pixeltracker

rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical' (added: 11/08/08 performance -Kiril-)- Page 3

rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical' (added: 11/08/08 performance -Kiril-)

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#50re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/4/08 at 3:11pm

It's odd that they're making cuts. Yes, the show runs three hours long but it felt WAY shorter than GREASE and THIRTEEN which ran at about two hours and twenty minutes and ninety five minutes respectively. And that is saying a lot.

I don't think the show needs to have major cuts...I think a lot of the problem is in the underwriting not overwriting. And as I said, the problems are minimal. This show is close to flawless...I hope they don't cut too much.

I'll be back on November 8th and probably one more time before that so I will surely report back on both experiences.

bwayboy976
#51re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/4/08 at 3:14pm

I'm dying to see this!!! thanks for the fantastic reports

Mamie Profile Photo
Mamie
#52re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/4/08 at 3:56pm

I seem to remember from the old (original) Les Miz days that any time the show runs past 11:00, they have to pay EVERYONE a minimum amount (maybe a full hour) of overtime. Those were union rules. They edited LM down and there was lots of controversy since it was so popular at its full length. I'm guessing that BE is already a very expensive show and there's no way they can afford overtime for all those people.

www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#53re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/4/08 at 4:07pm

As far as the differences in the choreography...it was said that it would be indeed different for each of the boys to play to their individual strengths.

I haven't gotten tix to see this.....yet. Just waiting to make plans.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

WishingOnlyWounds2
#54re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/4/08 at 4:22pm

I just got tickets to see this on December 26!
Front Mezzanine, Row A, Centre!
I have not been this excited about a show in a long time!

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

WiCkEDrOcKS
#55re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/4/08 at 6:12pm

Wow; great seat. The best place to sit for this show is in the mezzanine. I bought second to last row mezzanine tickets for last night for $42 and I could see everything. It was perfect.

JbaraFan1
#56re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/4/08 at 6:33pm

Westernsky wrote: Greg's Dad is really something fantastic, though I do agree that of all the characters his does suffer some through the writing - but I followed his transformation and it was astounding. I know they're making cuts to the show next week, and I'm really hoping they don't cut his solo. It was beautiful and moving.

I think the chances of his solo being cut are very slim.

WiCkEDrOcKS
#57re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/4/08 at 6:54pm

I hope so. It's the only moment in the show where you see him feeling some kind of change and that's basically just because of Jbara's delivery of the song. It's oddly moving and touching.

bwayboy976
#58re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/4/08 at 9:03pm

My friend saw it this afternoon and liked it. Didn't love it. but liked it.

she said the same thing you said, rocks, about the audience being very iffy about it on the way out.

Galinda4
#59re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/5/08 at 5:48pm

just a quick question on the changes between the london and ny show.. i'm intrigued on if kevin keegan gets a mention! in london it is in the scene after "deep into the ground" between billy and michael where he says he got for christmas a signed photo of "kevin f**king keegan"??
Updated On: 10/5/08 at 05:48 PM

WiCkEDrOcKS
#60re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/5/08 at 6:01pm

Nope. They cut it...or at least I didn't notice. But I'm 90% sure they cut it.

Galinda4
#61re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 10/5/08 at 6:08pm

thanks! was just one of those things i was intrigued about!

WiCkEDrOcKS
#62re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 11/9/08 at 12:32am

I went back to see the show this evening and was hoping that I'd see Trent but Kiril was on and was better than the first time I saw him. We all know how I feel about the show as a whole so basically I'll comment on the changes I noticed...

-Many references in the first act have been changed and "Americanized" so that American audiences get the jokes or references better. Doesn't really take away too much from the 'Geordie' feel of the piece.

-It felt and seemed to me like they extended the projection at the top of the show.

-Most of the changes are in the second act:

-MERRY CHRISTMAS, MAGGIE THATCHER is totally different. The entire piece is performed by the children and they've added things like two little boys who come out in beds and when they turn around, their backs read 'RIP' and 'MAGGIE'. It works...makes the number a little more poignant in a way. Still hilarious, but oddly touching to see these little kids perform the song. I liked the change.

