News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Roseanne Barr Headed to XANADU?

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#1Roseanne Barr Headed to XANADU?
Posted: 9/10/08 at 12:03am

Word over on ATC is that Roseanne Barr may be headed to XANADU in an attempt to keep the box office numbers up post-Whoopi (I'm guessing she too would play Caliope.)

Anyone heard anything similar?

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 9/10/08 at 12:03 AM

Trekkie2
#2re: Roseanne Barr Headed to XANADU?
Posted: 9/10/08 at 12:05am

That would be meant to RAISE sales?... Um... HOW? We all know what happens when Roseanne sings...

"I think of avant-garde as downtown shows where you rub waffles and chocolate on yourself."- Hunter Bell

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#2re: Roseanne Barr Headed to XANADU?
Posted: 9/10/08 at 12:07am

They want ticket sales to increase so they bring in ROSEANNE? If they would've done this fifteen years ago, it would've been a major deal...does anyone even like her anymore?

I hope this isn't true...

They could get such amazing people to replace Testa and Hoffman...even some that would be considered stunt casting. This would be a bad move if it was true...if it is, I hope I'm wrong and that she's wonderful.

LadyRosecoe
#3re: Roseanne Barr Headed to XANADU?
Posted: 9/10/08 at 12:07am

If she got booed singing THE NATIONAL ANTHEM, one of the most fool-proof ways to inspire a crowd, I'd love to see her pull this off.

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#4re: Roseanne Barr Headed to XANADU?
Posted: 9/10/08 at 12:08am

She's a triple threat.

re: Roseanne Barr Headed to XANADU?

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#5re: Roseanne Barr Headed to XANADU?
Posted: 9/10/08 at 12:09am

Think of all the amazing comedians who could play those roles though...some will never happen for varied reasons but Rosie O'Donnell, Kathy Griffin, Joan Rivers (!!!), Joy Behar, ...age doesn't seem to matter with the roles which is good and so many different people could take such interesting twists on the role.

I hope this rumor isn't true.

jeniferrenepatricia Profile Photo
jeniferrenepatricia
#6re: Roseanne Barr Headed to XANADU?
Posted: 9/10/08 at 12:17am

God, I hope not. Her show was great, but Broadway? No way...

Acting should be bigger than life. Scripts should be bigger than life. It should all be bigger than life.- Bette Davis

Trekkie2
#7re: Roseanne Barr Headed to XANADU?
Posted: 9/10/08 at 12:23am

To add to your awesome list, WiCkEDrOcKS: Lilly Tomlin, Candice Bergen, Bonnie Hunt (once that talk show is canceled in 5 seconds), Jane Curtain; Again, most are unrealistic, but any of those would be GREAT.

"I think of avant-garde as downtown shows where you rub waffles and chocolate on yourself."- Hunter Bell
Updated On: 9/10/08 at 12:23 AM

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#8re: Roseanne Barr Headed to XANADU?
Posted: 9/10/08 at 12:30am

LOVES ME SOME BONNIE HUNT!

fnyboi88 Profile Photo
fnyboi88
#9re: Roseanne Barr Headed to XANADU?
Posted: 9/10/08 at 12:32am

Didn't she have a talk show before that got canceled? Or was it her own sitcom where she was a talk show host and it got canceled?

Broadway Shows I've Seen: Hairspray, Chicago, Little Shop of Horrors (2003), The Wedding Singer, Spamalot, Riverdance, Rent, Beauty and the Beast, Spring Awakening, Wicked, Legally Blonde, Phantom of the Opera, Sweet Charity (revival), Drowsy Chaperone, The Lion King, Dreamgirls(2010 Tour).

jake6970
#10re: Roseanne Barr Headed to XANADU?
Posted: 9/10/08 at 12:33am

Someone on ATC said jennifer coolidge fell through...how amazing would that have been! that certainly would have gotten me to see it again.

NGD2225 Profile Photo
NGD2225
#11re: Roseanne Barr Headed to XANADU?
Posted: 9/10/08 at 12:36am

Have they tried to get Kathy Najimy? Any way, I wish Rosanne could sing because I love her, but then again it didn't stop Whoopi.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#12re: Roseanne Barr Headed to XANADU?
Posted: 9/10/08 at 12:37am

Names, people, names.

Kathy who? Bonnie who?

Are they going to sell tickets?

