Planning a NY trip

BDavis0092
#1Planning a NY trip
Posted: 5/19/09 at 10:42pm

I'm planning a NY trip in July and I've been kind of out of the Broadway world for a little bit. I've been reading on here a little bit lately though and wanted to know if this show line up sounds like a good one (keep in mind I can only make it up to NY about once a year at the MOST)

Billy Elliot
Hair
August: Osage County
Next to Normal
Shrek

Also, I was planning on buying tickets for August at TKTS since it doesn't seem to be selling out. Are there any other shows I can bank on getting at the booths? Keep in mind this will be POST-Tonys. Also, are there any other shows I should keep in mind? THANKS

www.youtube.com/BwayNY225

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#2re: Planning a NY trip
Posted: 5/19/09 at 10:45pm

What have you already seen that's playing on Broadway?

BILLY ELLIOT
HAIR
AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY
NEXT TO NORMAL

are all excellent choices and I'd keep that exact order.

SHREK...skip it.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

sgv123
#2re: Planning a NY trip
Posted: 5/19/09 at 10:50pm

See all on your list except for Shrek.

WishingOnlyWounds2
#3re: Planning a NY trip
Posted: 5/19/09 at 10:57pm

Well, I personally liked Shrek... thought it was fun and cute.
And it's been on TKTS.

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#4re: Planning a NY trip
Posted: 5/19/09 at 11:00pm

NEXT TO NORMAL is also on TKTS. We'll see what it does post-Tonys.

What about off-Broadway? Checking anything out there?

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#5re: Planning a NY trip
Posted: 5/19/09 at 11:23pm

9 to 5 and West Side Story.

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

BDavis0092
#6re: Planning a NY trip
Posted: 5/20/09 at 1:05am

The only shows currently on broadway that I've seen are In The Heights and Avenue Q. I wanted to make an appearance to see Sutton Foster since I've seen her last two shows and am a pretty big fan. I wouldn't mind seeing West Side Story but will probably take a pass on 9 to 5.

newyorkrbust
#7re: Planning a NY trip
Posted: 5/20/09 at 1:08pm

I personally like Shrek. Whether I'd see that instead of other shows...I don't know. Next to Normal is amazing!! And Lin Manuel-Miranda (Wrote/starred in In the heights) translated some of West Side Story to Spanish. I haven't seen it, but I've heard mixed reveiws.

It really said US Navy, but hey, I worked with what they gave me ok.

boydowncenter
#8re: Planning a NY trip
Posted: 5/20/09 at 1:44pm

def In The Heights. I would skip shrek, too.

manic_magic_n2n2 Profile Photo
manic_magic_n2n2
#9re: Planning a NY trip
Posted: 5/20/09 at 2:03pm

Overall I think your list is great! Have you considered In The Heights, though?

I'm so glad that August and Next to Normal are on your list-- they should be at the top! And I haven't seen Hair yet, but according to many, many friends, it is a MUST see. Also-- even though initially Shrek got a bad reputation, now most people are saying that it's really a light, fun, cute show. I wouldn't cross it off your list too fast. On the other hand, Billy sort of went in the other direction-- people all used to rave about it, but my friends who have seen it recently have been somewhat less enthused. I'd still say see it, though-- it's definitely up to your own judgement. They must be doing something right with all of the recognition the show gets.

Have a fun trip!

Updated On: 5/20/09 at 02:03 PM

jennamajig Profile Photo
jennamajig
#10re: Planning a NY trip
Posted: 5/20/09 at 2:06pm

I actually thought Shrek was a lot of fun. The best show ever, no. But an entertaining evening...sure. And if you are a Sutton fan you'll probably enjoy her performance. Current discount code expires June 6, and it will depend on summer numbers if they release another one. But it is a big theater and they also have a lottery you can try.

Buy Billy Elliot and Hair tickets in advance, of course, and August tickets can probably be purchased at TKTS (also broadwaybox.com has a current 40% discount code that runs through August 23). Next to Normal...depends on how it does post-Tonys.

WishingOnlyWounds2
#11re: Planning a NY trip
Posted: 5/20/09 at 3:19pm

Also, I recommend '9 to 5'

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

pushdabutton Profile Photo
pushdabutton
#12re: Planning a NY trip
Posted: 5/20/09 at 6:48pm

I recommend In The Heights and August: Osage County. Have a great trip and let us know what you decide.

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#13re: Planning a NY trip
Posted: 5/20/09 at 7:01pm

August will not be there in August!

Jersey Girl2 Profile Photo
Jersey Girl2
#14re: Planning a NY trip
Posted: 5/20/09 at 7:39pm

Replace Shrek with Rock Of Ages.

"Forget regret or life is yours to miss."

kristinchenofan570 Profile Photo
kristinchenofan570
#15re: Planning a NY trip
Posted: 5/20/09 at 8:40pm

I personally would skip Shreak and go see either 9 to 5, In the Heights, or Guys and Dolls. You may want to think about seeing Guys and Dolls just because I doubt it will last too long once Lauren leaves and shes only on for about six months so if you have any interest in seeing that, you might want to before its gone!

Remember when drama was only on the stage?

BDavis0092
#16re: Planning a NY trip
Posted: 5/20/09 at 9:07pm

I've already seen In The Heights with Lin-Manuel. Also, I've heard not such good things about Guys and Dolls. How is Rock of Ages doing?

CSonBroadway Profile Photo
CSonBroadway
#17re: Planning a NY trip
Posted: 5/20/09 at 9:22pm

Rock of Ages will probably be doing well in the summer because most shows do very well.

I'm a professional. Whenever something goes wrong on stage, I know how to handle it so no one ever remembers. I flash my %#$&. "Jayne just sat there while Gina flailed around the stage like an idiot."

Jersey Girl2 Profile Photo
Jersey Girl2
#18re: Planning a NY trip
Posted: 5/20/09 at 10:07pm

>>How is Rock of Ages doing?

Anytime I have been there it has been packed. Weekends and weekdays.

"Forget regret or life is yours to miss."

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#19re: Planning a NY trip
Posted: 5/26/09 at 12:54am

Take one Trip off Broadway to the Toxic Avenger!

Lots of fun. Better than most on your list.

Videos