pixeltracker

J. Robert Spencer's Tony Performance

J. Robert Spencer's Tony Performance

Chrysanthemum62001
#1J. Robert Spencer's Tony Performance
Posted: 6/8/09 at 11:20pm

I have been watching this over and over since last night. I had NO idea he had that in him. I saw Jersey Boys, and he always seemed out of place to me. I was also never really attracted to him, either. But that performance last night was so freaking hot. I have GOT to see Next to Normal soon.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#2re: J. Robert Spencer's Tony Performance
Posted: 6/8/09 at 11:27pm

I thought he was fantastic in Jersey Boys and strangely adorable during last night's Tonys.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#2re: J. Robert Spencer's Tony Performance
Posted: 6/8/09 at 11:45pm

I thought the same thing when I saw Next to Normal. I was so surprised he had that in him. He blew me away.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#3re: J. Robert Spencer's Tony Performance
Posted: 6/8/09 at 11:46pm

He is amazing in the actual show.

Dolly_Levi Profile Photo
Dolly_Levi
#4re: J. Robert Spencer's Tony Performance
Posted: 6/8/09 at 11:49pm

He is terrific in the show. Very deserving of his nomination.

Laughter is much more important than applause. Applause is almost a duty. Laughter is a reward. Carol Channing

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#5re: J. Robert Spencer's Tony Performance
Posted: 6/8/09 at 11:50pm

Agreed, ljay.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#6re: J. Robert Spencer's Tony Performance
Posted: 6/8/09 at 11:52pm

Specifically for me, his performance in Act 2 blew me away. So troubled looking and you can't help but have so much sympathy for him. And incredibly handsome.

Mike3 Profile Photo
Mike3
#7re: J. Robert Spencer's Tony Performance
Posted: 6/9/09 at 12:07am

His performance is honest and courageous. His scene with Gabe in Act II is devastating.

Man in Chair
#8re: J. Robert Spencer's Tony Performance
Posted: 6/9/09 at 12:09am

He's wonderful. 100% believable.

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#9re: J. Robert Spencer's Tony Performance
Posted: 6/9/09 at 12:10am

His performance is wonderful and very nuanced and subtle. He and Ripley perfectly balance each other in the actual show.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

Craww
#10re: J. Robert Spencer's Tony Performance
Posted: 6/9/09 at 12:12am

I tend to find Dan's role even more affecting than Diana's, so I especially loved him in the show. There's a certain sweetness in his delivery and expressions that is incredibly endearing. (Plus, special props that he switched my first snap judgment on him from "annoying and ugly" to "brilliant and handsome".)

As for the Tony performance in particular? I loved how incredibly grounding he was to the scene. With the extra layer of panic (Tony nerves, the tempo issue), and with a different performance context, he really anchored the performance in a valuable and character appropriate way.

I<3bway Profile Photo
I<3bway
#11re: J. Robert Spencer's Tony Performance
Posted: 6/9/09 at 12:17am

Oh man I was waiting for someone to create this post before I did! Or else I would have sounded a bit creepy!

I knew J. Robert Spencer was in the cast of Jersey Boys, but it seemed that his fellow actors seemed to get more of the limelight from the show (which they deserved). But watching him in that performance last night was intense and moving, and a bit alluring somehow. As if you just wanted to go into the screen and just comfort him! I was half and half on wanting to buy the OBC recording, but now I'm going to buy it at my local bookstore on Saturday because of his performance last night.

I also hear that he's very nice and generous with his fans. I know there's a video up on youtube where he goes onto a bus and thanks fans for coming to see Jersey Boys.

Updated On: 6/9/09 at 12:17 AM

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#12re: J. Robert Spencer's Tony Performance
Posted: 6/9/09 at 12:25am

I<3bway- Just wait til you see the show. His character is probably the most sympathetic. He perfectly portrays a man who is dying inside but tries to put on a brave face.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

I<3bway Profile Photo
I<3bway
#13re: J. Robert Spencer's Tony Performance
Posted: 6/9/09 at 12:28am

wickedfan- Oh how I wish! But alas, I live no where near New York and if I had the money, I would fly out there right now just to see the show! But buying the recording will do just fine for me. Way better than nothing, right?

