pixeltracker

82nd Academy Awards To Feature 10 Best Picture Nominees, Ceremony Held March 7, 2010- Page 2

82nd Academy Awards To Feature 10 Best Picture Nominees, Ceremony Held March 7, 2010

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#25re: 82nd Academy Awards To Feature 10 Best Picture Nominees, Ceremony Held
Posted: 6/24/09 at 6:08pm

I've been a Christopher Nolan fan since FOLLOWING (and MEMENTO) but what he has achieved with the BATMAN franchise, particularly this new entry, is the best American studio film work of the year.

Huh. Too bad I didn't like it. Loved Momento, though. I can understand people's enthusiasm for the film if for the sole reason that it wasn't directed by Joel Schumacher. But like the Lord of the Rings (especially II & III), I was simply bored and at times, annoyed. I thought Batman Begins was far superior. Ledger was wonderful, though.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#26re: 82nd Academy Awards To Feature 10 Best Picture Nominees, Ceremony Held
Posted: 6/24/09 at 6:29pm

THE DARK KNIGHT not getting nominated was fair and square, that movie deserved no Best Picture nod and the only acting nod/win it got was the only acting nod/win it deserved. There was nothing unfair about it.
I don't like the idea of expanding it to 10 nominees, I'd be more comfortable if they said it was okay to open it up to more than 5, say if a couple movies came really close to whatever votes they need, then they can have 7 nominees or even 10 yes, but determining that they'll have 10 for sure makes me feel that a few unworthy films will become Oscar-nominees, split the Best Pic vote, and it'll be a big hot mess. I predict this will be a one year thing.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#27re: 82nd Academy Awards To Feature 10 Best Picture Nominees, Ceremony Held
Posted: 6/24/09 at 6:29pm

Mister Matt, I completely agree. Sometimes I feel like the only person who isn't head-over-heels in love with that movie.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#28re: 82nd Academy Awards To Feature 10 Best Picture Nominees, Ceremony Held
Posted: 6/24/09 at 6:32pm

You really have to see the film two or three times (and/or read the screenplay) to truly understand why it is such an amazing achievement. And you have to pay close attention. Millions of details, literally, are scatterred throughout the film (count the number of joker cards in nearly every scene, almost always well hidden) and enhance one's perception of the enterprise each time it is revisited.

In ten years you may find it to be as brilliant as I do today and I may feel that BEGINS is a superior achievement (it isn't and I won't but here's to trying!).

LOTR is a snoozefest. I'm not a fan. At all. And it's not really fair to compare them.

I don't think in my lifetime I will see another film that is a work of art that just so happens to be the most successuful film of the century thus far.

P

TimesSquareRegular Profile Photo
TimesSquareRegular
#29re: 82nd Academy Awards To Feature 10 Best Picture Nominees, Ceremony Held
Posted: 6/24/09 at 6:35pm

One year they actually had TWELVE nominated.

I can just imagine how long the telecast will be now...

2016 These Paper Bullets (1/02) Our Mother's Brief Affair (1/06), Dragon Boat Racing (1/08), Howard - reading (1/28), Shear Madness (2/10), Fun Home (2/17), Women Without Men (2/18), Trip Of Love (2/21), The First Gentleman -reading (2/22), Southern Comfort (2/23), The Robber Bridegroom (2/24), She Loves Me (3/11), Shuffle Along (4/12), Shear Madness (4/14), Dear Evan Hansen (4/16), American Psycho (4/23), Tuck Everlasting (5/10), Indian Summer (5/15), Peer Gynt (5/18), Broadway's Rising Stars (7/11), Trip of Love (7/27), CATS (7/31), The Layover (8/17), An Act Of God (8/31), The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (8/24), Heisenberg (10/12), Fiddler On The Roof (11/02), Othello (11/23), Dear Evan Hansen (11/26), Les Liaisons Dangereuses (12/21) 2017 In Transit (2/01), Groundhog Day (4/04), Ring Twice For Miranda (4/07), Church And State (4/10), The Lucky One (4/19), Ernest Shackleton Loves Me (5/16), Building The Wall (5/19), Indecent (6/01), Six Degrees of Separation (6/09), Marvin's Room (6/28), A Doll's House Pt 2 (7/25) Curvy Widow (8/01)

RockabyeHamlet
#30re: 82nd Academy Awards To Feature 10 Best Picture Nominees, Ceremony Held
Posted: 6/24/09 at 6:39pm

I am glad I am not the only one who liked Holmes in Pieces of April. The entire film is actually quite good.

