pixeltracker

In Spamalot in act 2 how do they cut off the legs and arms of the black knight with his head still there is this a optical illusion

In Spamalot in act 2 how do they cut off the legs and arms of the black knight with his head still there is this a optical illusion

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#2re: In Spamalot in act 2 how do they cut off the legs and arms of the black knight with his head still there is this a optical illusion
Posted: 12/22/08 at 10:03pm

re: In Spamalot in act 2 how do they cut off the legs and arms of the black knight with his head still there is this a optical illusion

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#2re: In Spamalot in act 2 how do they cut off the legs and arms of the black knight with his head still there is this a optical illusion
Posted: 12/22/08 at 10:04pm

SPOILER

His fake arms and legs are attached to a door while the actor pokes his head through a hole in the door. So when the arms and legs are up off he appears to simply be hanging on the door. That's how it looked to me at least.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".
Updated On: 12/22/08 at 10:04 PM

#3re: In Spamalot in act 2 how do they cut off the legs and arms of the black
Posted: 12/22/08 at 10:04pm

This is NOT an optical illusion- the black knight dies at each show and the part is recast before the next performance.

shh282 Profile Photo
shh282
#4re: In Spamalot in act 2 how do they cut off the legs and arms of the black
Posted: 12/22/08 at 10:05pm

Wait - so the black knight doesn't pull a jesus on a daily basis?

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#5re: In Spamalot in act 2 how do they cut off the legs and arms of the black
Posted: 12/22/08 at 10:06pm

Don't be ridiculous, he doesn't die.

They just have to find actors who have no arms and legs and replace his artificial limbs every show. It is a wonderful opportunity for talented disabled actors.

(Note: One person on this thread is actually telling the truth, and it's not me.)

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy
Updated On: 12/22/08 at 10:06 PM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#6re: In Spamalot in act 2 how do they cut off the legs and arms of the black
Posted: 12/22/08 at 10:07pm

It's such a good service. Like what happened in Side Show. Pity that didn't run longer.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Schmerg_The_Impaler
#7re: In Spamalot in act 2 how do they cut off the legs and arms of the black
Posted: 12/22/08 at 10:12pm

I heard that the reason why "A Tale Of Two Cities" didn't run longer was because it was so expensive to find a replacement Carton every night. You can only guillotine so many baritones before the talent pool begins to shrink noticeably.

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

tylerkurtz
#8re: In Spamalot in act 2 how do they cut off the legs and arms of the black
Posted: 12/22/08 at 10:22pm

how does he get behind the door without the audience seeing

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#9re: In Spamalot in act 2 how do they cut off the legs and arms of the black
Posted: 12/22/08 at 10:24pm

Somebody points and shouts "look" while pointing in the other direction.

Gets me every time.

OY.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

lull89 Profile Photo
lull89
#10re: In Spamalot in act 2 how do they cut off the legs and arms of the black
Posted: 12/22/08 at 10:28pm

It's kind of blatant. They lower the curtain and hold a 10 second intermission so he has time to do everything just right.

. . . or they misdirect the audience with the "arms for the poor" bit. I forget which.

Schmerg_The_Impaler
#11re: In Spamalot in act 2 how do they cut off the legs and arms of the black
Posted: 12/22/08 at 10:34pm

Yeah, that's basically it. I'm sorry, Tyler, but you can't expect entirely serious responses on a Spamalot thread!

Mythus
#12re: In Spamalot in act 2 how do they cut off the legs and arms of the black
Posted: 12/22/08 at 10:37pm

I could explain it in explicit detail but that would ruin the hilarity.

LindyLee
#13re: In Spamalot in act 2 how do they cut off the legs and arms of the black
Posted: 12/22/08 at 10:41pm

"This is NOT an optical illusion- the black knight dies at each show and the part is recast before the next performance."

LOL!

bundy5000 Profile Photo
bundy5000
#14re: In Spamalot in act 2 how do they cut off the legs and arms of the black
Posted: 12/22/08 at 10:47pm

Monty Python humor makes it look cheesy and cheap, they are not aiming for Theatrical Special Effects.

Herbie: "Honey, Don't you know there's a depression?"
Rose: "Of Course I know, I Watch Fox News"
-(modified)Gypsy
Broadway Schedule
December 5th- Hamilton, On Your Feet
December 19th- Noises Off, Edith Piaf Concert at Town Hall

Videos