Mame at the Tonys

Connemara Profile Photo
Connemara
#1Mame at the Tonys
Posted: 8/9/08 at 12:28am

I once saw footage of "Mame" from the musical of the same name being performed at the Tonys. I'm pretty sure it was from the '83 revival but I can't be positive.

Can anyone confirm/deny? And if anyone has that footage I'd like to do a trade or something.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
sondheimfan2 Profile Photo
sondheimfan2
#2re: Mame at the Tonys
Posted: 8/9/08 at 2:12pm

Don't know about Tony footage, but I saw the show in it's pre-broadway run at the Academy of Music in Philly. It was terrific. Anne Francine was a hilarious Vera.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#3re: Mame at the Tonys
Posted: 8/9/08 at 3:13pm

??? Bea Arthur was the original Broadway Vera. Anne Francine replaced her on Broadway.

Jane Connell, Bea Arthur and Angela Lansbury:
re: Mame at the Tonys

sondheimfan2
#4re: Mame at the Tonys
Posted: 8/9/08 at 7:30pm

Yes, Brody, I know that. I'm sorry...I should have written the pre-Broadway run of the early 80s revival.

sondheimfan2
#5re: Mame at the Tonys
Posted: 8/9/08 at 7:38pm

Mame

George Gershwin Theatre, (7/24/1983 - 8/28/1983)
Preview: Jul 20, 1983 Total Previews: 7
Opening: Jul 24, 1983
Closing: Aug 28, 1983 Total Performances: 41

Opening Night Cast

Angela Lansbury Mame Dennis
Jane Connell Agnes Gooch
Anne Francine Vera Charles

I don't think the youtube clip is from the revival.

Connemara Profile Photo
Connemara
#6re: Mame at the Tonys
Posted: 8/10/08 at 3:12pm

IIRC the YouTube clip is just a one-off performance Angie and Bea did in the late '80's.

Not Barker, Todd. Profile Photo
Not Barker, Todd.
#7re: Mame at the Tonys
Posted: 8/10/08 at 3:37pm

I think you are talking the clip where she walks down a set of stairs in a fur whilst actors dressed as butlers sing "Mame" and she eventually winds up dancing with the then mayor of NYC.

PLEASE! Do not post anything negative or dramatic! DidYouReallyHearMe has LOST the ability to ignore such posts and he will comment! Please, help him.

With Clay Aiken in Spamalot, all of Broadway is singing a collective "There! Right! There!" -Me-

"Not Barker, Todd is the only person I've ever known who could imitate Katherine Hepburn...in print." -nmartin-

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#8re: Mame at the Tonys
Posted: 8/10/08 at 3:41pm

Yes, that's the clip that he must be referring to. It's a good clip and Angela is quite surprised when he shows up at the end of the number.

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#9re: Mame at the Tonys
Posted: 8/10/08 at 3:49pm

Wow, either I was asleep, or I must have blinked in 1983 and totally missed that revival. I don't recall that happening at all. Only 41 performances? Was that the original "limited run" planned?

sondheimfan2
#10re: Mame at the Tonys
Posted: 8/10/08 at 4:32pm

No, not the actual "limited run". I think I read somewhere that the economic times of the early '80s had something to do with the show's unsuccessful run

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#11re: Mame at the Tonys
Posted: 8/10/08 at 4:40pm

The 1983 Mame revival was a national tour that producer Mitch Leigh hastily booked on Broadway to capitalize on the Jerry Herman renaissance that was occurring with La Cage aux Folles, which was a huge hit in Boston and about to open on Broadway. There was no time to build an advance or promote it properly. Even the Playbill didn't have the show's artwork - just black printer's type that said "MAME" (you can see it used in that YouTube clip earlier in this thread, even though that appearance was a one-off that Lansbury and Arthur did for the 1987 Tony Awards). After some chilly reviews, particularly from Frank Rich, the Mame revival died in about a month. I remember seeing it at a Saturday matinee with maybe 50 other people in the Gershwin. A consummate professional, Lansbury still gave it her all.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

Videos