pixeltracker

She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!- Page 4

She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!

heo1128
#75re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 5:51am

"I NEED to get the audio!! Someone PLEASE!!!"

Timesquare3- does an audio exist that you know of??

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#76re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 6:00am

lj889: I'm not saying it isn't so, but can you give any examples of Ethel Merman being greatly disliked? By whom? Why? Caused by what on Merman's part?

In GYPSY, she is known to have disliked Sandra Church and I guess the feeling was mutual. However, she got along very well with Jack Klugman. And during rehearsals, Stephen Sondheim said that she was very cooperative. In the recent biography by Brian Kellow, there was no mention of such dislike except toward the end of her life when she was ill and got to be very difficult. Once a diva, always a diva.

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#77re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 6:17am

Unprofessional of Patti? NOT AT ALL!! (And in a way, sort of in character, considering the legends surrounding the real Madame Rose.)

I find the flashes very distracting and I'm in the audience. On stage it could really throw a performer. Not only that is shows that the people taking the pictures are not "into" the piece but rather souvenir hunters.

I know it won’t happen, but I wish there were an outright BAN on taking cell phones, cameras and recorders into theatre auditoriums.

To be fair, it is rare for a performer to stop a performance over an audience incident. In my 30+ years of theatre going I can recall only twice when a show had to be stopped: URINETOWN on Broadway due to audio problems, and a performance at Shaw Festival when an audience member had a medical problem and had to be taken out.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

Updated On: 1/11/09 at 06:17 AM

nexttoelectric Profile Photo
nexttoelectric
#78re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 6:42am

It is the ushers' job to deal with audience behavior. Not Ms. LuPone's.

IF THE USHERS WOULD DO THEIR GOD DAMNED JOBS PATTI WOULDN'T HAVE TO DO IT FOR THEM.

I have NEVER ONCE seen an usher remove someone from a theatre for using a phone, or taking pictures, or being disruptive. Ushers these days are a bunch of useless pussies who refuse to take any action. I APPLAUD PATTI FOR STANDING UP FOR HERSELF AND EVERY SINGLE PERFORMER OUT THERE. WHAT THESE PEOPLE DID IS DANGEROUS AND DISRESPECTFUL TO THE PERFORMERS.

MamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
#79re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 6:50am

The woman is pathetic and totally, totally unprofessional. Thank god there will be no more of theses stories after today!

iluvtheatertrash
#80re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 7:15am

You guys are all ridiculous. Are you aware of that?

She gave the usher three chances to do something. They didn't. Flashes are DANGEROUS. They're distracting and an actor can lose their footing, their process, etc. She had every right to stop if the ushers weren't going to.

I know the woman is a bit dramatic, and sometimes over-reacts, but she wasn't in the wrong here. And frankly, I would've stood up and applauded her for doing what she did had I been there.

Recording of any kind is illegal. The performers and the compers and the creative team lose money because of recordings. It is, I say it again, ILLEGAL.

She was right, guys. Period. And I still love her.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

toanythingtaboo 2 Profile Photo
toanythingtaboo 2
#81re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 7:46am

If...say, Idina Menzel or the like had done the same - would she be getting the same praise for taking the situation into her own hands?

Or, more than likely, is there a double standard for Patti LuPone in which she has 'earned' her right to be unprofessional?

Fair play to her that she said the flash had gone off 3 times, so in effect there were 3 warnings in which nothing was done...but I feel that argument is void because of the amount of times she has done this.

Mamie Profile Photo
Mamie
#82re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 8:09am

Just because the audience member was wrong, doesn't make her reaction right. If I had been there I would have demanded my money back.

I find it interesting that some of the people who defend her actions against the illegal picture-taker are also the ones who are craving the equally illegal audio clip.

www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#83re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 8:18am

I blame the ushers. If it was indeed the third time a flash was used then they were not doing their jobs. And you can bet that Patti had already complained about the first two times to someone.

Having said that I also find it interesting that some of the ones defending her actions want a bootleg audio of the event. But there is a difference between quietly taping a show and blinding a performer with a flash.

Also it seems that a lot of the people condemning her are the same ones who think it's their right to have pictures taken with the stars after a show and are mad if a star goes out another door or just wants to leave the theatre without signing autographs and fauning over their "fans" .. you know, stage door stalkers.

My personal view though is - Brava Patti!

Updated On: 1/11/09 at 08:18 AM

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#84re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 8:29am

So now people are going to the theatre to see an actress scream and yell at the audience and not for the play or hear the score?
I dislike falshes in the theatre as much as the next, but to say they danger the performer is ridiculous, name one time an actor was rushed to the hospital due to camera flash accident???

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#85re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 8:45am

If you can take a photo without distracting the cast, then you're doing something wrong, but at least you're not causing a hazard. Flashes *do* distract the cast, and when you're flailing around on a stage and don't have the best visibility of the edge of the stage to begin with, a blinking blue rectangle obscuring your vision because you happened to be looking in the right place at the wrong time can be killer. :/

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#86re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 8:57am

Let me say first off that I feel bad for the people who paid big bucks to see a full performance last night.

