Wizard of Oz at MSG

BroadwayPhan
#1Wizard of Oz at MSG
Posted: 3/26/09 at 11:54pm

Has anybody seen this national tour of The Wizard of Oz (now playing at MSG)? Is it worth seeing at all? I've never seen the show performed on stage before (only have seen the movie).

musicalbluemirror Profile Photo
musicalbluemirror
#2re: Wizard of Oz at MSG
Posted: 3/27/09 at 12:15am

i saw it one of the last times it was here which was a while back and i remember enjoying it
so i plan on going again :)

bwayguy22089
#2re: Wizard of Oz at MSG
Posted: 3/27/09 at 12:22am

It's not the same production. Actually, from the pictures, it looks VERY different. I haven't seen it though. The tour from the late 90's was great. A little too much was cut from it, but it was still good.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#3re: Wizard of Oz at MSG
Posted: 3/27/09 at 12:30am

Please be advised that the production playing at Madison Square Garden is not actually a return engagement of the Madison Square Garden version that toured in the 90s with Mickey Rooney, Eartha Kitt and later JoAnne Worley. This is a completely different production that happens to be playing at Madison Square Garden -- that's all. The sets, costumes, script, choreography and direction are all completely different. You'll probably be disappointed if you go in expecting it to be the same.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#4re: Wizard of Oz at MSG
Posted: 3/27/09 at 1:36am

One of my FB friends said it was AWFUL.

He said not to take your children.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#5re: Wizard of Oz at MSG
Posted: 3/27/09 at 7:07am

Don't waste your time or money.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

blondebaby589 Profile Photo
blondebaby589
#6re: Wizard of Oz at MSG
Posted: 3/27/09 at 8:09am

I got rush tickets for $20 and STILL thought it was a waste of my money.

www.tinydancer5.tumblr.com

midwestsarah
#7re: Wizard of Oz at MSG
Posted: 3/27/09 at 8:15am

If this is the NETWORKS production, definitely skip this. The acting is awful and the singing is not noteworthy either. The only cool parts were the projections of the tornado and you could watch a movie to see something like that, and the part when they lift the spell in the (forget which type of red flower) field.

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#8re: Wizard of Oz at MSG
Posted: 3/27/09 at 1:41pm

Yeah I'm surprised that MSG even took a non-eq tour at all.

Other than that, did you enjoy the play Mrs Lincoln?

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#9re: Wizard of Oz at MSG
Posted: 3/27/09 at 1:56pm

"and the part when they lift the spell in the (forget which type of red flower) field."

Uhm, poppies, maybe?

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

wicked4l
#10re: Wizard of Oz at MSG
Posted: 3/27/09 at 3:06pm

i saw it last week here in Buffalo, it was by far the WORST national tour i have ever seen in my life. the sets looked horrible, the choreography was mediocre at best and would have looked better if the cast knew what they were doing. The tinman scarecrwow, and lion were alright. but the lighting was absolutely disgusting. do not spend your money on this tour. you will be disappointed.

Videos