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#14re: J. Robert Spencer's Tony Performance
Posted: 6/9/09 at 12:31am

He was very impressive on the TONYS.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#15re: J. Robert Spencer's Tony Performance
Posted: 6/9/09 at 12:32am

He stole the number, in my opinion.

He has gone from giving a really stoic and unmemorable performance to one of the best male performances on stage this year. He's fantastic in the show.

I<3bway Profile Photo
I<3bway
#16re: J. Robert Spencer's Tony Performance
Posted: 6/9/09 at 12:32am

It's great to see that he's getting a lot of praise for his performance. I hope this brings more offers and roles his way, because he most definitely deserves it.

Chrysanthemum62001
#17re: J. Robert Spencer's Tony Performance
Posted: 6/9/09 at 12:36am

Man, I love how everyone is saying he was "a bit alluring" or "strangely adorable". I am so gonna get this thread deleted for saying this, but his performance was such a turn on last night. I seriously had to take a moment and gain my composure back. I certainly had not anticipated his performance to be anything like it was. Again, I can't wait to see this sow.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

scott68 Profile Photo
scott68
#18re: J. Robert Spencer's Tony Performance
Posted: 6/9/09 at 12:39am

He's fantastic. I mean, part of it is that I didn't expect his voice to have that contemporary "rock" (with big quotation marks) sound, but he's a phenomenal actor and singer. I love Alice and think she deserved the Tony win 100%, but I hate that it overshadowed Bobby Spencer's performance. He deserved more recognition. (And also, DAMN is he cute. I don't know if "hot" is the right word, but he's definitely gorgeous.)

"Why, I make more money than... than... than Calvin Coolidge! PUT TOGETHER!"
~Lina Lamont

My name wasn't, isn't, and will never be Scott.

skander2 Profile Photo
skander2
#19re: J. Robert Spencer's Tony Performance
Posted: 6/9/09 at 12:40am

He is incredibly kind at the stagedoor...I met him after Jersey Boys and after Next to Normal and he is very gracious. He's also particularly kind to younger fans...very fatherly and warm.

I<3bway Profile Photo
I<3bway
#20re: J. Robert Spencer's Tony Performance
Posted: 6/9/09 at 12:45am

As for the Tony performance in particular? I loved how incredibly grounding he was to the scene. With the extra layer of panic (Tony nerves, the tempo issue), and with a different performance context, he really anchored the performance in a valuable and character appropriate way.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Craww, I'm glad that you saw the panic too! When his part started, I heard a sort of gasping, breathing noise, but I just thought it added to the performance and made the performance even more powerful!

raulmark Profile Photo
raulmark
#21re: J. Robert Spencer's Tony Performance
Posted: 6/9/09 at 1:02am

I saw N2N twice and he's great in it..very real, awesome singer

TIGGOSAURUS Profile Photo
TIGGOSAURUS
#22re: J. Robert Spencer's Tony Performance
Posted: 6/9/09 at 2:19am

I would have loved to have seen him win the Tony - I think his performance in N2N has been massively overlooked compared with Alice Ripley's because his role is far less 'showy'. His honest emotional intensity throughout the show made my heart break for Dan and his Tony performance reinforced that feeling for me.

Seen some shows in my time....

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#23re: J. Robert Spencer's Tony Performance
Posted: 6/9/09 at 2:53am

I think he's absolutely fantastic in the show and is perfect for the role.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#24re: J. Robert Spencer's Tony Performance
Posted: 6/9/09 at 6:11am

The growth in his protrayal is astonishing. I was a big Brian d'arcy James kind of fan, but J. Robert Spencer has totally won me over.

Congrats and bravo!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.