I don't think they are to blame here for being upset for having dished out a lot of money and feeling cheated.

I also don't, however, feel that Ms. LuPone is to blame, either.

I see a lot of Broadway theatre regularly, and this distracting audience behavior is constant.

The house staffs, in general, are incompetent, and they either have not been instructed how to do their jobs properly, or they just don't have the balls to do what they feel, and is, a very difficult task, and that is stopping audience members during a show from using cameras and cell phones that distract the other audience members and the cast.

I blame the house manager and the ushers in this situation. The same goes for the situation where Billy Crystal stopped his show a few years ago after the third cell phone went off.

This isn't just Patti. So don't blame her. She's just an easy target on this board, so when this situation happens with her, all the vultures come immediately out.

House managers and ushers need to be trained and instructed to do their jobs, and stop this behavior immediately, when these situations arise during shows, the FIRST time it happens, so that the actors don't have to do their jobs for them.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#87re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 8:58am

If you can take a photo without distracting the cast, then you're doing something wrong, but at least you're not causing a hazard.

Yes but you shouldn't be taking a picture anyhow. Live theatre is just that a "live" experience. If you want pictures buy the souvenir program. You want a recording? Buy the CD. You want a video, well admittedly that's more of a problem because most shows do not get taped, but that does not give anyone the right to make their own video of a performance.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#88re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 9:00am

Like I said: they're doing something wrong. Wow, you even quoted the bit that shows we agree while trying to argue with me. re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#89re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 9:01am

If you are flailing around on the stage and don't know where the edge is, you are doing something wrong.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#90re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!

Its a LOT easier for the person ON STAGE to spot the camera then it is the usher from behind. They can't just stalk the aisle because then OTHER patrons' views will be blocked.

And I've been the theater plenty of times when ushers have YELLED and TOLD patrons to put away phones, cameras and even LAPTOP computers! (Not kidding, at Boeing,Boening Christmas weekend, a man NEXT to me pulled out his laptop during intermission and fired it up and proceeded to work.

To try to defend the ushers a bit, DURING the show it IS rather difficult for them to do that aspect of their job: FINDING the "perp", communicating to them, REMOVING them and all without bothering the other audience members. Really a no win situation.

The part I find most irritating, is how long it takes folks to actually comply.

Perhaps they need to do more than the "pleasant" announcement at the beginging. You know, like at the movies, they play the vid to be quiet and throw away your garbage. Maybe they should start showing the video of Patti going off as a warning for all!!!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#90re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!

Sounds to me like the ushers weren't doing their job.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Elke Profile Photo
Elke
#92re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 9:11am

I totally understand that flash photography can be dangerous to the people on stage. But I don't think that it was a reason to stop the show. It's not like she fell or something.

Ms. Lupone is an actress, not an usher. It may not be exactly the same, but I don't see any ushers stopping a show because a performer is doing a poor job.

nexttoelectric
#93re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 9:25am

It may not be exactly the same, but I don't see any ushers stopping a show because a performer is doing a poor job.

the stupidity of this statement is astounding.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#94re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 9:30am

I think the ushers should be equipped with Tasers.

But this post and the one on All That Chat were probably both started by the same poster who started the previous thread here: The "Patti Stopped the Show" Troll.

Updated On: 1/12/09 at 09:30 AM

nexttoelectric
#95re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 9:33am

umm PJ, if you had read the thread you would have seen the incident was confirmed by reliable, legitimate posters (specifically jerby).

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#96re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 9:35am

If she felt that flashes going off in her eyes were a distraction and she felt it was hurting her performance or might cause her problems if it happened again then she had every right to stop the performance and throw the offending party out.

Good for her. You don't think if one camera went off and nothing happened that a few other people might have joined in too? Some of the stupid comments in this thread really astound me - but Elke, yours beats them all.

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#97re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 9:40am

I'm part of an online lifestyle community. Our members are utterly divided on the subject of breat-feeding in public. We had SO many "it's natural, it's not sexual, stop freaking out about it!" vs "I don't want to see a complete stranger's breasts in public, especially not with a baby latched on!" arguments, with no happy middle ground met EVER, that eventually all discussions on breast-feeding in public were banned.

Perhaps a similar rule should be invoked here. If people are going to be so shouty and repetitive in the "performers have every right to stop a show if the audience is too distracting!" vs "performers have no right to take the audience out of the moment!" argument EVERY TIME, then it's obviously not a discussion that will ever go anywhere, and therefore isn't going to be very useful on a discussion board.

Ah well. Guess I'll just take the wussy option and not read any of these threads any more. See you in more interesting discussions! ^_^

dg22894
#98re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 9:42am

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA good for her. I hate flashes when on stage and when I come out the door at the end of a show I find them and yell at them and get them to promise they will never do it agian. This happened in a Community theater show

CarolynaGirl Profile Photo
CarolynaGirl
#99re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 10:02am

Paljoey - for your information, I have never posted a thread on this forum before last night but thanks for your "troll" allegation.

Videos