News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

2011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread- Page 6

2011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread

julesboogie Profile Photo
julesboogie
#1252011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 12:39pm

Hmm always thought chairs were considered set and not props. I have to disagree. Interlinking chairs, some planks, and some fabric, that created a train, courtroom, shadow puppet show, a solitary confinement box, all while still being simple enough to keep with the semicircle/ minimal look that goes along with minstrelsy. I think it was not only an amazing set, but showed tons of ingenuity on behalf of the designer. Anybody can put together a flashy set if you throw enough money at them. This was down to bare bones, and the actual genius showed thru. IMO 2011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread

Thx for replying

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#1262011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 12:42pm

Wow, see if you can count the egregious errors in the analysis piece from E!
Yikes!

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#1272011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 12:46pm

What a condescending article.

But I love number 4!

....but the world goes 'round

Christoph
#1282011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 12:47pm

Somehow they have managed to turn the Best Actor contest into an incredibly boring category. I half-expected another snub for Tveit even though I thought he deserved the nod more than Butz, but to snub Radcliffe AGAIN? I seriously do not get the Rannells love for Mormon.

And what the heck is with the nods for Women on the Verge? Benanti was a given, but this upsurge of support for LuPone and the nomination for score is obscene.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#1292011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 12:50pm

Interlinking chairs, some planks, and some fabric, that created a train, courtroom, shadow puppet show, a solitary confinement box, all while still being simple enough to keep with the semicircle/ minimal look that goes along with minstrelsy. I think it was not only an amazing set, but showed tons of ingenuity on behalf of the designer.

Except the designer didn't design a confinement box, a train, a courtroom, and a shadow puppet show. Stroman created those things OUT OF the chairs. The set designer created the chairs (which were probably purchased, not made) and basically nothing else. You are so focused on the concept that you can't separate the actual design from the direction.

Taryn Profile Photo
Taryn
#1302011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 12:51pm

Sad about the lack of love for BBAJ. 2011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread

Philomena Profile Photo
Philomena
#1312011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 12:54pm

I can't remember a year that so many previous winners have been nominated in the same year:

Brian Bedford
Al Pacino
Mark Rylance
Vanessa Redgrave
Billy Crudup
Norbert Leo Butz
Sutton Foster
Beth Leavel
Donna Murphy
Laura Benanti
Victoria Clark
Patti LuPone

Edited to add Joel Grey (for Best Director) Updated On: 5/3/11 at 12:54 PM

bwaydreamer
#1322011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 12:57pm

Patti Lupone should not have been nominated. She is fantastic but that show was dreadful, her part was awful, and she did NOTHING with it. She should not be nominated over Laura Osnes or anyone else.

Scottsboro Boys was a great show, but not that great. I think the Tony committee was punishing all the other bad shows out now by nominated SB for everything. Scenic Design, REALLY!?! There was no set. It was all Stroman's direction. Sound, really!?!? It was about as bare a sound production can be.

bryan
#1332011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 12:58pm

no tony nominations for wonderland.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#1342011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 2:00pm

^ As it should be. Crap with glitter thrown on it.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#1352011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 2:05pm

Actually, Bwaydreamer, Patti had the best song in the show, and worked wonders with it. It was the one moment I really thought was mesmerizing in a show I truly did not care for.

Kalimba Profile Photo
Kalimba
#1362011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 2:06pm

Me thinks Cuddles' days on Broadway are over.

Bwaynerd Profile Photo
Bwaynerd
#1372011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 2:06pm

i knew that wonderland wouldnt get nominated really, but im very suprised it wasnt nominated for best lighting design

"(in a sweedish accent) Oh! What a lovely T-shirt you are wearing!"- Catherine Zeta-Jones refering to my ALNM shirt at the CD signing. Say NO to drugs and YES to Jackie Hoffman Live At Joes Pub! "ITS THE DAY OF THE SHOW YA'LL!!"-Bwaynerd

IdinaBellFoster
#1382011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 2:07pm

Laura Osnes got great reviews and did a great job with a usually thankless role, kudos to her. But listen to Patti sing "Invisible" and you'll understand the nomination.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

littlegreen2 Profile Photo
littlegreen2
#1392011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 2:10pm

I read this in a recent interview with Alice Ripley and she mentioned LuPone's performance in WOTV. I know her opinions are irrelevant when it comes to the Tonys but I figured I would share.

