Bailey After Blonde?

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#25re: Bailey After Blonde?
Posted: 9/3/08 at 10:41am

Well megs1122, Think about people who have played those roles.

Laura Bell Bundy- Glinda, Amber, Elle

Becky Gulsvig- Amber, Elle, and wants to play Glinda.

Megan Hilty- Glinda, 9 to 5 role.

and many more, people seem to play the same roles.

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#26re: Bailey After Blonde?
Posted: 9/3/08 at 10:46am

Megs - it's called TYPE CASTING. one of the biggest, most popular trends in the casting process of Broadway. Is that concept new to you???

We have some naive people on this board!

cudramacat
#27re: Bailey After Blonde?
Posted: 9/3/08 at 10:48am

I agree that Bailey is definitely talented. I actually didn't watch the MTV show so when I saw LB the other week I had no expectations for Bailey and I have to say I was very impressed. I definitely think she has the talent to make a career on Broadway and I hope she does.

Plus, she's from a town in SC that is only about 45 minutes from where I am from (I don't live there now, I just moved to NYC) so it's kind of fun to see a local girl go big but that's not why I am routing for her, it's just a bonus.

"Life has been your art. You have set yourself to music. Your days are your sonnets." -Oscar Wilde

megs1122 Profile Photo
megs1122
#28re: Bailey After Blonde?
Posted: 9/3/08 at 11:05am

Aw, thanks TooDarnHot for you very predictable negative answer!
Have a great day!

Shows seen in 2011: Rock of Ages (WE, Shaftesbury Theatre - 7 Oct), Jersey Boys (WE, Prince Edward Theatre - 1 Sep), Cirque du Soleil: Zarkana (Broadway, Radio City Music Hall - 26 Aug), RENT (Broadway, New World Stages - 25 Aug), Hair (Broadway, St. James Theatre - 24 Aug), The Book of Mormon (Broadway *WON LOTTO*, Eugene O'Neill Theatre - 24 Aug), Dress Circle Benefit Gala (WE, Her Majesty's Theatre - 7 Aug), Derren Brown: Svengali (WE, Shaftesbury Theatre - 6 July), Lend me a Tenor the Musical (WE, Gielgud Theatre - 3 June), Lord of the Flies (WE, Open Air Theatre in Regent's Park - 2 June), In a Forest Dark and Deep (WE, Vaudeville Theatre - 31 May), Jersey Boys (WE, Prince Edward Theatre - 28 May), The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (WE, Gielgud Theatre - 2 May), Priscilla Queen of the Desert (WE, Palace Theatre - 29 Apr), Les Miserables (WE, Queens Theatre - 20 Apr), Thrill me (WE, Tristan Bates Theatre - 14 Apr), Ghost the Musical (Manchester, Opera House - 13 Apr), Million Dollar Quartere (WE, Noel Coward Theatre - 5 Apr), The Lion King (WE, Lyceum Theatre - 16 Mar), The Exonerated (WE, Charing Cross Theatre - 15 Mar), The Children's Hour (WE, Comedy Theatre - 14 Mar), Clybourne Park (WE, Wyndhams Theatre - 12 Mar), Company (WE, Southwark Playhouse - 12 Mar), The 25th annual putnam county spelling bee (WE, Donmar - 2 March), Jersey Boys (WE, Prince Edward Theatre - 11 Feb), Million Dollar Quartet (WE, Noel Coward - 9 Feb), Love Story (WE, Duchess Theatre - 7 Feb), Lance Horne:First things last (WE, Garrick Theatre - 30 Jan), La Boheme (WE, Soho Theatre - 29 Jan), Legally Blonde (WE, Savoy Theatre - 10.Jan)

blondebaby589 Profile Photo
blondebaby589
#29re: Bailey After Blonde?
Posted: 9/3/08 at 11:35am

I can see her getting a lot of offers partially because of her name. I'm not saying that she isn't talented, because she is. But she's recruited a lot of fans through the tv show and they'll come see whatever she's casted in. So part of her casting will probably be based on publicity.

www.tinydancer5.tumblr.com

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#30re: Bailey After Blonde?
Posted: 9/3/08 at 12:07pm

Didn't Hilty do Glinda in WICKED for years? If 9 TO 5 last for 5 years, Hilty will probably do the entire run of the show! re: Bailey After Blonde?

