pixeltracker

New information on the Rocky Horror Remake...

New information on the Rocky Horror Remake...

toanythingtaboo 2 Profile Photo
toanythingtaboo 2
#1New information on the Rocky Horror Remake...
Posted: 8/13/08 at 11:34am

A remake of The Rocky Horror Picture Show is to be made by Sky Movies in partnership with Fox TV Studios, MTV and BermanBraun.

Lou Adler, who executive produced the original 1975 film version of Richard O'Brien's stage production, has signed on as executive producer on the remake. O'Brien will serve as co-producer alongside Jim Sharman, co-writer of the original film's screenplay.

"The Rocky Horror phenomenon has a life of its own that has reincarnated itself in numerous ways since its birth," said Adler. "Our hope has always been that each new endeavour and rebirth will expose the Rocky Horror Experience to new audiences and expand the fan base. Those new fans and old alike will return to the original film to enjoy and participate with the exceptional and timeless performances of Tim Curry, Richard O'Brien, Susan Sarandon and the entire cast. So here we go again, with a new cast, believing that the Sky and MTV remake will add to the Rocky Horror phenomenon..."

Cast and director for the remake have yet to be confirmed. The film will have its UK premiere exclusively on Sky Movies.

"Rocky Horror is a global phenomenon with millions of devoted fans around the world," said Ian Lewis, director of Sky Movies and Sky Box Office. "An opportunity to update the show for the 21st Century, while keeping many of the elements that made it such a success in the first place was therefore just too good to pass by. We’re very excited to be bringing this exclusively to Sky customers in the UK."

Updated On: 8/13/08 at 11:34 AM

#2re: New information on the Rocky Horror Remake...
Posted: 8/13/08 at 1:15pm

re: New information on the Rocky Horror Remake...

Truthfuly, I may have to sit this one out. Kind of feels like what happened to the rent movie. Big budget, glossy, felt like it was poppified. Not that MTV doesn't stand for quality *gag* but I just can't see this being as good as the original. I don't see much point
Please click to vote for me to see ave q

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#2re: New information on the Rocky Horror Remake...
Posted: 8/13/08 at 1:26pm

I voted for kimd84.

DMsquared2 Profile Photo
DMsquared2
#3re: New information on the Rocky Horror Remake...
Posted: 8/13/08 at 3:33pm

I initially don't like the idea of a remake but as more info. is released I find myself becoming more ambivalent.

AngusN
#4re: New information on the Rocky Horror Remake...
Posted: 8/13/08 at 4:09pm

Richard O'Brien has denied his involvement in the UK press, stating that he does not condone the remake.

I personally think it is a good idea, as it will make it accessible to a new generation. While the original is great, it does look very dated (that is the appeal for me). However, I can't imagine the High School Musical generation taking to it.

I would love to see Britney Spears as Janet.

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#5re: New information on the Rocky Horror Remake...
Posted: 8/13/08 at 4:16pm

Richard O'Brien has denied his involvement in the UK press, stating that he does not condone the remake.

Doesn't O'Brien hold the rights as the creator? Why doesn't he just not allow it if he doesn't condone it?

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

toanythingtaboo 2
#6re: New information on the Rocky Horror Remake...
Posted: 8/13/08 at 4:41pm

Thats what I was thinking...most movie musicals right now are cashing in on the HSM crowd...but this really isn't going to be appropriate for them.

I also don't get why its being aired on sky movies, granted I don't know the ratings for the Premiere channel (which I'm guessing it will be on)...but surely airing it on MTV would make more sense? Maybe it's addressing the snobbery towards MTV by not strongly associating with it in order to keep 'older' fans less isolated.

Do we think it will have a full UK cast then? If they want this to be a success, surely an all star American cast would be a safe bet?

Alas, at least its not going to the cinema.

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#7re: New information on the Rocky Horror Remake...
Posted: 8/13/08 at 4:44pm

I think what bothers me is the fact that it WONT be going to theaters. I mean, if your going to remake something, go all out. Don't use the same script with a made for tv budget, a made for tv cast, a made for tv soundtrack, with made for tv production quality.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#8re: New information on the Rocky Horror Remake...
Posted: 8/13/08 at 7:02pm

Why would an american cast make it a safer bet, we have some superstar actors here you know

And O'Brien sold the show etc years ago with the stipulation that his name still appears on all advertising

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

withoutlovewithoutU Profile Photo
withoutlovewithoutU
#9re: New information on the Rocky Horror Remake...
Posted: 8/13/08 at 8:28pm

I am straddling the line between curious and annoyed. If O'Brian is actually involved then I feel a bit better, but I know it will most likely pale in comparison to the original (which I happen to be listening to right now!)

