News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Angels in America...

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#25re: Angels in America...
Posted: 8/21/05 at 11:16am

Maybe I'll watch it later. Oy. My copy of the play is falling apart!

A work of art is an invitation to love.

life_so_far Profile Photo
life_so_far
#26re: Angels in America...
Posted: 8/21/05 at 11:22am

luvtheEmcee- I had a really similar reaction. I was completely floored. I had rented it from Blockbuster and planned to watch an Episode a day. I couldn't stop watching it and finished the first three hours. The next day... well, lets just say I pity the people I know... I constantly talked about it. I tried to recreate the scenes for them (yeah... didn't turn out too well) and explain to them the impact it had on me.

Mujhse Dosti Karoge?

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#27re: Angels in America...
Posted: 8/21/05 at 11:30am

hah! When I experience stuff like that, I just don't talk at all. So, I guess my mother was actually slightly pleased.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

pab Profile Photo
pab
#28re: Angels in America...
Posted: 8/21/05 at 11:34am

I saw "Millenium Approaches" at a matinee and "Perestroika" at an evening performance on the same day so it's hard for me to separate them into two different plays. To me it's all "Angels In America" and a brilliant day of theatre.

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#29re: Angels in America...
Posted: 8/21/05 at 11:34am

I did notice one thing about Tony Kushner's writing style while watching the movie and having ejoyed the Caroline, or Change obcr. It's that he puts all these fascinating historical facts and probably his own thoughts about them through the characters. I dont know how to explain it, but you can really tell that he has his own style.

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

YouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
#30re: Angels in America...
Posted: 8/21/05 at 12:00pm

Mary Louise Parker's acting is almost always effortless in appearance. Everything seems just so natural. But everyone in that show was amazing.

I may have to go get a copy of the series to watch it again.

I never saw the stage production, but was, as I said before, completely blown away by the HBO Production.

Even though it is in some ways a period piece, it does not seem dated. Which, is probably a sad commentary on society, but that is for another thread.

I think I have plans for next weekend now . . . Marathon time with friends.

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#31re: Angels in America...
Posted: 8/21/05 at 4:07pm

you're not going to do any better than that. I know, I know, "the magic of theater" is always more powerful than film, and it would still be interesting to see new interpretations and yada, yada, yada...but seriously, no one's ever going to be able to top it.

I don't know about that. From many accounts on this board who saw both the film and stage versions, the HBO movie version paled in comparison to the original Broadway production. I wasn't lucky enough to see the stage show, but everyone I've conversed about this topic have said that the Nichols' film was largely missing the comedic energy of the play, and Justin Kirk's performance is a grave misinterpretation of Prior.

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."

Videos