"Hair" nude scene

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#25re: 'Hair' nude scene
Posted: 7/23/08 at 12:57pm

John Barrowman used the press and they had a field over him 'refusing' to disrobe. I know perfectly well about the cast disrobing at their discretion. Elaine Paige has said many times, along with Paul Nicolas that she only ever went 'full monty' about 4 or 5 times during the original London run at the Shaftesbury. Paul Nicolas stated that it all depended what the cast had smoked or drank in the hours leading up to the performance!!!
I saw the first national UK tour and I'm sure I told my mother I was going to see 'No, No Nanette!' in the New Theatre Cardiff!

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 7/23/08 at 12:57 PM

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#26re: 'Hair' nude scene
Posted: 7/23/08 at 1:03pm

I so thought CurtainPullDowner would have started this thread

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

temms Profile Photo
temms
#27re: 'Hair' nude scene
Posted: 7/23/08 at 1:27pm

The nude scene is in the last chorus of "Where Do I Go?". It's when the ensemble is singing "Beads/Flowers/Freedom/Happiness" underneath Claude's "Why do I live?/Why do I die?/Tell me where..." etc.

It literally lasts less than 30 seconds and is usually done with the cast standing underneath a scrim with dim and flashing lights. The Barrowman revival had them step out from underneath the scrim and there was full lighting, but that was more overt than originally intended.

I saw that Old Vic production with Barrowman - it was very, very slick. You saw quite a bit of Barrowman throuhgout, actually - just not everything and not in the Act One finale. But his character was never written to be naked, so any press about it was completely manufactured.

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#28re: 'Hair' nude scene
Posted: 7/23/08 at 3:20pm

Ok, I love that song, esp. Julia Murney's version on the benefit CD

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

#29re: 'Hair' nude scene
Posted: 7/23/08 at 3:38pm

saw it last year. at the park. it had nudity. no big whoop. literally.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#30re: 'Hair' nude scene
Posted: 7/23/08 at 3:48pm

Hiram Keller from After Dark, 1978

re: 'Hair' nude scene

Paul Jabara, Suzanne Nostrand and Hiram Keller

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#31re: 'Hair' nude scene
Posted: 7/23/08 at 4:06pm

Keller looks a little Groffish in the bottom picture.
They should get Groff a wig like that.

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#32re: 'Hair' nude scene
Posted: 7/23/08 at 4:07pm

My chief disappointment was that none of the good-looking ones took their clothes off -- only the grungy ones that no one cared what they looked like anyway.

I love you, Ed~for saying that! As it is "ALWAYS" the case specially in my gym's locker room!

J*

Updated On: 7/23/08 at 04:07 PM

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#33re: 'Hair' nude scene
Posted: 7/23/08 at 4:25pm

Has the nude scene always been in "Where Do I Go?" for the professional productions? I saw a regional production and I'm pretty sure it was at the end of "Hare Krishna".

Adam Chris Profile Photo
Adam Chris
#34re: 'Hair' nude scene
Posted: 7/23/08 at 5:29pm

Hey CatNYRevival, I saw the one in Horton Plaza in San Diego about 3 years ago.
It had the nudity in that song while the whole tribe danced around in the dark.
It also some nudity sprinkled here and there in the 1st act.

Is that the one you saw?

temms Profile Photo
temms
#35re: 'Hair' nude scene
Posted: 7/23/08 at 5:57pm

Yeah, nudity has cropped up in other places than "Where Do I Go" in some other productions, but that was originally the only spot. It's actually not even indicated in the script - it's just "performance tradition". Some directors sprinkle it elsewhere.

gvendo2005 Profile Photo
gvendo2005
#36re: 'Hair' nude scene
Posted: 7/23/08 at 6:37pm

At least one first-run production in Mexico City assumed that as long as the characters are lighting up in "Walking in Space," put the nudity there (which apparently worked well), and in another production, they were very blunt and stuck the nudity in the scene with "The Bed." (Apparently, that didn't go over so well, as it made a playful number celebrating all the innocent uses of the bed with a giant phallus that has balloons explode out of it to take the mickey out of the establishment audience into a grotty orgy.)

"There is no problem so big that it cannot be run away from." ~ Charles M. Schulz