News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Angels in America...

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#0Angels in America...
Posted: 8/21/05 at 12:56am

I just finished watching the whole HBO miniseries, and I don't know how to explain what I've just seen or how to. It was a fascinating miniseries though. haha I just think I need to digest it all :-p.

So what are your thoughts on this miniseries and/or play?

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D
Updated On: 8/21/05 at 12:56 AM

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#1re: Angels in America...
Posted: 8/21/05 at 1:01am

I think the most underrated performance in the HBO version was Patrick Wilson's. He deserved every award that went to Jeffrey Wright.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#2re: Angels in America...
Posted: 8/21/05 at 1:50am

I read the plays several years ago, and enjoyed them tremendously, although I think that "Millennium Approaches" is much better than "Perestroika" (sp?).

I think that the HBO version is excellent. Perfectly cast, wondefully directed, pretty much flawless...which is kind of sad actually, since now I feel like there's no point in anybody even trying to do it onstage again, because you're not going to do any better than that. I know, I know, "the magic of theater" is always more powerful than film, and it would still be interesting to see new interpretations and yada, yada, yada...but seriously, no one's ever going to be able to top it.

The Distinctive Baritone
#3re: Angels in America...

Damn...didn't mean to post it THREE TIMES! Updated On: 8/21/05 at 01:50 AM

The Distinctive Baritone
#4re: Angels in America...

See above. Updated On: 8/21/05 at 01:50 AM

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#5re: Angels in America...
Posted: 8/21/05 at 1:51am

Nah, as much as I love Patrick, and as breathtaking as his performance was, I can't say that Jeffrey Wright didn't totally deserve that award.

And I'm glad you finally saw it, chinkie. That play/movie changed my life - truly a masterpiece like none other.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

Patronus Profile Photo
Patronus
#6re: Angels in America...
Posted: 8/21/05 at 1:54am

I missed it on HBO and still haven't forked out the $$$ for the DVD.

This thread is sparking my motivation a bit though.

I did see it live in Atlanta roughly 10 years ago, but was probably too young to truly enjoy it.

YouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
#7re: Angels in America...
Posted: 8/21/05 at 1:58am

I thought the whole thing was amazing. I saw it on HBO when it first came out, and was speechless for a bit afterwards.

I actually though Al Pacino, in a few over-acting scenery chewing moments, was pretty amazing, as was Meryl Street as Ethel Rosenberg. Many folks today forget that the Rosenbergs were executed . . . Roy Cohn, the Karl Rove of the Cold War, in my humble opinion of course.

It is something you can watch multiple times just to see the varied performances. Each time, you just end up in awe of the actors. (or at least I do).

Updated On: 8/21/05 at 01:58 AM

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#8re: Angels in America...
Posted: 8/21/05 at 1:59am

Might I say that Jeffrey Wright deserved every award he has ever gotten for that show, just for the mere fact that he can transform characters...This guy is a genius when it comes to actinf, from Basquiat to Martin Luther King Jr. to Belize...He NEVER plays the same character...or shall I say - He doesn't have the Meg Ryan/Julia Roberts/Jennifer Lopez/Tom Cruise/Denzel Washington/Jim Carey Syndrome.

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

nodaybut2day2007
#9re: Angels in America...
Posted: 8/21/05 at 2:02am

For all of you in Ohio. There will be a performance of Angels in America in November and May (Pts 1 & 2 respectivly) in Akron. I will post dates and where exactly later. But as for the HBO special. I think it was one of the most wonderful things i have ever seen. Patrick Wilson was amazing in the role and I can't imagine anyone doing it better tahn him. That also being said for the rest of the cast.

Ulla-la Profile Photo
Ulla-la
#10re: Angels in America...
Posted: 8/21/05 at 3:44am

I can't tell you how much this play means to me, I have to say it really did change my life. I read it quite a while ago and finally got the DVD's this year. The play is also forming part of my dissertation project which looks at the way the US has represented AIDS in theatre and film.

The performances are outstanding in the HBO version, Wilson I felt was worthy of the praise he got but mention should also be made to Jeffery Wright (the only memeber of the orginal cast in the filmed version) and Justin Kirk who I thought outstanding. This said Patrick Wilson's performance in Angels did compell me to finally watch Phantom.

"Nothing lasts forever in this world there is a kind of painful progress" Angels in America

luvtheEmcee
#11re: Angels in America...
Posted: 8/21/05 at 3:47am

Justin Kirk's performance = highly underappreciated.