-The scene at the Royal Ballet school is very different as well. The whole interaction between Billy and the Royal Ballet School woman immediately before he walks in to audition is cut. Instead that interaction occurs in front of the mirrored wall...he gives her the money jar in front of Dad now and finds out that there is no dance at that moment too...next, Dad interacts with the British father which is immediately followed by his interaction with the male ballet dancer. I think I preferred it the old way more...but it still works. Then the mirrored wall rises and we see Billy finishing his audition and the rest is the same.

-"Deep Into the Ground" ends with Dad having an emotional breakdown now. He starts crying hysterically and Billy finishes the song for him.

-Also, during "Once We Were Kings," (unless I just didn't realize this before) during the first few minutes of the number, the ensemble is standing on either side of the stage while Billy and Dad fold his clothes and pack them away...I didn't remember this from the first time I saw it so I may have just not noticed it from the first two times or it may be new. I'm not entirely sure.

Two little changes included that Dad wears the bikini apron in the first scene in the house in Act One too...it takes away the comical moment of seeing him wearing it at the end of the second act and it feels kinda awkward. Also, Kiril did the flip off the piano but not the same as David. He leapt off and flipped in the air. Really cool.

Overall the changes were nothing TOO drastic and didn't change my opinion of the piece. It's still fantastic, wonderful, breathtaking, tear-jerking --I cried like a baby. Again.-- and just brilliant.

I heard VERY mixed things as I left but the audience was very enthusiastic throughout...the applause after the Swan Lake number, ELECTRICITY, and SOLIDARITY was loud and prolonged. But a lot of people seemed iffy on it as I left...Also, a note that Carole Shelley was INCREDIBLE this time around. Her part is underwritten but she was hysterical and very touching.
Updated On: 11/9/08 at 12:32 AM

bwayboy976
#63re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 11/9/08 at 1:14am

thanks so much for the details on what was changed!

i hope to catch this next week...

BETMNY Profile Photo
BETMNY
#64re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 11/9/08 at 8:42am

WiCkEDrOcKS:

How are you such a liar? Why are you mis-informating? Who's tripping you?

Yesterday's evening has been one the worst shows during the preview as far as Kiril is concerned. Kiril, who was extremely flat, lacked all types of emotions, and looked as if he was on pain or something, did not receive any standing ovation. The audience, including me, was very disappointed yesterday night.

Scripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
#65re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 11/9/08 at 9:02am

rOcKS: I've seen the photo (below) of (George as) Maggie Thatcher wearing a tank strapped over his/her shoulders. She doesn't get that in the West End production - do they do anything with it or does he/she just wear it unexplained?

re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'

The real thing...

re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'

(for comparison purposes!)

Updated On: 11/9/08 at 09:02 AM

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#66re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 11/9/08 at 9:16am

If I remember correctly, she shoots some tennis balls to the audience with it.
Interesting to read about Kiril and David, as I saw Trent Kowalik about a month ago. He gave one of the best performances I have seen, simply breath-taking.
"Solidarity" is one of the most amazingly staged numbers out there, just fantastic.
And I disagree that Haydn Gwynne doesn't have the best singing voice, I actually think her singing is one of the strongest in the show. There is absolutely nothing about her performance that I didn't like, and regardless of what category she is placed in for Tony purposes, she will be strong competition.
I liked Greg Jbara but I absolutely hated the song he is given at the top of Act II, I thought it stopped the show cold--and not in a good way. Similarly, I don't get why Carole Shelley's character gets a song. It's a fun song, and she sells it, but I don't get why it needs to be in the show since her character is really not that relevant to the storyline (I agree it's quite underwritten, as well as the role of the father).
Overall, I think it's a brilliant piece with some not-so-brilliant moments (I find that Act II drags a lot, IMO), but I still think it's the best original musical playing on Broadway at the moment. And Trent Kowalik gives a Tony-worthy performance, he is just mesmerizing.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

WiCkEDrOcKS
#67re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 11/9/08 at 10:04am

What the hell, BETMNY? What did I lie about? I thought the show was great. It's an opinion. You're gonna have to calm down...Jeez.

