News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Carrie

rockfenris2005
#50re: Carrie
Posted: 9/20/05 at 4:52am

From what I've heard, I think it's absolutely insane. Like an escaped lunatic. It's hysterical but funny

and also very scary

I wish I could see this someday

Who can explain it, who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, wise men never try -South Pacific

Broadway Bob* Profile Photo
Broadway Bob*
#51re: Carrie
Posted: 9/22/05 at 5:02am

"The book I am thinking of is Misery. If it uses the original text (rather than the film), it could make use of both the events of the writer as well as the events of the book he's writing. It's a risky idea, but if carefully constructed and cleverly staged, it could be amazing."

I have a friend who had written lyrics for Act 1 of what was supposed to be a sung thru musical of MISERY. They had Terrence Mann record a couple of numbers from the show and he and the composer recorded a complete Act 1 demo (my friend - HE was a great Annie Wilkes). It was then that they found out some guy in London had already obtained the stage rights to the property and they had to abandon their show until they could convince him or Stephen King to grant them the permission to continue.

This was back in the '90s. I don't know if they ever got it worked out or not.

<-- Tevye, FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, March 2018

Over the Moon Profile Photo
Over the Moon
#52re: Carrie
Posted: 4/6/06 at 4:40pm

Hey has anyone found the script yet?

Over the Moon
#53re: Carrie
Posted: 4/6/06 at 4:40pm

Hey has anyone found the script yet?

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#54re: Carrie
Posted: 4/6/06 at 4:41pm

Betty Buckley has spent the last ten years hunting down and burning every single copy of the script. The only one remaining is in Lea Salonga's house.

Over the Moon
#55re: Carrie
Posted: 4/6/06 at 4:43pm

ha! wow thats crazy....i want it so bad becuz i am attempting to write the movie version of hte play really breaking it down making it better adapting songs and what not.. its coming along just it stops right before Carrie goes to the prom in the middle of the Carrie (reprise)

BSoBW2
#56re: Carrie
Posted: 4/6/06 at 4:43pm

Liar.

Betty Buckley just the other day sent me a signed copy of the script.
And some message about meeting her in Hyatt...I dunno.

Michael Bennett
#57re: Carrie
Posted: 4/6/06 at 4:45pm

You better look past the first page BSOBW - because Buckley has a habit of promising the script and than sending PRETTYBELLE which she is dying to revive...

Over the Moon
#58re: Carrie
Posted: 4/6/06 at 4:46pm

well anyone know how i can get the script or at least act 2?

BSoBW2
#59re: Carrie
Posted: 4/6/06 at 4:48pm

Ugh! Thanks MB!
It seems she sent me a copy of the Sunset Boulevard script.

OVER THE MOON - for the last time! The script is not published. Only act 1 was copied over by some fans.

Give up.

You want to adapt it into a movie?
1) The rights won't be released for a movie. Ever.
2) How much do you actually KNOW of the show?

mwjr16 Profile Photo
mwjr16
#60re: Carrie
Posted: 4/6/06 at 4:56pm

The carrie mp3 link won't work?!

Over the Moon
#61re: Carrie
Posted: 4/6/06 at 10:04pm

ummm obviously i know much of the show if im even attempting to write the movie script...dont ya think?

Michael Bennett
#62re: Carrie
Posted: 4/6/06 at 10:10pm

In all seriousness, MOON, the writers have denied all inquires to the rights for any new productions: film or otherwise. I hate to say "don't waste your time" to a theatre enthusiast but...

Maybe you can try rewriting the script to MACK AND MABEL.

BSoBW2
#63re: Carrie
Posted: 4/6/06 at 10:26pm

You are better off writing a whole new musical.

Look, I love Carrie like a can of soda and hot pockets (which I JUST ate) but it's like the CONFRONTATION scene from J&H...switching back and forth between two polar styles.

The things that make Carrie what it is today is every aspect. While I enjoy the material, it would not be the same without spandex in a malt shop. Y'know?