"If we don't live happily ever after at least we survive until the end of the week!" -Kermit the frog "I need the money... it costs a lot to look this cheap!" -Dolly P. "Oh please, Over at 'Gypsy' Patti LuPone hasn't even alienated her first daughter yet!" Mary Testa in "Xanadu" "...Like a drunk Chita Rivera!" Robin de Jesus in "In the Heights"

"B*tch, I don't know your life." -Xanadu After that if he still doesn't understand why you were uncomfortable and are now infuriated, kick him again but this time with Jazz Hands!!! -KillerTofu

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#10re: New information on the Rocky Horror Remake...
Posted: 8/13/08 at 10:19pm

I don't think there's no way I will ever support this horrible idea.
Are they going to get rid of the stupid moments like "same room, different filter, cheap movie"? (amongst the thousands of other ridiculous mistakes or what you want to call them that make the movie so much fun).
No. Just no.

jeniferrenepatricia Profile Photo
jeniferrenepatricia
#11re: New information on the Rocky Horror Remake...
Posted: 8/14/08 at 2:57am

Britney Spears as Janet? Please, God, no....

Acting should be bigger than life. Scripts should be bigger than life. It should all be bigger than life.- Bette Davis

toanythingtaboo 2
#12re: New information on the Rocky Horror Remake...
Posted: 8/14/08 at 5:50am

The way this film will be a financial success (lets keep in mind that that's what they want, first and foremost) is to have 'big names' taking on the roles.

Granted, we have amazing talent coming out of the UK right now, but i'm going to hazard a guess that the more serious actors won't touch this, and for popularity in the teen+ market they will need current day celebrities.

That being said, surely the best way to do it would have a predominately American cast , because celebrities in the US are generally quite well known here too...whereas, vice versa; not so much.

I'm all for an all British cast, but being realistic; they won't.

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#13re: New information on the Rocky Horror Remake...
Posted: 8/14/08 at 8:09am

Zac Effron for Brad. He's just like the character: pure white bread and boring.

spidey_882 Profile Photo
spidey_882
#14re: New information on the Rocky Horror Remake...
Posted: 8/14/08 at 8:11am

If they're going to do this, I'd love to see what Alan Cumming could do cast as Frank.

Now, mother always said that whenever you hear a strange, frightening, and potentially life-threatening ghostly chant coming from the dark woods that there's one thing that you should do: Not wake the others and go investigate it alone...
Updated On: 8/14/08 at 08:11 AM

withoutlovewithoutU Profile Photo
withoutlovewithoutU
#15re: New information on the Rocky Horror Remake...
Posted: 8/14/08 at 11:01am

He probably wouldn't do it, but I would love to see Jack Black as Eddie.

"If we don't live happily ever after at least we survive until the end of the week!" -Kermit the frog "I need the money... it costs a lot to look this cheap!" -Dolly P. "Oh please, Over at 'Gypsy' Patti LuPone hasn't even alienated her first daughter yet!" Mary Testa in "Xanadu" "...Like a drunk Chita Rivera!" Robin de Jesus in "In the Heights"

"B*tch, I don't know your life." -Xanadu After that if he still doesn't understand why you were uncomfortable and are now infuriated, kick him again but this time with Jazz Hands!!! -KillerTofu

Shapusen Profile Photo
Shapusen
#16re: New information on the Rocky Horror Remake...
Posted: 8/18/08 at 12:46pm

While I can't decide whether I should be interested or terrified by this whole concept of remaking Rocky Horror, I saw this and thought the people of this thread might be interested.

From wenn.com, via imdb.com, via oh no they didn't lj blog:

Brand Favourite For Rocky Horror Remake

British funnyman Russell Brand is expected to take the lead role in the remake of cult classic The Rocky Horror Picture Show, according to reports.

The original 1975 movie, which starred Tim Curry, Susan Sarandon and Meat Loaf, is set to be remade, with studio bosses were keen to replicate the original's success.

And British comedian Brand, who kicked off his film career in Forgetting Sarah Marshall earlier this year, is favourite to take on Curry's coveted role of transvestite scientist Frank N Furter, according to the London Paper.

A source tells the publication, "It would make sense for him to be Frank N Furter."

Russel Brand Favorite for Rocky Horror Remake

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#17re: New information on the Rocky Horror Remake...
Posted: 8/18/08 at 12:59pm

Can he sing?

