pixeltracker

'reasons' small spoiler/blooper with Steven Webber Talk Back

'reasons' small spoiler/blooper with Steven Webber Talk Back

heo1128
#1'reasons' small spoiler/blooper with Steven Webber Talk Back
Posted: 5/25/09 at 11:38pm

Saw "reasons to be pretty" tonight. Loved the show! The orchestra was surprisingly easily 90% full, though that was probably due to Memorial Day. Rondi Reed was in attendance. As for the blooper, after Stephanie slaps Greg and Greg says something like "hopefully a doctor will walk by and be able to wire my jaw shut", Tom Sadoski and Marin Ireland started cracking up. I think it was becasue Marin put her hands on her hips and stomped her feet in a funny manner. Marin started, then Tom, then they both needed a few beats to regain composure. It was kind of really adorable.

Some interesting reactions from the audience...during the Greg/Kent fight scene, they audience was laughing. I think it might have been nervous laughter, but it was kind of distracting. When throwing the baseball glove, has Tom ever missed and hit an audience member? Had he missed tonight, it would have nailed me in the head.

I was thrilled to hear from a flyer distributer near TKTS, after I had already bought my rush ticket, that there would be a talk back after the show tonight. Though Tom was absent, it was interesting to hear the actors' take on the play, the characters, and the message. I was surprised that there was no announcement before or after the show, or a no sign posted that there would be a talk back. Is there any way to know in advance? Seems like 'reasons' does them quite frequently.

Hopefully I'll be able to see the show again!

shkspr
#2re: 'reasons' small spoiler/blooper with Steven Webber Talk Back
Posted: 5/26/09 at 12:11am

heo1128, I think the laughing after the slap is part of the show actually. They laughed after when I saw it too. You never know though.

Steven Weber did a talkback? I like him on Brothers and Sisters. I went to the one with Paul Rudd. Does anyone know if there are others scheduled, and if you have to actually see the show again to go to the talkback? I would totally see it again if I had the money, but alas...

heo1128
#2re: 'reasons' small spoiler/blooper with Steven Webber Talk Back
Posted: 5/26/09 at 12:21am

Hmm that's interesting, it definitely seemed like they broke character for a second, and even the audience caught on and laughed with them. But who knows!

I would assume you have to see the show to go to the talk back, but I would imagine it would be pretty easy to slip into the theater doors as people are walking out. I'd love to see another talk back again as well!

boydowncenter
#3re: 'reasons' small spoiler/blooper with Steven Webber Talk Back
Posted: 5/26/09 at 1:49am

I was there again tonight because I wanted to see the talkback. I've been to the show a few times actually, it's one of my favorites. And I will probably be going back again.
Thomas and Marin always have some kind of moment after his line, but tonight was bigger than usual. I loved it. And it's one of my most favorite moments in the show.

I think their regular talkback idea is a genius one (because this is one of few shows that inspires big conversation), but it just isn't advertised enough. It's not even posted outside of the theatre as you mentioned. I wish they did more with it.
The house was pretty damn full tonight - which actually was surprising because it's Memorial Day and the city was dead. I've had friends see the show this week and they've said the houses have been packed. Maybe the word of mouth is actually starting to happen for this great piece. I have been a huge fan for a while and totally think it should win the Tony.

What did you think of Steven Weber? He's pretty funny.
I wish Thomas had been there.
I don't know what other talkbacks they have lined up. Is there a way to find out?

heo1128
#4re: 'reasons' small spoiler/blooper with Steven Webber Talk Back
Posted: 5/26/09 at 2:23am

Ah good to know the story behind the 'blooper' lol. I really liked Steven Weber! He's a funny guy. I thought it was interesting to hear Pieper say that the "laugh, then cry, then laugh" moment is the most difficult for her. I think she pulled it off well, but it never even occurred to me that that would be the most difficult point in the play for her. And definitely agree that the talk back is a fantastic idea. And more advertising is a MUST, since (especially if they get names like Paul Rudd) it would at least sell a few tickets.

I'd love to see more talk backs at something like August or even Next to Normal.
Updated On: 5/26/09 at 02:23 AM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#5re: 'reasons' small spoiler/blooper with Steven Webber Talk Back
Posted: 5/26/09 at 6:07am

Auuugh. I am so torn as whether or not to see this!!!!!!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

heo1128
#6re: 'reasons' small spoiler/blooper with Steven Webber Talk Back
Posted: 5/26/09 at 8:26am

Definitely do! It's a great thought provoking piece, and rush tickets are easy to come by.

boydowncenter
#7re: 'reasons' small spoiler/blooper with Steven Webber Talk Back
Posted: 5/26/09 at 11:01am

You SO need to see this, I'm telling you, you will NOT be disappointed. There are few shows (nevermind plays) that I can see over and over, and this is top of that list. Just do, and then definitely tell us what you think - because I'm curious to hear your thoughts (especially since you are so torn about seeing it).

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#8re: 'reasons' small spoiler/blooper with Steven Webber Talk Back
Posted: 5/26/09 at 11:22am

It looks like it's selling better as well. I just got an email yesterday with the new discount and there's no longer any $28 discount. So I'm assuming it's sales are picking up. I could be completely wrong though.

boydowncenter
#9re: 'reasons' small spoiler/blooper with Steven Webber Talk Back
Posted: 5/26/09 at 3:57pm

That's good news colorthehours. I hope this show is able to stay around for a long time .I think if it can hang on til some of the other plays with limited engagements close, it could really go the distance. And should.

Mealz1042 Profile Photo
Mealz1042
#10re: 'reasons' small spoiler/blooper with Steven Webber Talk Back
Posted: 5/26/09 at 4:31pm

i was there as well, it definitely felt like nervous laugher to me

<-- Gwen Stewart, SOLoist at the last show of RENT
Cages or wings? Which do you prefer? Ask the birds. Fear or love, baby? Don't say the answer Actions speak louder than words. (Tick, Tick... BOOM!)

FrontRowFirst Profile Photo
FrontRowFirst
#11re: 'reasons' small spoiler/blooper with Steven Webber Talk Back
Posted: 5/26/09 at 10:59pm

Just to the left of the box office window, there is a sign that says the dates for the next couple of talkbacks and who will be doing them. I'm not sure who is next, however, I just know that is where they post it.

I saw the show this past Sunday (loved it!) and saw the talkback with Bobby Cannavale. He was quite funny and laid back.

boydowncenter
#12re: 'reasons' small spoiler/blooper with Steven Webber Talk Back
Posted: 5/27/09 at 12:32am

Ah I wish I could have seen Bobby! He seems like such a funny guy.