News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Carrie

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#25re: Carrie
Posted: 1/24/05 at 11:45am

I certainly hope so.

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

Anastasia_Beaverhausen Profile Photo
Anastasia_Beaverhausen
#26re: Carrie
Posted: 1/24/05 at 11:46am

I think most of the music in the show is very good. I think with the right creative team, there is something really good there. It's funny though, Dean Pitchford doesn't even list the show in his bio! :) Updated On: 1/24/05 at 11:46 AM

Mimi Imfurst
#27re: Carrie
Posted: 1/24/05 at 11:53am

The show was a mess but a wonderful mess. I'd love to see a really good stab at this in a large off broadway theatre. Jerry Mitchell is the first guy to come to mind to choreograph.

NYC's Most Retarded Drag Queen The Mimi Show: hosted by Mimi Imfurst features Broadway stars Tuesdays @ 10:30pm Weekly! June 13th: Hairspray's Michelle Dowdy, June 20th: Aida's Lori Ann Strunk, June 27th: Composer Katie Thompson No Cover- No Drink Minimum OW BAR: 221 E 58th Street (between 2nd and 3rd) www.owbar.com

JohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
#28re: Carrie
Posted: 1/24/05 at 12:02pm

There are two or three effective songs between the mother and Carrie. The rest of the show is a complete embarrassment. It won't work unless it's completely rewritten and restructured.

At that point, they might as well just start over.

jczelyph Profile Photo
jczelyph
#29re: Carrie
Posted: 1/24/05 at 12:04pm

So, that jacksretail.com site has Disc 2 of the bootleg but is Disc 1 available anywhere? Someone PM me or leave a message if anyone has any info. Thanks gang!

"Jane, I've been dealt a blow - I've been dealt a blow, Jane."

Mimi Imfurst
#30re: Carrie
Posted: 1/24/05 at 12:23pm

I saw a production of the show done last october- it was pretty damn amazing... the music IS good. the book needs a rewrite. However, its way better than some of the material written in past history... I think it was taken too seriously- and thus- a mess ensues. Take showgirls for instance...when taken seriously, its a mess. But when you look at it for camp value and as a mess, its ABSOLUTELY brillant. I think of alot of things this way. The score from Carrie- sorta reminds me of that of Whorehouse- the music is just as good. I think Carrie has a lot of merit than people give it.

Anyone remember when they showed the Carrie commercial during the tonys break?

NYC's Most Retarded Drag Queen The Mimi Show: hosted by Mimi Imfurst features Broadway stars Tuesdays @ 10:30pm Weekly! June 13th: Hairspray's Michelle Dowdy, June 20th: Aida's Lori Ann Strunk, June 27th: Composer Katie Thompson No Cover- No Drink Minimum OW BAR: 221 E 58th Street (between 2nd and 3rd) www.owbar.com

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#31re: Carrie
Posted: 1/24/05 at 12:27pm

I never saw it!
What was the Carrie commercial like?

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

FranklinShepard-Inc.
#32re: Carrie
Posted: 1/25/05 at 11:12am

"So, that jacksretail.com site has Disc 2 of the bootleg but is Disc 1 available anywhere? Someone PM me or leave a message if anyone has any info. Thanks gang! "

oh, yes, to me too please re: Carrie

Jay

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#33re: Carrie
Posted: 1/25/05 at 11:57am

I collect Carrie stuff because I missed the opportunity to see the show (I'm only missing the Playbill and the poster). My first visit to NYC was only for 24 hours and we had tickets to Les Mis, but also running that week were Anything Goes, Carrie, Chess, Sarafina, Romance/Romance, Into the Woods, The Gospel at Colonus (with Morgan Freeman!) and Mail. I think most of the Carrie material is quite good and salvageable. Some of the rhyming dialogue needs to be completely rewritten as well as the lyrics to some of the teen songs (though the melodies are catchy and memorable). I'm surprised to see no mention of Crackerjack (aka Kill the Pig) which is musically the lowest point of the show (and one of the lowest in staging) quickly followed by It Hurts to Be Strong. Honestly, it was the horrifically misconceived design and direction that pretty much killed the show. It could certainly work and worse shows have fared better. The idea to do Carrie was daring and I can only think of one other Stephen King novel that could be successfully musicalized, but I'd probably get pummeled for mentioning it.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

jczelyph Profile Photo
jczelyph
#34re: Carrie
Posted: 1/25/05 at 12:04pm

Tell us...then, if it's a bad idea, we'll pummel you. Or we may just laugh. Tell us!

"Jane, I've been dealt a blow - I've been dealt a blow, Jane."

DancerGirl16 Profile Photo
DancerGirl16
#35re: Carrie
Posted: 1/25/05 at 12:06pm

Stagedoor Manor did the show not THAT long ago, when they did it they made a tape, I hear that it was supposed to be a great production and I plan to borrow the tape this summer to see it. THey did it because the main director is like a HUGE Carrie fan and he actually watched a tape and wrote the script out by hand. The score was written by ear by the director Philip Shute at the camp. I think the whole callaboration was incredibly interestng.

When someone blunders, we say that he makes a misstep. Is it then not clear that all the ills of mankind, all the tragic misfortunes that fill our history books, all the political blunders, all the failures of the great leaders have arisen merely from a lack of skill in dancing. - Moliere

Mister Matt
#36re: Carrie
Posted: 1/25/05 at 1:10pm

The book I am thinking of is Misery. If it uses the original text (rather than the film), it could make use of both the events of the writer as well as the events of the book he's writing. It's a risky idea, but if carefully constructed and cleverly staged, it could be amazing.

