Musical-Writing Contest

wickedfan11 Profile Photo
wickedfan11
#1Musical-Writing Contest
Posted: 6/11/09 at 8:57am

Since it's the summer, I decided it would be a great time for a musical-writing contest. I decided that I will have two contests: one for original works and one for sequels.

The rules for Contest 1:
1. These scripts may be based off of a film, book, or television show. It may also be completely original.
2. You may write a one-act musical or full-length.
3. You need to write song lyrics for the songs, although you do not need to include sheet music.
4. Ideas must be submitted to me by PM by June 25th.
5. Musicals must be sent to me by PM (Upload to sendspace.com first. Then, PM me the link.) by September 1st.
6. One-act musicals must be sent to me through PM by July 31th.
7. The winner will be announced by October 15th.
8. The winner's work will be available for viewing in this thread.

The rules for Contest 2:
1. These scripts must be a sequel or prequel to an existing musical that has been performed on Broadway.
2. It may be one-act or full-length.
3. You need to write song lyrics for the songs, although you do not need to include sheet music.
4. At least three characters must have been in the original musical. [Ensemble characters from the original may count as one of the 3 characters, although they must be treated as a lead. (Example: Brenda and Corny Collins could get married and visit Shelley. That was a bad example,but it illustrates my point.)]
5. Ideas must be submitted to me by PM by June 20th.
6. I will post a list of the musicals, as no musical may have more than one sequel/prequel.
7. Musicals must be submitted to me through PM (Upload to sendspace.com and send me the link) by August 25th.
8. One-act musicals must be sent to me by July 31st.
9. The winner will be announced by October 1st.
10. The winner's work will be posted in this thread for viewing.

If you have any additional questions, post them here.

Thanks!

CONTEST 1 SUBMITTED IDEAS (May not be used by anyone else):
*Tim Burton's BEETLEJUICE: the Musical (darquegk)
*Tim Burton's Corpse Bride: the Musical (AndAllThatJazz22)
*Alpha Male (dlmusic)

CONTEST 2 SUBMITTED IDEAS:
*Les Miserables 2 (Schmerg_The_Impaler)
*DisinHAIRited (HAIR sequel, darquegk)
Updated On: 6/14/09 at 08:57 AM

AndAllThatJazz22
#2re: Musical-Writing Contest
Posted: 6/11/09 at 11:15am

Highly interested in doing this. With me being the perfectionist that I am, I would HAVE to send you audios of the music. How would you like for me to do that?

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.
Updated On: 6/11/09 at 11:15 AM

SharpCookies
#2re: Musical-Writing Contest
Posted: 6/11/09 at 11:25am

I would be very interested in doing this. :3 My only problem is with coming up with a good idea... *sighs* Oh, and is it ok if some people have other people helping them create it? I've actually been a part of quite a few fan made musicals developement and I find if more than one person works on it more work is done, more creative and amazing ideas are created and etc. But if it's just a one person thing I understand.

wickedfan11
#3re: Musical-Writing Contest
Posted: 6/11/09 at 11:33am

AndAllThatJazz22- You can upload the audios to www.sendspace.com and PM the links to me.

SharpCookies- You can have a collaborator and you will both be credited as writing it. You can make a sequel/prequel of an existing musical, which would be easier to come up with ideas for.

You too can submit your ideas as soon as you have them.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#4re: Musical-Writing Contest
Posted: 6/11/09 at 2:35pm

I hereby enter!

Contest 1: I submit "Tim Burton's BEETLEJUICE: The Musical." PM me for the script and lyrics.

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#5re: Musical-Writing Contest
Posted: 6/11/09 at 3:20pm

Wickedfan11, can I resubmit my "Les Miserables 2" bit of ridiculousness that I did for Esparza's contest, which did not go through?

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

wickedfan11
#6re: Musical-Writing Contest
Posted: 6/11/09 at 3:32pm

You may. How long is it?

Josh Freilich
#7re: Musical-Writing Contest
Posted: 6/11/09 at 4:43pm

This sounds like an awesome plan!

"How could she just suddenly, completely disappear into thin water?" - The Little Mermaid

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#8re: Musical-Writing Contest
Posted: 6/11/09 at 11:10pm

I will also be (tentatively) entering Contest 2 with DisinHAIRited, a play chronicling the Tribe as it falls apart in the aftermath of Claude's death and tries to find its place in a post-hippie society.

SahDu
#9re: Musical-Writing Contest
Posted: 6/11/09 at 11:55pm

I would be interested in co-writing with someone, as I am not skilled enough at the piano to be able to compose. I do have experience with script/lyric writing. If anyone would like to team up, let me know. Thanks!

BamaEd
#10re: Musical-Writing Contest
Posted: 6/12/09 at 12:07am

Dang, no room for my 80s jukebox musical. LOL. I'm not kidding, I've been plotting this sucker out for a few years now. Dramatic and serious, not like Rock of Ages. I even have the perfect title song which closes my show.

I'll have to come up with my 2nd option then. Sounds like a good weekend project!

CurtisTaylorJr2 Profile Photo
CurtisTaylorJr2
#11re: Musical-Writing Contest
Posted: 6/12/09 at 1:46am

Very interested in doing this, sounds like fun.

wickedfan11
#12re: Musical-Writing Contest
Posted: 6/12/09 at 6:49am

SahDu- I only need book and lyrics. No actual music is needed.

BamaEd- I'll allow a jukebox musical if there is lots of book.

wickedfan11
#13re: Musical-Writing Contest
Posted: 6/14/09 at 6:30am

Keep submitting ideas!

dlmusic
#14re: Musical-Writing Contest
Posted: 6/14/09 at 9:24am

I'd be happy to submit my original show "Alpha Male" for contest #1.

LadyDramaturg2
#15re: Musical-Writing Contest
Posted: 6/14/09 at 3:31pm

SahDu- I only need book and lyrics. No actual music is needed.

Yeah, I was going to say, 7-weeks to write a one-act musical?! But you're not talking about writing any music, right? You just want a story with accompanying lyrics (or a sung-through libretto, I guess).

Is it just me, but is that really writing a "Musical?"

Maybe it's my own personal bias, but I kinda feel like it's the music in the thing that makes or breaks it (well, Capeman could be one exception)...

So are you just looking for a really great story?

wickedfan11
#16re: Musical-Writing Contest
Posted: 6/14/09 at 3:44pm

I'm looking for a creative and well-written good story.

wickedfan11
#17re: Musical-Writing Contest
Posted: 6/20/09 at 3:32pm

Bump! The idea submission period for the musical sequel contest is over and we only have two entries. They will still compete as scheduled. All musical sequels are doing July 31st.

Ideas for the original musical contest must be submitted by June 25th. If you have an idea you'd like to submit, please submit it as soon as possible.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#18re: Musical-Writing Contest
Posted: 7/20/09 at 11:15pm

So, how's this going for everyone?

Leia947
#19re: Musical-Writing Contest
Posted: 7/20/09 at 11:43pm

I wish I had seen this sooner... I've writing bits and pieces of an original musical (at least I think no one has taken what I am before)... but like some others, I'm totally musically inept... I'm more of a lyricist/book person :-/

"And I'm a grown up....I don't go on vacations....I go to Broadway." - dramamama611

"Even I think that's hot, and I'm a straight guy. If I ever become gay he is the reason." - Drunk Chita Rivera on Gavin Creel

"Leia947 is my theatre mamma, and I love her for it." - AndAllThatJazz22

Videos