[Interviewer:“Can you recall a theatrical experience or someone else's performance which stands out as a 'Yes, this is what theatre is!' moment that inspired you?”

Alice Ripley: Bernadette Peters in concert, or Patti LuPone singing 'Invisible' in Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown.]

https://chicago.broadwayworld.com/printcolumn.php?id=230259

"I will not cease from mental fight, nor shall my sword sleep in my hand: Till we have built Jerusalem in England's green and pleasant land."

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#1402011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 2:14pm

Very glad to see that Laura B was nominated for "Verge." She was hysterical.

theatrepaul Profile Photo
theatrepaul
#1412011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 2:17pm

What did Priscilla do to deserve so few nominations?

IdinaBellFoster
#1422011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 2:21pm

PRISCILLA got mixed reviews, and was slightly edged out by CATCH ME in the end, mostly due to the names behind CATCH ME.

PRICILLA is a fun show, but lacks substance. It got nominations where it should have (Costumes, Sheldon, etc.). Even MAMMA MIA has a better Book then PRICILLA.

IdinaBellFoster
#1432011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 2:32pm

Also, interesting to note that Tveit & Radcliffe were both snubbed in 2009 for their critical praised performances.

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#1442011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 2:39pm

A little kudos to BWW, btw, as I always enjoy reading the little "how I found out" anecdotes from the nominees. And I had no idea Bobby Cannavale and Sutton Foster were dating. Where have I been?

CockeyedOptimist2 Profile Photo
CockeyedOptimist2
#1452011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 2:54pm

They've been dating since doing "Trust" at Second Stage late last summer.

Wishing Only Wounds Profile Photo
Wishing Only Wounds
#1462011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 3:15pm

Very underwhelmed by these nominations.

Formerly: WishingOnlyWounds2 - Broadway Legend - Joined: 9/25/08

nexttotheheights Profile Photo
nexttotheheights
#1472011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 3:24pm

Few Things:

1. Glad Joshua Henry, the score, the book, and the musical were nominated for Scottsboro Boys, but I didn't expect 12 nominations.

2. I didn't expect the Tveit snub. It's sad that he was snubbed for Next to Normal and now Catch Me.

3. Sherie Renee Scott should have been nominated.

For those who thought NEXT TO NORMAL wouldn't have a life outside Broadway, well it's now playing in 4 cities, 9 different countries and has been translated into 6 languages.

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#1482011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 3:25pm

Patti deserved that nomination. She went from hilarious to breaking your heart in "Invisible".

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#1492011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 3:29pm

I'm angry they snubbed 80 something acting legend Estelle Parsons for Joanna Lumley.

I'm really not that surprised. Parsons is fine in what basically amounts to a scenery-chewing role, but it wasn't really anything more than Parson doing her Parsons thing. Loved her in it, but I didn't see anything unique or challenging going on. She plays a two-dimensional character doing the same schtick over and over in every scene. I honestly would have expected nominations for Goldsberry or Baker over Parsons for that play.

I am disappointed Women on the Verge wasn't nominated for orchestrations. And I think it deserved a Best Musical nom over Sister Act or Catch Me, but I knew it wouldn't happen. I can't wait to see how Featured Actress in a Musical turns out. I'd be happy for Benanti, LuPone or James. I think they are all deserving, but I'm rooting for Benanti. I think it was the standout and surprise performance of the season.

And Was Patti Lupones role worth a nomination? I dont know much about Verge.

Absolutely. It was a substantial role with depth and range. She nailed it.

Except for the inclusion of that awful Verge score, I think these nominations are just right.

Since the score one of the best of the season, then its inclusion shouldn't bother you so much.

Hope Gad wins for Mormon. He delivers a performance that will be tough to replace.

She is fantastic but that show was dreadful, her part was awful, and she did NOTHING with it.

I would agree with all of that if I didn't feel completely opposite. It wasn't, it wasn't and the hell she didn't.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Videos