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#13re: Roseanne Barr Headed to XANADU?
Posted: 9/10/08 at 12:38am

Are we really bashing one of the most revolutionary comics in the last 50 years?

True, not much of a voice, but does the role really need it. She could do some funny things with her bad voice (if I remember correctly, she did a children's video recently and her singing wasn't terrible) and would nail all the jokes.

And she's a name with a decent fan base.

Wanna Be A Foster
#14re: Roseanne Barr Headed to XANADU?
Posted: 9/10/08 at 12:40am

Roseanne has a fan base?!

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#15re: Roseanne Barr Headed to XANADU?
Posted: 9/10/08 at 12:46am

Yes, she does.

Her DVD's were huge sellers and her TV show is in reruns constantly.

MrSweetNAwful Profile Photo
MrSweetNAwful
#16re: Roseanne Barr Headed to XANADU?
Posted: 9/10/08 at 12:50am

Tracy Ullman?

You're reminding me of people you hear at the movies asking questions every ten seconds, "Who is that? Why is that guy walking down the street? Who's that lady coming up to him? Uh-oh, why did that car go by? Why is it so dark in this theater?" - FindingNamo on strummergirl

"If artists were machines, then I'm just a different kind of machine...I'd probably be a toaster. Actually, I'd be a toaster oven because they're more versatile. And I like making grilled cheese" -Regina Spektor

"That's, like, twelve shows! ...Or seven." -Crazy SA Fangirl

"They say that just being relaxed is the most important thing [in acting]. I take that to another level, I think kinda like yawning and...like being partially asleep onstage is also good, but whatever." - Sherie Rene Scott

Wanna Be A Foster
#17re: Roseanne Barr Headed to XANADU?
Posted: 9/10/08 at 12:52am

Are these folks going to be willing to get up off their rear ends to dish out $55 a ticket to see her in a play, not to mention the airfare from Hoohaville and overnight stay at the Super 8 in Staten Island?

-Kad

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#18re: Roseanne Barr Headed to XANADU?
Posted: 9/10/08 at 12:55am

It doesn't matter what I say at this point. But, yes, I think she'd bring in a fair amount of traffic.

It's not like she has to fill The Gershwin or The Hilton!

jeniferrenepatricia Profile Photo
jeniferrenepatricia
#19re: Roseanne Barr Headed to XANADU?
Posted: 9/10/08 at 1:09am

I love the Lily Tomlin idea, trekkie2.

Acting should be bigger than life. Scripts should be bigger than life. It should all be bigger than life.- Bette Davis

RyToast1
#20re: Roseanne Barr Headed to XANADU?
Posted: 9/10/08 at 1:11am

I've heard Fran Drescher.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#21re: Roseanne Barr Headed to XANADU?
Posted: 9/10/08 at 1:13am

Kathy Nijimy is one of the funniest women around but I don't know how many people heard of her.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#22re: Roseanne Barr Headed to XANADU?
Posted: 9/10/08 at 1:13am

Lily Tomlin is a brilliant comedienne, haven't seen XANADU but judging from the cast recording, she'd be wonderful.
Now, is Jackie Hoffman leaving on her own terms or are they not renewing her contract in order to get some stunt casting done? I think it'd be somewhat unfair if it is the latter.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#23re: Roseanne Barr Headed to XANADU?
Posted: 9/10/08 at 1:28am

If I recall correctly she was pretty decent as the Wicked Witch in Wizard of Oz at Madison Square Garden...what...11 years ago? Though she didn't have a song and at the end when the whole cast sang "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" I'm pretty sure she was just moving her lips.

Tracy Ullman is a great suggestion. She was great in Once Upon a Mattress with Matthew Morrison and Carol Burnett.

And yes...Bonnie Hunt had a sitcom that didn't last long and, if I recall correctly, she was a talk show host. I only remember seeing one episode.

As for Kathy Najimy - I think more people know her than we realize. Hocus Pocus, Sister Act, WALL-E, the upcoming Tinkerbell, and she's the principal on "The Suite Life of Zack and Cody" which is a very popular show among the tween set. A demographic the theatre seems to be reaching out for more and more. She's one of those actresses who seems to always be "around". People may not know her name but they know her. And I seem to remember her singing in "Cinderelmo" when she played the Stepmother.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

tourboi
#24re: Roseanne Barr Headed to XANADU?
Posted: 9/10/08 at 1:51am

Both Mary and Jackie are signed through January.

Videos