pixeltracker

What was your best/worst stagedoor encounter- Page 5

What was your best/worst stagedoor encounter

Patti_LuPone_Fan Profile Photo
Patti_LuPone_Fan
#100Best, worst, and unique
Posted: 9/5/09 at 8:06pm

I saw Dominic in Chicago last month. He was fantastic!

BwayBoundJoe Profile Photo
BwayBoundJoe
#101Best, worst, and unique
Posted: 9/5/09 at 8:44pm

I've actually have had no bad Stage Foor experiances, but I have had some weird ones. It was the year when Billy Crystal was doing his one man show, we had just gotten out of a show (it was the 2nd time I went to NYC so I don't remember the show) but it was close to the theatre. Anywho, I found an insert on the ground and pushed my way to the front (this was before I learned proper ettiquite) and he signed it. I left, stood around the theatre a bit, and saw a girl crying. She was a deaf girl who had seen the show (about 23 y/o) and was a big Billy fan, so I gave her boyfriend my flyer because she walked away before I could give it to her.

Best would have to be Alice Ripley, who was being rushed by the doorman the night I saw the show, The cast of hair (esp. Will Swenson), Megan Hilty :), SJB, Christian Anderson, Ann Harada, the cast of Avenue Q, Lenny Wolpe, Laura Bell Bundy, Christian Boyle (who I met both in nashville), Spring Awakening casts, Curtis Holbrook, and the rest of the cast of Xanadu.

It's not technically Stage Dooring, But I've written to Faith Prince twice, and Left a gift for her at the Stage Door oof mermaid, and each time she has mailed back a lovely note or signed photo. I think she is such a sweet woman.

Formally Stews_Bitch::: Shows in the 2010 Season for me. 101 Dalmations tour - Jan 24th, Xanadu Tour - Mar 9th and 10th, Wicked - May 14th, Legally Blonde - June 12th:::::::Upcoming - South Pacific, Young Frankinstein (Two Cities) Rock of Ages (Two Cities) Shrek (3 Cities) Les Mis, DreamGirls, Spring Awakening, Color Purple, and 9 to 5!

byebyebaby12 Profile Photo
byebyebaby12
#102Best, worst, and unique
Posted: 9/6/09 at 3:16am

"I saw Dominic in Chicago last month. He was fantastic!"

He really is enjoying the experiance and you can tell. He really appriciates the fans. Just super sweet and looks you in the eyes when he is talking to you. Although, he is one who may encourage creepers....luckily enough the Chicago cast does not many if any at all. (Unless the east coast crazies take a trip to visit)

mastachen2
#103Best, worst, and unique
Posted: 9/6/09 at 7:03pm

My best experience isn't really at the stage door. Kristin Chenoweth was doing a Q&A at my school, and afterwards, I went looking for a bathroom before I went to her book-signing session. As I approach the bathroom, I hear footsteps running behind me, and it was Kristin, another lady, and two security guards. Since it was a unisex bathroom, I let Kristin go first because "she had more Tony Awards than me". When she came out, she took a picture with me and signed a copy of her book, so I didn't have to wait in line.

My worst was probably the Beauty and the Beast stage door. I went to see it because it was just about to close, and I was really disappointed because I thought the entire cast phoned in their performances. Annaliese Van Der Pol trying to trick the kids at the stage door into making people believe she came out didn't really have me feel better about the show.

hmpeterson Profile Photo
hmpeterson
#104Best, worst, and unique
Posted: 9/8/09 at 5:02pm

I have been really lucky. I have always had really good stage door experiences.

My very first one was Curtains and the entire cast came out and signed and took pictures and talked to the crowd...they were all wonderful. Even stars like David Hyde Pierce, Debra Monk, and Karen Ziemba all were engaging and gracious and it was a really great experience!

Best casts: West Side Story, 9 to 5, Xanadu, and Curtains. All were so appreciative of people coming and thanking the people waiting for coming to the show.

Best Individual People: David Hyde Pierce, Kerry Butler, Cheyenne Jackson, Kelli O'Hara, Matthew Morrison, Titus Burgess, Megan Hilty, Allison Janney, Stephanie J Block, Marc Kudish, Craig Bierko, Leigh Ann Larkin. Everyone of these actors would sign, take pictures, engage in conversation and were extremely kind.

Extra Shout Out: Whoopi Goldberg. I took my mom to NY for her 60th. The birthday card I gave her (to surprise her with NY tix including Xanadu) was of Whoopi in her Sister Act habit. Whoopi (who wasn't taking photos but signing) loved the card, talked to my mom for about 3 minutes and then signed it "Happy 60th Patti. Love, Whoopi." She was so nice. There was also a huge crowd that didn't come to see Xanadu and were there with Comedy DVDs and Movies of hers to sign and she very nicely said, "I am going to sign for all the people who came to see Xanadu and supported the show, but when I am through, I will come back and sign other items." And she did. What a class act.

Updated On: 9/8/09 at 05:02 PM

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#105Best, worst, and unique
Posted: 9/9/09 at 12:54am

I've met a lot of really sweet people, but one of the people I was most impressed with was Daniel Radcliffe. I braved the stage door at Equus after the 2nd time I saw it and he was really really ridiculously nice, even with people screaming at him and getting all up in his face. There was a girl next to me who had come to the show for her birthday and she told him and he asked how old she was and then signed her window card and wrote "Happy 17th Birthday!" which I thought was really nice of him. He also talked to me a bit as he went down the line since I told him it was my 2nd time seeing the show and I really loved it.

tl;dr: Daniel Radcliffe is really nice even when surrounded by crazies.

sdsm2006 Profile Photo
sdsm2006
#106Best, worst, and unique
Posted: 11/30/09 at 4:45am

I don't stage door that often but my best one happened at "Minsky's". I'd bought tickets for myself and a friend to see it on my birthday. I'd been fortunate enough to work with Beth Leavel on a show a year before and really wanted to see her perform. We drove up, saw the show, and although the trip back was long and it was late, we stage doored. Beth was exiting, taking pictures, signing, etc... and as she walked past me, I gave her a quick "psst" - She turned around and gave me a huge hug. We had a nice chat about the show we did together as well as "Minsky's". She even checked to see if my friend and I would be alright getting to our car. Honestly, I was just stunned that she remembered me!

"All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players: They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts..." ~Jaques - "As You Like It" Act 2, scene 7

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#107Best, worst, and unique
Posted: 11/30/09 at 8:12am

I only did the stage door one time, but it was totally worth it. I waited for Cherry Jones after Doubt and she couldn't have been sweeter. Took the longest to come out (around a half-hour after the performance ended, which, reading this thread, sounds like nothing) and profusely apologized to everyone for making them wait so long. She then spent around 10-15 on each person at the door. She's a really warm person who truly appreciates her fans. In fact, shout-out to the entire original cast of Doubt; they were all wonderful at the stage door.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body