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#18re: New information on the Rocky Horror Remake...
Posted: 8/18/08 at 1:15pm

Actually, he played a singer in Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMaAf4ChGaA

Eh, I can see it.

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#19re: New information on the Rocky Horror Remake...
Posted: 8/18/08 at 1:17pm

I don't really like Russell Brand... but this is certainly more interesting casting than I could have expected. I shall keep a single eye open on this to see how it goes...

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#20re: New information on the Rocky Horror Remake...
Posted: 8/18/08 at 1:30pm

Now get Neil Patrick Harris for Brad and Kristen Bell for Janet and I'm officially interested.

toanythingtaboo 2
#21re: New information on the Rocky Horror Remake...
Posted: 8/18/08 at 2:30pm

I dunno.

I love Russell Brand, he cracks me up. BUT, he isn't as funny when he's scripted.

He's a comedian not an actor. He thrives on spur of the moment and he's actually incredibly witty, so pairing him up with very lame-style American humor doesn't work.

I don't see him in the role at all, it's almost...too obvious as well. He may be flamboyant, but its in a rock star way...not in a gay way.

There are far better actors fitted for the role.

gvendo2005 Profile Photo
gvendo2005
#22re: New information on the Rocky Horror Remake...
Posted: 8/18/08 at 2:33pm

Here's a cast I feel would be interesting. The heads at MTV wouldn't pick any of them, but probably interesting. First is the cast list, and then the reasons I chose them.

Usherette/The Lips: David Bowie
Brad: Clay Aiken
Janet: Brittany Snow
Narrator: Bill Hader
Riff Raff: Andrew Stockdale
Magenta: Amanda Palmer
Columbia: Megan Mullally
Frank-N-Furter: Jack Black
Rocky: Joe Anderson
Eddie: John C. Reilly
Dr. Scott: Christopher Lee

David Bowie is an obvious choice for that song, as the movie version of "Science Fiction, Double Feature" was based on Bowie's material. As for Clay Aiken, well, who more appropriate to be the recipient of Frank's lustful affection? (Wink wink.) And Brittany Snow is believably innocent, but if we still get to use the callback lines, that's what'd make it fun to call her a slut.

Bill Hader, SNL's pitch perfect "Vincent Price," was easily my first pick for the Narrator/Criminologist guy, and I wouldn't see anyone else play the role. Andrew Stockdale sings lead for Wolfmother, and Amanda Palmer is a vocalist for Dresden Dolls, so they have the creepy rock aesthetic to pull off the incestuous brother-sister team of Riff Raff and Magenta. And seriously, could you see anyone else but Megan Mullally tearing the **** out of Columbia? She practically played her on Will and Grace, but richer and bitchier and less extraterrestrial.

This is the one I feel I'd really have to defend. Jack Black as Frank-N-Furter, to me, is ideal casting. Okay, I know what you're saying..."hello, he's totally Eddie, and he so can't work the fishnets!" But that's an obvious conclusion to make. When people think of this character, they think, "Oh, it's got to be someone gay, or at the very least a serious actor!" But first and foremost, he is a parody, a joke, a mad scientist who just HAPPENS TO BE a series of bisexual stereotypes. He was written to be played with a nod and a wink, sort of a "how 'bout this crazy guy" aesthetic. On that character note and vocally, Jack Black is perfect. Really, no one could theoretically beat Tim Curry except someone like Jack Black. He's the only person I'd tolerate in a remake. Ahem...moving on...

Joe Anderson...the mooky blond kid who made Maxwell Edison such a memorable role in Across the Universe has a voice that could make "Sword of Damocles" rock harder than Trevor Horn's weak-ass dubbed-in vocal for the original film. John C. Reilly was a tough choice for Eddie, but he made an ideal replacement for Jack Black because he's a dead-on impressionist of many famous rock singers, and could carry this role like a pro.

And last but not least, Christopher Lee. Seriously. Need I defend this? The guy ain't that great a singer, but when I picture Dr. Scott, I picture someone better than Jonathan Adams from the original. And by Christ that means Christopher Lee.

"There is no problem so big that it cannot be run away from." ~ Charles M. Schulz

iamchanging9 Profile Photo
iamchanging9
#23re: New information on the Rocky Horror Remake...
Posted: 8/18/08 at 2:38pm

She would never do it but Amy Winehouse would be the best Magenta.

...everyone was doing the mambo and drinking golden cadillacs...

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#24re: New information on the Rocky Horror Remake...
Posted: 8/18/08 at 2:43pm

Except no.

Videos