pixeltracker

How exactly does Student Rush work?

How exactly does Student Rush work?

RachelO Profile Photo
RachelO
#1How exactly does Student Rush work?
Posted: 11/18/08 at 11:26pm

I know I sound naive, but I finally got my student ID today, and I was hoping someone could tell me about the process of getting Student Rush tickets in New York. I'll be there over winter break, and I want to make sure I know what I'm doing.

Thanks, guys! How exactly does Student Rush work?

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#2re: How exactly does Student Rush work?
Posted: 11/18/08 at 11:29pm

It's usually when the box office opens. They sell either one or two tickets per ID and it is around 25-30 dollars. I don't know for sure if it is cash only because I have done student rushes at shows where it was listed as cash only and have been able to pay with debit or credit cards.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

sgv123
RachelO Profile Photo
RachelO
#3re: How exactly does Student Rush work?
Posted: 11/18/08 at 11:37pm

Thank you! re: How exactly does Student Rush work?

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#4re: How exactly does Student Rush work?
Posted: 11/18/08 at 11:39pm

Also, with some shows, people start lining up for rush tickets a couple of hours before the box office opens. Sometimes you can walk up and buy the tickets a couple of hours after it opens, but when I saw Legally Blonde, I got there at 8 am and there was a line of about 8 people already. It depends on the popularity of the show.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

SweeneyPhanatic
#5re: How exactly does Student Rush work?
Posted: 11/19/08 at 1:12am

Any idea of how big the line usually is for GYPSY? I'd gladly get to the BO by 6 if I had to for this show.

Then again, I'd have to convince my friends to do it, too...that might be the hard part...

-- SDG
Updated On: 11/19/08 at 01:12 AM

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#6re: How exactly does Student Rush work?
Posted: 11/19/08 at 1:14am

Gypsy isn't that bad at all. I have heard stories of people getting there an hour even a half hour prior to showtime and still being able to get a ticket.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

SweeneyPhanatic
#7re: How exactly does Student Rush work?
Posted: 11/19/08 at 1:16am

Sweet. [insert huge grin here] I'll still probably be there by 8:30 (in the morning); I'm that crazy. But for me, just seeing this cast is enough, so even a balcony seat would thrill me.

But who would pass up the chance for the front row?

-- SDG

withoutyou08
#8re: How exactly does Student Rush work?
Posted: 11/19/08 at 1:17am

does student id's work only for college students or does it work for high school students too because my brothers in high school and he likes coming to shows but as for me they're a bit expensive sometimes

what if susan blackwell hung out with boq, trekkie monster, the SOL soloist#2, and the piragua guy on a daily basis?

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#9re: How exactly does Student Rush work?
Posted: 11/19/08 at 1:32am

I believe high school IDs were fine. I remember Legally Blonde/Palace Theater was more strict, unless I am mistaken, and wanted college IDs only.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#10re: How exactly does Student Rush work?
Posted: 11/19/08 at 1:55am

There was some drama going on on the Legally Blonde student rush line which the box office thought would go away if they restricted it to college students only. Ironically enough the people that were causing the drama were in college to begin with.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#11re: How exactly does Student Rush work?
Posted: 11/19/08 at 6:08am

Gypsy is almost always available. I've gotten there maybe 15 minutes before curtain and gotten a seat before. It may get a little tighter closer to the end of the run, but I don't see it being so sold out you can't get anything. Except maybe the closing performance/weekend assuming they even offer it.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

kdek004
#12re: How exactly does Student Rush work?
Posted: 11/19/08 at 7:04am

I posted this in another thread but maybe someone can give me an answer here--roundabout theaters student rush is 1/2 hour before showtime, right?

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#13re: How exactly does Student Rush work?
Posted: 11/19/08 at 7:16am

yes, Roundabout student rush is 1/2 price tickets a half hour before curtain (one per ID). they also have a regular rush, which is $21.50 (for A Man for All Seasons) or $26.50 (for Pal Joey) when the box office opens, and that's 2 per person.

and for Gypsy, you'll definitely be able to get a ticket no matter what time you get to the box office, but I'd get there earlier if you really wanted to aim for a front row seat.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad
Updated On: 11/19/08 at 07:16 AM

cglaid Profile Photo
cglaid
#14re: How exactly does Student Rush work?
Posted: 11/19/08 at 8:37am

When Gypsy runs out of front row seats, they just sell others in the orchestra usually. I got there 10 minutes before curtain and got a great seat in row H. All I missed was June's head when she was on the bed. Otherwise, Gypsy is very accommodating and the people at the box office are some of the nicer ones.

Videos