Emilia Profile Photo
Emilia
#12re: Angels in America...
Posted: 8/21/05 at 5:50am

Amen to that Emcee

From the scene where he tells Louis at the begining to standing in front of the Angels, Justin brought a very human and very natural element to that role, I think the writing could make it easy to be over the top and at times quite unlikeable in the role of Prior but what Justin did was great, I was feeling everything along with him and at times it's hard for me to watch, so in my opinon that's a job well done.

As you can tell I have a very strong affection for this play!

'It was six hours! I don't even like to have sex or eat bacon for six hours!' 'You are faboulous creatures each and every one'

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#13re: Angels in America...
Posted: 8/21/05 at 6:01am

Before seeing the movie, I had always wanted to play Louis. Thanks to Justin, Prior is now my goal role.

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

Pinguin Profile Photo
Pinguin
#14re: Angels in America...
Posted: 8/21/05 at 6:04am

What an AMAZING piece of work -I think some of the effects in the movie are a bit hokey, but overall, I'm in love :0)

-Anyone want to turn anarchist with me?

"Bless you and all who know you, oh wise and penguined one." ~YouWantItWhen????

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#15re: Angels in America...
Posted: 8/21/05 at 6:15am

Let's not forget how WONDERFUL Mary Louise Parker is...then again, she's WONDERFUL in everything.

Pinguin Profile Photo
Pinguin
#16re: Angels in America...
Posted: 8/21/05 at 6:19am

True that, Justice. She is so captivating, I love her in everything I see her in.

-Anyone want to turn anarchist with me?

"Bless you and all who know you, oh wise and penguined one." ~YouWantItWhen????

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#17re: Angels in America...
Posted: 8/21/05 at 6:33am

Yes,

I would see her in anything...including that bad independent film about her theiving son...I think it was called "The best little theif" or something...
Loved her on Broadway in "Reckless"

She is a joy to watch.

I can't wait to start watching "Weeds". Haven't seen it yet.

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#18re: Angels in America...
Posted: 8/21/05 at 9:32am

"What an AMAZING piece of work -I think some of the effects in the movie are a bit hokey, but overall, I'm in love :0)"

I completely agree with you Pinguin. A lot of the times I was like, "WTF?!"

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

life_so_far Profile Photo
life_so_far
#19re: Angels in America...
Posted: 8/21/05 at 9:52am

I love Angels in America oh so much. Quite obsessed , other I don't have all the dialouge memorized just yet. Haha...

Anyways, I wish that all three of the (Justin Kirk, Patrick Wilson and Jeffery Wright) could have gotten awards. I think that their performances were nothing less than amazing. Since they were my first exposure to Angels in America, their portrayals will always be the characters for me.

Mary Louise Parker was amazing. If I had any acting skill at all, I would love to play Harper but I doubt that I could ever come close to what she did.

Mujhse Dosti Karoge?

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#20re: Angels in America...
Posted: 8/21/05 at 10:00am

as Life said Mary Louise was my favorite thing about the amazing mini series (only watched part 1)

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

life_so_far Profile Photo
life_so_far
#21re: Angels in America...
Posted: 8/21/05 at 10:19am

I forgot to mention this- Millenium Apporaches was my favorite out of the two, although Perostrokia did have some of my favorite scenes (when Prior goes to see Joe- haha, thats a great scene!)

I know that The Distinctive Baritone said he liked Part 1 better, anyone else?

Mujhse Dosti Karoge?

luvtheEmcee
#22re: Angels in America...
Posted: 8/21/05 at 10:41am

I also like Millennium Approaches better, though... I'm not sure why.

I just remember not being able to sleep after I watched the first part, the night they aired it. I don't think I'll ever forget that - I just sat on my couch, frozen. Afraid to move.

That movie made me fall head over heels for MLP. Brilliant.

Updated On: 8/21/05 at 10:41 AM

Glebb Profile Photo
Glebb
#23re: Angels in America...
Posted: 8/21/05 at 10:49am

It's all about Meryl.

" ...the happiness in the tune convinces me that I'm not afraid."

Alix7272 Profile Photo
Alix7272
#24re: Angels in America...
Posted: 8/21/05 at 11:14am

Meryl is awesome in that movie, as is the rest of the cast. it's brilliant!!

yesterday, i bought a copy of the play to read (again) after watching the movie. yay.

No Child: http://www.epictheatrectr.org/
I Love You Because OCR: http://www.psclassics.com/cd_iloveyou.html

Videos