News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Carrie

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#0Carrie
Posted: 1/23/05 at 4:45pm

Does anyone know where I can find a script for Act 2 of Carrie. I did a search on google and was able to find the Act 1 script on their unofficial website. Through searching this board, I was also able to find some mp3's of songs. It is not every song, but about half I'd say. I was only 6 when this came out so I did not get to see it. Did anyone on this board see it? Just from hearing the music, it sounds great! The staging must have been god awful. If anyone has any "information" (you know what I mean) about Carrie, please PM me asap. Thanks so much!

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#1re: Carrie
Posted: 1/23/05 at 4:48pm

I LOVE what I've heard of Carrie. Ken Mandelbaum says a lot of interesting things about the production in his "Not Since Carrie: 40 Years of Broadway Musical Flops".

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#2re: Carrie
Posted: 1/23/05 at 4:49pm

WithoutaTrace, could you please post the site where you found the mp3s?

WithoutATrace
#3re: Carrie
Posted: 1/23/05 at 4:51pm

I do plan on ordering Ken's book from amazon.com
Carrie Link Updated On: 1/23/05 at 04:51 PM

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#4re: Carrie
Posted: 1/23/05 at 4:56pm

Thanks so much!!!!!!

WithoutATrace
#5re: Carrie
Posted: 1/23/05 at 4:57pm

Funny how I am looking for help with Carrie and I end up giving help! Glad you're pleased! Enjoy.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#7re: Carrie
Posted: 1/23/05 at 5:08pm

Haha... yeah, sorry! I hope you find what you're looking for re: Carrie

CATSNYrevival
#8re: Carrie
Posted: 1/23/05 at 5:09pm

if you haven't heard "I'm Not Alone" you haven't lived... re: Carrie

WithoutATrace
#9re: Carrie
Posted: 1/23/05 at 6:10pm

well i obviously would love to hear it. can anyone help me out? i would really appreciate it! PM me. Thanks!

WithoutATrace
#10re: Carrie
Posted: 1/23/05 at 6:12pm

i would love to know what Margo (bww's living legend) thought about Carrie...b/c I'm sure she saw it!

Jwaa
#11re: Carrie
Posted: 1/23/05 at 7:34pm

Thank you soooo much!
Carrie is my favourite book, and i have always wanted to hear the musical....

I am loving this soundtrack...where did it go wrong to become such a infamous musical!?

VeuveClicquot Profile Photo
VeuveClicquot
#12re: Carrie
Posted: 1/23/05 at 7:42pm

In addition to the bootleg recordings that exist of CARRIE, there are a number of songs that were legitimately recorded from the score.

Betty Buckley sings "When There's No One" on one of her CDs.

Alice Ripley and Emily Skinner do "Unsuspecting Hearts" on their CD (which is helpfully titled "Unsuspecting Hearts").

And last but not least, Linzi Hately does the full 8 minute title number with its original RSC orchestrations on her "Sooner or Later" CD.

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#13re: Carrie
Posted: 1/23/05 at 7:47pm

I love the Ripley- Skinner recording of Unsuspecting Hearts, and I was aware of the two others but hadn't heard them..
However, I could never find the mp3s online, until today!
*currently listening!!!*

Derek
#14re: Carrie
Posted: 1/23/05 at 7:56pm

does anyone have any photos or reviews of the original show? its such a colt classic and to tell you the truth, the score is pretty good. i wonder if maybe the direction? the book? i wonder if it was reworked and staged for a limited engagement how it would do. im sure everyone would go see it now

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#15re: Carrie
Posted: 1/23/05 at 8:03pm

Any idea where one can find the Linzi Hatel(e)y CD? It's not on amazon... or her website... or footlight... hmmm

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#16re: Carrie
Posted: 1/23/05 at 8:08pm

of interest to "CARRIE" fans. the Special Edition DVD of Brian DePalma's 1976 movie version has a "Carrie: The Musical" featurette.

VeuveClicquot Profile Photo
VeuveClicquot
#17re: Carrie
Posted: 1/23/05 at 8:36pm

I love CARRIE so much. I was at the first preview. Along with my friend D.O., I actually camped out for tickets for CARRIE on the night before the box office opened. We were the only two people there until 8:00 a.m., when Marcus Allen Cooper showed up. (Marcus ended up years later in the original London cast of PERSONALS. He's on the cast album.). I ended up seeing the show six times in three weeks, but that first preview will always be one of my favorite theatrical experiences.

The moment when the houselights SLAMMED the theatre into darkness, perfectly timed with a scary downbeat in the overture, was thrilling. Then, those girls (led by Charlotte D'Amboise) ran onto the stage in the most bizarre outfits you can imagine, doing this goofy Debbie Allen choreography, singing about what it was like being in high school (as if they could remember -- they were all ancient!) The number, "In," ended in this huge cheerleader pyramid that reached to the very top of the proscenium, with D'Amboise in the center, hanging off of gymnastic rings (everyone was foot to shoulder underneath her). It was a terrible song, set in an inappropriate white box of a set (what planet was that high school supposed to be on?), with old dancers pretending to be high school students, and yet... it was amazingly satisfying.