WindyCityActor Profile Photo
WindyCityActor
#37re: Carrie
Posted: 1/25/05 at 2:27pm

Dear Matt,

Actually Pyewacket Theatre here in Chicago did a production of "Misery" which was quite successful.

And if you are really nice...I'll show my playbill for "Carrie" which I found on Ebay for a very pretty penny.

jackson992
#38re: Carrie
Posted: 1/25/05 at 3:52pm

I love the song It Hurts To Be Strong. It gripes me that I haven't been able to locate my Disk 1 of Carrie yet

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#39re: Carrie
Posted: 1/25/05 at 4:36pm

When you locate your Disc 1, which should be a priority to you right now, please add it to your website. Everyone would really appreciate it! Thanks so much. Long live Carrie! I am here at work humming "And Eve Was Weak." I hope the company doesn't have me committed...

Jwaa
#40re: Carrie
Posted: 1/25/05 at 4:52pm

I am loving 'Do Me a Favour' it just rocks!
'Evening Prayer' and 'Eve Was Weak' are my other two favourites!

O i adore these downloads thank you sooo much for the link!

jackson992
#41re: Carrie
Posted: 1/26/05 at 4:27pm

Yes Eve Was Weak is definitely the best song in the show. It is from Disk 1 actually. I believe there are a few tracks from disk one on my site just not all of them. I also love in Act 2 I Remember How Those Boys Could Dance.

FranklinShepard-Inc.
#42re: Carrie
Posted: 1/26/05 at 4:41pm

Well, thanx for the disc 2 tracks already, I enjoyed it so much. Now at last I can tell for myself a little more about the quality of the score of "Carrie" re: Carrie great! And yes, when you find it, put it on your page, I'll be in heaven.

Lwazi
#43re: Carrie
Posted: 1/26/05 at 4:42pm

WithoutATrace,

Well the script of Act 2 of the hit musical 'Carrie' is nowhere to be found but you can ask somebody for help they can sort it out for you to find the script of Act 2. Thanks.

Kicks8567
#44re: Carrie
Posted: 1/27/05 at 4:24pm

If anybody has disc 1 or any video recordings or photos from the show...please pm me. Thanks!

sweeedboy
#45re: Carrie
Posted: 1/27/05 at 4:36pm

I remember how those boys could dance is actually the act 1 finally and is quite amazing. There is a complete score out there(i have it shhh) and its really interesting. I agree the mother daughter songs are truly incredible. I also think the whole heaven octet could be really cool if staged right...and if the destruction was really cool with cast members flying up into the wings and crap being totally destroyed instead of red lasers and a moving pricenium. I would LOVE to see a revival of this show if it were reworked "don't waste teh moon' is just atrocious and i think the original workshop version needs ot be relooked at(it explained Carrie's powers better, wheras the final version just kinda expected everyone knew what was happening). The end also needs to be reworked as the mom just kinda dies and unless you have read the book you dont know what happens.

Mister Matt
#46re: Carrie
Posted: 1/27/05 at 4:41pm

Windy - I directed that same version in Houston. That's what gave me the idea for a musical version.

OutForBlood
#47re: Carrie
Posted: 9/19/05 at 10:23pm

Anyone looking for Carrie items here is what I have:

SCRIPTS:
Workshop Script
London Work Draft Script
Broadway (FULL SHOW official opening night)Script
Stagedoor Manor Script
(I was the 2nd theatre to ever put on an amatuer production after speaking with Todd Graff who was in the Workshop he got us the rights from Michael Gore and Dean Pitchford) I have that script (includes cut scenes from london and workshop and cut musical numbers)

MUSIC
Broadway Sheet Music (includes Somebody Should Have Told Her)
Broadway Audio (closing night...flawless)
Workshop/Backers Audition audio (includes rare rehearsal recordings of Barbara Cook with her infamous rant of "This music is ****!")

VIDEO
Broadway Act 1 video (includes commercial, review reel *8 musical numbers*, German Documentary, Cast member backstage video)
Stratford DVD (includes rehearsal footage)
My production DVD
Stagedoor Manor DVD

Email me at LifeAfterLife819@aol.com if you would like a piece of history.

ALSO HAVE POSTERS (BROADWAY AND LONDON), A BROCHURES (BROADWAY AND LONDON) AND OPENING NIGHT PLAYBILL SIGNED BY THE CAST
----

I played Billy Nolan in our show. Updated On: 9/19/05 at 10:23 PM

rockfenris2005
#48re: Carrie
Posted: 9/20/05 at 2:25am

Any bet there's a catch to this. But hehehe we could do a trade: flop for a flop

Who can explain it, who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, wise men never try -South Pacific

sweeedboy
#49re: Carrie
Posted: 9/20/05 at 2:59am

So, I love Carrie...mostly. I think that if it was staged right it could just be a brilliant piece of theater. The mother daughter stuff, simply cannot be stated enough, is spectacular. Most people immediately pass it off without giving it a listen, but they are just ignorant. The strings, oh the strings! Okay anyway, its interesting if one looks at the full score(shhh i know i'm bad for having it but come on!) some of the lyrics are crossed out and replaced with the lyrics that were in the show. IN a lot of hte cases the original lyrics were a lot better, sometimes not...hehe... I think with a bit of reworking(crackerjack!) this show could be brilliance.

Videos