And from all the questions you've been asking here, it sounds like you are still learning about Carrie.

I admire your drive to do this, but it will never happen. Gore and Pitchford (or just Gore, maybe) have stated (along with King) that they want the musical to go away.

It's a shame, but that's how it is.

ETA: Besides, there are already two Carrie movies and a sequal...which failed (while I still enjoyed it).

Carrie the Musical Movie just sounds like a bad idea, even if it were made perfect. Some things belong on stage. (And some things don't.)

Updated On: 4/6/06 at 10:26 PM

Over the Moon
#64re: Carrie
Posted: 4/6/06 at 10:28pm

hmmm i guess ur right....

joniray
#65re: Carrie
Posted: 4/6/06 at 11:09pm

Margo, Pitchford was the lyricist. Michael Gore was the composer. I love most of Gore's work on the piece (although some new arrangements/orchestrations would help) but about half of Pitchford's could stand a good rewrite. Wish he'd be up for it because I also think the mother/daughter stuff makes for exciting theatre.

harris007 Profile Photo
harris007
#66re: Carrie
Posted: 4/6/06 at 11:20pm

http://libretto.musicals.ru/text.php?textid=457&language=1

Attend the tale of Bovine Boy His party threads we all enjoy But does he have Mad Cow Disease? He doesn't eat beef - but cows skating? - oh please!!! With cocoa!?! And lemonade!?! The heifer-mad poster of Broadway (World)

BSoBW2
#67re: Carrie
Posted: 4/6/06 at 11:21pm

FYI - it is not complete
AND
That site is technically breaking copyright.
So if we want it to continue, it is best to take down the link.

wonderwaiter Profile Photo
wonderwaiter
#68re: Carrie
Posted: 4/6/06 at 11:34pm

After years of only hearing descriptions and seeing still photographs, I was finally able to see the archive recording of the RSC production. It's one thing to spend years imagining just how awful the choreography and blocking must have been. It's quite another to see that it's even worse than you imagined.

There was definitely a good show in there, but with hard work and determination, they managed to stomp it right out of there.

And no one grew into anything new, we just became the worst of what we were."

joniray
#69re: Carrie
Posted: 4/6/06 at 11:35pm

This brings up an interesting question made muddy by the net. It looks like the site linked is in Russia. Copyright laws in Russia are quite different from those here. Is the site breaking any laws in Russia? Honestly, I don't know, but for the sake of argument, let's say that it isn't. Would it be against copyright laws in the U.S. to simply link to a site in another country that is in compliance with the laws of that country?

BSoBW2
#70re: Carrie
Posted: 4/6/06 at 11:36pm

Yes, it is a Russian site.

But check out the Les Mis librettos or Andrew Lloyd Webber's shows' librettos.

wonderwaiter Profile Photo
wonderwaiter
#71re: Carrie
Posted: 4/6/06 at 11:38pm

Also, whether or not it's a violation of US copyright law, it's still a violation of BWW's guidelines.

And no one grew into anything new, we just became the worst of what we were."

lite2shine Profile Photo
lite2shine
#72re: Carrie
Posted: 4/7/06 at 5:14pm

I found some video clips on yourtube.com. Oh boy they are bad. The prom dance is riduculously awful. Maybe these are clips from an illegal production -- NOT. The final scene "Destruction" is beyond nightmare.

camfatkin_ Profile Photo
camfatkin_
#73re: Carrie
Posted: 4/7/06 at 6:59pm

hahaha i put those clips on youtube.com, they are bad arent they? its so rediculous. and nope those clips arent from an illigal production. it was filmed in during the stratford run, and it was pro shot i believe

BSoBW2
#74re: Carrie
Posted: 4/7/06 at 7:04pm

It was a pro shot - full stage. I don't think it is "legal" in the sense that, well....it can't be distributed.

There's one legal copy of it, owned by Mendelbaum. I am sure he will buried with it.

Videos