"I wouldn't let Esparza's Bobby take my kids to the zoo...I'd be afraid he'd steal their ice cream and laugh."- YankeeFan
"People who like Sondheim enjoy cruelty."-LuvtheEmcee

fromthecity
#31re: 82nd Academy Awards To Feature 10 Best Picture Nominees, Ceremony Held
Posted: 6/24/09 at 6:41pm

PGenre, I agree with you that TDK deserved the fifth slot over The Reader. Am I surprised it was not nodded? Absolutely not. Mainstream America are not the audience of voters for AMPAS.

At least this is a nod in a better direction. It allows a wider array of movies to be seen. Last year, for example, our ten nominees could have been: Slumdog Millionaire, Frost/Nixon, Milk, Ben Button, The Reader, The Dark Knight, Doubt, Changeling, Rachel Getting Married, Happy-Go-Lucky

But suggesting that somebody "study" the movie or read the screenplay defeats the purpose of it being a good movie. I agree with you, and I do enjoy the subtleties, but some people overlook them in search of a greater substance(and don't care if they do). AMPAS people included.

And in no way did Oldman or Roberts deserve a nomination for their performances. Sure, they were great in their respective characters, but in such an ensemble cast, Ledger was the only one to reach the level of remarkability. Even with ten supporting actor candidates, neither had the buzz behind them to snag a spot.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#32re: 82nd Academy Awards To Feature 10 Best Picture Nominees, Ceremony Held
Posted: 6/24/09 at 6:51pm

It will be more of a competition. Maybe we can have a real competion this way. What happens if they can not find 10?

Poster Emeritus

shh282 Profile Photo
shh282
little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#34re: 82nd Academy Awards To Feature 10 Best Picture Nominees, Ceremony Held
Posted: 6/24/09 at 6:59pm

That's what I'm wondering. Is it like the Tonys and they have to fill all ten spots?

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

fgreene1938 Profile Photo
fgreene1938
#35re: 82nd Academy Awards To Feature 10 Best Picture Nominees, Ceremony Held
Posted: 6/24/09 at 7:21pm

The Academy has fallen into extreme disrepair over the years and this is just one more example of the desperation of this anachronistic warhorse. They have trouble even filling slots for five films, much less ten. One blog I read said, "now films like 'Iron Man', 'Tropic Thunder' and 'Night at the Museum' will have a chance for an Oscar"....and the putz who wrote this was serious! It's a ploy for ratings with the hope that CGI-dependent adolescent actions pics can start bringing home the gold. I know when I think of great Oscar winning films, my mind usually runs the gamut from "Lawrence of Arabia" to "The Godfather" to....well....lets say, um...."Star Trek - 2009"? It's class with a Capitol "K".

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#36re: 82nd Academy Awards To Feature 10 Best Picture Nominees, Ceremony Held
Posted: 6/24/09 at 7:36pm

Maybe now comedy, which has gotten the short straw over the years, will be honored accordingly.

Poster Emeritus

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#37re: 82nd Academy Awards To Feature 10 Best Picture Nominees, Ceremony Held
Posted: 6/24/09 at 7:59pm

In my opinion, both Iron Man and Tropic Thunder were better films than whorish Oscar bait like The Reader and Milk.

This year doesn't have any giant blockbusters any better than "pretty good" so far, though. Just a lot of good small films that will never get recognition. Updated On: 6/24/09 at 07:59 PM

Videos