Ave Q Bway vs Tour

puppet
#1Ave Q Bway vs Tour
Posted: 9/9/08 at 10:41pm

The tour cast is fantastic, especially Rod McClure. I wonder if the Broadway cast is as good.

Updated On: 9/11/08 at 10:41 PM

anmiller07 Profile Photo
anmiller07
#2re: Ave Q Bway vs Tour
Posted: 9/9/08 at 11:04pm

To be fair...
Its not a requirement of actors to be nice at the stagedoor, or even participate at all, and you certainly cant judge their performance because of their offstage attitude can you?

With that said....he was really nice to me at the SD, as was the entire cast. I enjoyed the tour much more than seeing the show on Broadway.

musicalman2
#2re: Ave Q Bway vs Tour
Posted: 9/9/08 at 11:12pm

We have seen both and both shows are excellent. Have seen Broadway 3 times and tour once. We met the male lead after the tour and several other cast and they were very nice.

ragg_ballad
#3re: Ave Q Bway vs Tour
Posted: 9/9/08 at 11:23pm

I agree with what anmiller said. Actors leaving the SD is like you leaving work, so they may not always be having a good day.

Anyways, I saw the tour, and loved it so much I tried to see it again before it left Chicago. It was really a lot of fun and really energetic.
I have not seen the Broadway company, but have heard that they're also good...maybe not the best there's been but good. (Some in the cast are amazing!) But I think you would enjoy it either way. (Again, I haven't seen the Broadway company.)

:)

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#4re: Ave Q Bway vs Tour
Posted: 9/10/08 at 12:49am

Is the end verse of "Schadenfreude" still in the Broadway show? It was gone on tour.

I saw the show once on Broadway with the OBC and in June on tour in Seattle. Enjoyed them both. The show is slightly less intimate in a big tour house. It seems weird hearing the songs with anyone other than the OBC, kinda like wrong sounding muppets, but it's still and enjoyable show no matter what.

friedrichVT
#5re: Ave Q Bway vs Tour
Posted: 9/10/08 at 1:03am

Both productions are very good. If you are referring to the male lead in the tour as one to be not so nice or having brushed people off,you really are mistaken OR must have done something to offend, as Rob Mcclure is one of the kindest and most generous of people,PARTICULARLY at the stage door.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#6re: Ave Q Bway vs Tour
Posted: 9/10/08 at 1:06am

Since when is an actor's stage door demeanor affect their performance in the show?

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#7re: Ave Q Bway vs Tour
Posted: 9/10/08 at 1:39am

I agree BobbyBubby. I think a sign of a good performer is that even though they might be having a good day you couldn't tell from their performance. Hell, I remember doing a long run of Carousel where I had several bad days in a row but I went on and gave my all. In fact performing was a kind of therapy in a way.

And to answer your question Bobby, the last verse of Schadenfreude is not part of the Broadway company either. I think it was one of the changes that they made when the show went to Vegas.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#8re: Ave Q Bway vs Tour
Posted: 9/10/08 at 2:13am

Is there a reason for the cut?

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#9re: Ave Q Bway vs Tour
Posted: 9/10/08 at 2:23am

I think the reason for the cut was due to time constrante. I think (don't quote me on this) that this was one of the things they cut when they were altering the show from full length to 90 min. There were some other changes as well. For example the slower tempo at the beginning of Purpose was something that they did in Vegas and added to their other productions as well as the joke that Brian says to Princeton right before There Is Life Outside Your Apartment. I remember that the joke had no punch line and it had something to do with an octopus and a vibrator in a super market.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#10re: Ave Q Bway vs Tour
Posted: 9/10/08 at 2:25am

They should just cut "I Wish I Could Go Back to College". Great song with a great meaning, but it always gets more laughs than it should...

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#11re: Ave Q Bway vs Tour
Posted: 9/10/08 at 2:30am

I think that the point of I Wish I could go back to College was to have a spoof on Sesamie Street songs like I don't want to live on the moon. Because of that I like that song and I think the laughs aren't over the top at all. I think that in Vegas when they altered the show for lenght they actually did cut that song completly. It's one of those songs that is nice but doesn't add or take away anything from the table. Which is why I think they cut it for the 90 min version in Vegas.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#12re: Ave Q Bway vs Tour
Posted: 9/10/08 at 2:33am

I think the older set get that song completely. Both times I have seen the show, the giggles seem to come from those still in or yet to reach college. I think "It's a Fine, Fine Line" should be the 1 dramatic point of the evening. 2 just doesn't work for me.

puppet
#13re: Ave Q Bway vs Tour
Posted: 9/10/08 at 12:52pm

I'm a member of the "older set" and I got and loved every joke and musical number. Have seen the show 5 times on tour.

Updated On: 9/11/08 at 12:52 PM

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#14re: Ave Q Bway vs Tour
Posted: 9/10/08 at 2:21pm

The tour opened in Denver last night. Still not sure if I will see it.

Just give the world Love.

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#15re: Ave Q Bway vs Tour
Posted: 9/10/08 at 2:26pm

Robert McClure? I thought he was a total sweetheart. But anyways...

tracygee
#16re: Ave Q Bway vs Tour
Posted: 9/10/08 at 2:32pm

I agree, Robert McClure was *excellent* in the tour and sweet as could be to us at the stagedoor.

I liked the tour version better than the one on Broadway, although I'm not sure I could pinpoint why, exactly. Of course, I was sick when I was in New York, so that may be why the Broadway show doesn't seem as good to me now.

Yes, it's definitely worth seeing on tour if it comes to a city near you.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#17re: Ave Q Bway vs Tour
Posted: 9/10/08 at 4:57pm

Bobby, I am in college and I laugh at that song because I know the things they are singing about will be true for me.

Also, I think that it makes sense to have it in the show when you think about what is going on. Rod is living on the street, Kate is crushed because she is at The Empier State Building waiting for Princeton to come and Princeton got dumped by kate. They are all longing for a better place in in thier lives and to them, college was that better place, that place where they wish they could be when things weren't so bad.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#18re: Ave Q Bway vs Tour
Posted: 9/10/08 at 5:57pm

It also gets laughs because a lot of it's funny. Some of the lyrics are funny, some of the memories it triggers are funny, its funny because it's ironic. It's not intended to be a thoroughly dramatic moment like Fine, Fine Line is.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Videos