Once Buckley arrived on the stage, the show became something different entirely, nearly a grand guignol opera, and those moments were not campy-good, they were honestly incredible.

The show was a roller coaster ride. Linzi Hately had such a horrible American accent, when she ran out of the shower in the second scene, screaming "I'm bleeding, I'm bleeding," it came out as "I'm bleating! I'm bleating!" But occasionally, she would be sensational (like during the title song, or in "Eve Was Weak").

And then the camp would continue. Like the drive-in scene, where this metal car set rolled onto the stage in two pieces, from both sides of the stage. (It got stuck four out of the six times I saw the show, and the stagehands had to come out and push it into place.)

During the prom scene, there was one fabulous theatrical touch. A giant (like five feet in diameter) disco ball sat ON the stage, at an angle, with a pinspot on it so it threw huge lights out all over the audience. (It sounds cheesy, but trust me, it was really effective.) Then, during the destruction, this solid see-through curtain slammed down, trapping everyone onstage. The antics that the chorus did while pretending to be dying had to be seen to be believed -- they were writhing around, doing a slo-mo combo of Debbie Allen choreography and Juliet's death scene. Then the infamous white staircase descended. (I don't know how to explain it, but the whole roof of the theatre, with all of the lights and everything, tilted down, smashing the writhing prom goers, and became this huge white staircase that sort of looked like bleachers because it had a weird hand rail in the middle of it).

Oh, CARRIE. There's never been a musical like her.

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#18re: Carrie
Posted: 1/23/05 at 8:44pm

i've heard some songs from the show and they're not bad at all.
"when there's no one", "eve was weak" and "i am not alone" are good songs. from what i can gather of what i've read about this show evryone seemed to agree that debbie allen was the worng choice to do the choreography.

isn't linzi hately in "mary poppins" now playing "mrs. banks"?

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#19re: Carrie
Posted: 1/23/05 at 8:44pm

That sounds incredible beyond belief.
Veuve, you are SO SO SO SO SO lucky.

WithoutATrace
#20re: Carrie
Posted: 1/23/05 at 11:57pm

And eve was weak is incredible. This show really really needs to be revived...off broadway maybe??

CATSNYrevival
#21re: Carrie
Posted: 1/23/05 at 11:59pm

"And Eve Was Weak" is AWESOME!!!!!

HE WILL BURN YOU!!! HE WILL BURN YOU!!! Updated On: 1/23/05 at 11:59 PM

MargoChanning
#22re: Carrie
Posted: 1/24/05 at 12:12am

One of the most bizarrely schizophrenic shows ever, it's as if there were two completely different creative teams in charge -- one talented one that did the dark and surprisingly effective scenes in the home with Carrie and her mother and an incompetent one (led by Debbie Allen) who contrived some of the most misguided, wrong-headed, laugh-out-loud campily awful scenes for the kids in the high school. The gym class number, the drve-in scene and the prom sequence were so appalling bad, they were good..... or at least extremely entertaining.

Honestly, with a first rate director and choreographer and design team (just WHAT were those sets and costumes about in the original????) Carrie could have been a very good show. Dean Pitchford (the composer) was so totally humiliated by the experience that he has steadfastly refused to allow any revival or license the show even regionally (he probably still gets nightmares about it). Perhaps one day, he'll relent and let someone try it again. It could make for a very interesting show someday, maybe off-Broadway (or perhaps a concert version -- much of the score is pretty decent).

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

WithoutATrace
#23re: Carrie
Posted: 1/24/05 at 10:08am

Margo. Thanks you. I was thinking the same thing actually. The songs between Carrie and Margaret are excellent. The other songs with the high school kids are god awful. I really wish I could have seen this.

Again, anyone with a full recording of Carrie, please PM me as soon as possible.

Margo: What is your opinion on shows that last less than a week. (ie: carrie, prymate, bring back birdie) Do you think that this is not going to happen that much in the future. I feel like Dracula should have closed in a week. Maybe the trend now is to keep these flops open for a month or more? Maybe we should start a new topic on this.

Thanks again!

Mimi Imfurst
#24re: Carrie
Posted: 1/24/05 at 11:38am

I suspect we're going to see a CARRIE return soon.

NYC's Most Retarded Drag Queen The Mimi Show: hosted by Mimi Imfurst features Broadway stars Tuesdays @ 10:30pm Weekly! June 13th: Hairspray's Michelle Dowdy, June 20th: Aida's Lori Ann Strunk, June 27th: Composer Katie Thompson No Cover- No Drink Minimum OW BAR: 221 E 58th Street (between 2nd and 3rd) www.owbar.com

Videos