pixeltracker

random Kristin Chenoweth question

random Kristin Chenoweth question

Harpz2006
#1random Kristin Chenoweth question
Posted: 7/28/08 at 11:13pm

I remember hearing in 2007 how everyone thought she'd be nominated for "The Apple Tree," and then she wasn't... was that a big upset (I mean, LBB beat her out for a nom... I love her to death, but still!).
Updated On: 7/28/08 at 11:13 PM

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#2re: random Kristin Chenoweth question
Posted: 7/28/08 at 11:44pm

Who is Kristin Chenoweth?

Isn't it that Emmy Award nominated actress from ABC TV's PUSHING DAISIES series?

Has she been on Broadway? What shows?

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#2re: random Kristin Chenoweth question
Posted: 7/28/08 at 11:55pm

Disregard BrodyFosse123.

Yes, it was a big deal that Chenoweth's performance in THE APPLE TREE was snubbed in favor of both Laura Bell Bundy and Debra Monk's supporting role in CURTAINS.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

Harpz2006
#3re: random Kristin Chenoweth question
Posted: 7/29/08 at 12:04am

Haha, thanks, Foster- I did read the boards last year, but somehow missed that- it's something that pops into my mind one in awhile but never seems important enough to mull over for long. Sorry it was such a late/random question... but thanks for your answer!

insertclevernamehere Profile Photo
insertclevernamehere
#4re: random Kristin Chenoweth question
Posted: 7/29/08 at 12:39am

I was shocked she didn't get nominated. I never got to see it, but I remember one of the critics suggesting that scientists should clone Chenoweth. I thought that review sealed the deal.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention...I'm the good cop, he's the bad cop.

insertclevernamehere Profile Photo
insertclevernamehere
#5re: random Kristin Chenoweth question
Posted: 7/29/08 at 12:39am

I was shocked she didn't get nominated. I never got to see it, but I remember one of the critics suggesting that scientists should clone Chenoweth. I thought that review sealed the deal.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention...I'm the good cop, he's the bad cop.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#6re: random Kristin Chenoweth question
Posted: 7/29/08 at 1:00am

I was kind of shocked when Chenoweth was snubbed, to this day I don't get how Bundy got nominated over her. I found Chenoweth rather fascinating and spectacular in THE APPLE TREE.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Wanna Be A Foster
#7re: random Kristin Chenoweth question
Posted: 7/29/08 at 1:04am

I agree, Ray. Chenoweth was magnificent in THE APPLE TREE.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."

FranzRelax
#8re: random Kristin Chenoweth question
Posted: 7/29/08 at 1:04am

Debra Monk was an expected nominee. She won the Drama Desk in the featured category though the shared above the title billing with DHP.

We serve their food, We carve their meat, We tend to their house, We polish their Silverware.

Wanna Be A Foster
#9re: random Kristin Chenoweth question
Posted: 7/29/08 at 1:07am

Debra Monk was about as expected as Kristin Chenoweth. It could have gone either way, but Chenoweth led her company. Monk didn't turn in anything as impressive.

-Kad

FranzRelax
#10re: random Kristin Chenoweth question
Posted: 7/29/08 at 1:17am

Are you serious?

We serve their food, We carve their meat, We tend to their house, We polish their Silverware.

ko74612 Profile Photo
ko74612
#11re: random Kristin Chenoweth question
Posted: 7/29/08 at 3:33am

I can not speak for Debra Monk's preformance as I'm completely unfamiliar with it. But I do understand that Ms. Chenoweth stole the show per-usual.

I think the snub might have been more of a commentary on the quality of the show as a whole rather than Chenoweth's indiviual preformance. If I recall the first time around with Barbara Cook the show wasn't reviewed well.

Did the revival get any noms at all?

Why do we follow leaders who never lead?
Why does it take catastrophe to start a revolution?
Tick Tick BOOM

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#12re: random Kristin Chenoweth question
Posted: 7/29/08 at 3:48am

The original production starred Barbara Harris, not Barbara Cook :) It also earned Harris a Tony Award, and garnered nods for Alan Alda, Bock and Harnick, Mike Nichols, and a few other nominations (including Best Musical).
I believe the revival only got the obligatory Best Revival nod at the Tonys.
I thought Debra Monk did a swell job in CURTAINS and I was okay with her getting a nomination, it was the fact they nominated Laura Bell Bundy over Chenoweth's magnificent star turn that doesn't sit well with me. THE APPLE TREE was my first time seeing Chenoweth live, and I'll never forget how wonderful she was (I'll always remember her tour de force as Eve, and her hilarious Barbera). I do agree that her snub was probably a comment on the whole quality of the show though.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
Updated On: 7/29/08 at 03:48 AM

Wanna Be A Foster
#13re: random Kristin Chenoweth question
Posted: 7/29/08 at 3:49am

Debra Monk could have given her performance in CURTAINS while seated in an E-Z Chair. She was practically immobile throughout the whole performance.

ko74612, THE APPLE TREE got a nomination for Best Revival of a Musical.

-Kad

biggest CHENO fan Profile Photo
biggest CHENO fan
#14re: random Kristin Chenoweth question
Posted: 7/29/08 at 7:30am

As much as I love Laura Bell Bundy, I am STILL confused as to why Cheno didn't get a nom! I was extremely disappointed. What happened?

jennamajig Profile Photo
jennamajig
#15re: random Kristin Chenoweth question
Posted: 7/29/08 at 10:43am

Kristin made the Apple Tree. It was my first time seeing her live and it was fantastic! She entertained me every minute she was on stage and I left saying wow - she does live up to all the hype :). I cannot say the same about LBB, and her nomination always baffled me.

I also saw Debra Monk (in the same week, no less) and while good, Chenoweth's performance was worlds above.

Jon
#16re: random Kristin Chenoweth question
Posted: 7/29/08 at 12:16pm

ko74612 - Kristin Chenoweth certainly did NOT "steal the show" in APPLE TREE. You can't "steal" something that already belongs to you. Kristin Chenoweth WAS THE STAR OF THE SHOW.

You can say she "stole" the revival of YOUR'E A GOOD MAN, CHARLIE BROWN". You can say she "stole" STEEL PIER.

Barbra Streisand "stole" I CAN GET IT FOR YOU WHOLESALE. She did NOT "steal" FUNNY GIRL.

Videos