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#31re: Bailey After Blonde?
Posted: 9/3/08 at 2:17pm

Hilty's association with Wicked began when she replaced Laura Bell Bundy as the standby for Glinda in the Broadway company. She ended up replacing Jennifer Laura Thompson around June 2005, did a stint with Shoshana Bean on the tour, and then opened the L.A. company, which she only just left this past winter. So, she has been involved with Wicked for quite some time.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#32re: Bailey After Blonde?
Posted: 9/3/08 at 2:21pm

Yes, like Marian Seldes and Brenda Braxton, Megan Hilty obviously has no problem doing long runs in shows...and keeps it fresh too! Saw her in LA in November 2007 and she was even better than when I had seen her on Broadway.

...and now back to Bailey (who won't be replacing Megan in 9 TO 5)

Hanna from Hamburg Profile Photo
Hanna from Hamburg
#33re: Bailey After Blonde?
Posted: 9/3/08 at 2:42pm

I LOVE this whole "name recognition" thing . . . no one except a few people who watched this casting show will know who she is. A couple of weeks in a reality show (1 out of about 500 of them, at that) doesn't equal "name recognition." It's like saying that Adrianne Curry is the same as Nicole Kidman . . . sorry, not the same.

EDIT: Just for the record . . . not trying to say that Bailey isn't talented . . . just on record regarding name recognition.

". . . POP . . ."
Updated On: 9/3/08 at 02:42 PM

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#34re: Bailey After Blonde?
Posted: 9/3/08 at 2:52pm

I hardly think she's going to be getting offered roles based on name recognition. In fact, I wouldn't hold my breath expecting her to be headlining a show after Legally Blonde closes. She'll probably be either be in the ensemble of a show or a replacement in a featured role, and there's nothing wrong with that. I think she'd make a wonderful Dainty June in Gypsy and she'd also be good as Inga in Young Frankenstein.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible
Updated On: 9/3/08 at 02:52 PM

Elphie3 Profile Photo
Elphie3
#35re: Bailey After Blonde?
Posted: 9/3/08 at 3:05pm

I could see her doing something like going into "Hairspray" as Amber - even becoming a Disney girl... after all they had Ashley Spencer take on Amber

Madame Morrible: "So you take the chicken, now it must be a white chicken. The corpse can be any color. And that is the spell for lost luggage!" - The Yellow Brick Road Not Taken

DefyGravity777
#36re: Bailey After Blonde?
Posted: 9/3/08 at 5:34pm

How would Bailey be stunt casting in Wicked?

Don't believe everything that you hear! Only the peeps involved know the truth!

acrocksyo Profile Photo
acrocksyo
#37re: Bailey After Blonde?
Posted: 9/4/08 at 4:08pm

I saw her last night. She was okay, perfectly capable in the role, but she didn't really bring anything new or special to it, her comic timing wasn't as good as LBB and her singing was okay. She did well for someone who hasn't done a lot of theater in the past, but she needs some more training if she's going to get cast in anything else and be a star in any other capacity.

http://theaterfag.blogspot.com/ Reviews and the like

ErinDillyFan Profile Photo
ErinDillyFan
#38re: Bailey After Blonde?
Posted: 9/4/08 at 4:43pm

There won't be an after, she will play the part until she is 49, breaking all broadway records. Problem solved.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#39re: Bailey After Blonde?
Posted: 9/4/08 at 5:18pm

I agree with her about having another job after Legally Blonde is over.

I remember reading the list of shows that she was in some inteview somewhere. Some of her roles were sopranos so she could have the voice for Glinda.

I am sure that there are other things that she can do. I agree that if she creates some space between her and the reality show that she can go a little farther then if she held onto being the winner of the reality show.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

Hanna from Hamburg Profile Photo
Hanna from Hamburg
#40re: Bailey After Blonde?
Posted: 9/4/08 at 5:29pm

She will ONLY get invited to take over another role if the producers think she's going to be able to POSITIVELY impact the box office. You can't say that the box office for Legally Blonde has THAT much to do with Bailey . . . that show as a weekly, 1-hour nationally televised commercial for that show. I'm sure some people are coming to see Bailey, I think it's more likely they are coming to see something they caught on television.

I don't believe in a million years Bailey is going to be viewed as that 'IT' girl for producers of other shows. Unless she makes MAJOR connections during her time in the show, she's going to have to audition and do what every other starving actor does . . . I'm not saying it won't happen that she'll be in another show. I'm just saying it's expecting a lot to think people will be fighting over her.

". . . POP . . ."