And no, George comes out with it during MERRY CHRISTMAS... and shoots a few foam balls into the audience. It gets a laugh. In fact, the whole song seemed a lot funnier this time around for some reason.

WiCkEDrOcKS
#68re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 11/9/08 at 10:09am

And yes, Kiril did recieve a standing ovation.

When he ran on the stage before the finale, the audience roared and stood up if they weren't up already. And he got a standing ovation when he came out at the end after the finale and the rest of the cast bowed with him afterwards...

What show were you at? He got two standing ovations.

BETMNY Profile Photo
BETMNY
#69re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 11/9/08 at 1:53pm

I was at the same show you were, and again, you are a liar because there was no standing ovation on that Kiril's show. Maybe it was just in your dreams.............

Mamie Profile Photo
Mamie
#70re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 11/9/08 at 4:03pm

BETMNY - I don't know who you are but you come across as extremely immature in your writing. Calling someone a 'liar' because their opinion of something doesn't agree with yours sounds like something someone in grade school would do. (Most high schoolers have outgrown that nonsense.)

For Billy Elliot NOT to get a standing O would be extremely unusual. It's a rare day that the most mediocre performance on Broadway doesn't earn a standing O from at a least a few people in the audience and this show is FAR from being mediocre.

You're obviously quite young (at least mentally) and you have a crush on David. That's fine. Praise him to the heights if you like. Just don't go cutting down the beautiful performances turned in by Kiril and Trent. Saying that the board is filled with the families of Trent and Kiril and that is the only reason they are receiving praise only adds to the proof of your immaturity. I've seen Kiril and his performance was magnificent. I assure you - I am no relation of his or anybody else in the cast.

Grow up.

www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03

WiCkEDrOcKS
#71re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 11/9/08 at 4:07pm

Glad I'm not the only one who had those thoughts, Mamie...I'm a liar for thinking the show was good, apparently. And for standing up with the entire mezzanine twice at the end of the show. But I guess I hallucinated the rest of the theater standing...

Anyway, if anyone has any questions about any of the changes, I'm more than willing to answer!

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#72re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 11/9/08 at 4:11pm

Who is this BETMNY character?
I'm with Mamie and WickedRocks on this one.
BILLY ELLIOT is one of those shows in which I feel so taken over by the piece that every other number deserves a standing o'. Particularly, "Solidarity," "Shine," "Born to Boogie-Boogie," and "Electricity" of course. The night I saw the show, Trent got his well-deserved standing ovation before "Electricity" was even over.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

kdek004
#73re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 11/9/08 at 9:23pm

There were definitely two standing O's last night and I agree with wickedrocks, it was wonderful!

BETMNY Profile Photo
BETMNY
#74re: rOcKS @ 'Billy Elliot: The Musical'
Posted: 11/9/08 at 10:47pm

You see what I mean? kdek004, ray-andallthatjazz86, WiCkEDrOcKS, and Mamie – you all agree!!! You are all related to either Kiril or Trent.

I didn’t speak about any of Trent’s show. I saw one, and yes, he got standing O. But definitely, Kiril did not get standing O this last Saturday night. I was there. It’s a lie.

I don’t have a crash on David Alvarez – the cast, the production team, Broadway, we all have a crash on David. Like it or not, this boy is going to stay for long time. Let’s talk in 5 years from now and let’s see where each of them will be……….

If you, members of Kiril’s and Trent’s family, don’t praise David’s performances, that’s your problem, not David’s. He has the praise of those who he needs to have it from – the director, the producers, the cast, and obviously a real audience!!!!!!!!!

Videos