News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Good Vibrations says farewell 4/24- Page 3

Good Vibrations says farewell 4/24

Feathah Profile Photo
Feathah
#50re: Good Vibrations says farewell 4/24
Posted: 4/19/05 at 11:04pm

I feel so bad for the cast. Aren't there many making their Bway debut with this show?

"The theater is my life. I live it. I breathe it. I fondle it till it falls asleep." Jack (Will And Grace) http://feathah.blogspot.com

RentBoy86
#51re: Good Vibrations says farewell 4/24
Posted: 4/19/05 at 11:20pm

does GV have a show curtain? just wondering. what's it look like? think they'd tour this show?

IMsooHyprToday Profile Photo
IMsooHyprToday
#52re: Good Vibrations says farewell 4/24
Posted: 4/19/05 at 11:37pm

Sea World San Diego might need a new show for this summer....

Broadway Matt Profile Photo
Broadway Matt
#53re: Good Vibrations says farewell 4/24
Posted: 4/19/05 at 11:44pm

wait, why? Are Shamu II and family OK?

"The last train out of any station will not be full of nice guys." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"I wash my face, then drink beer, then I weep. Say a prayer and induce insincere self-abuse, till I'm fast asleep"- In Trousers

bryan
#54re: Good Vibrations says farewell 4/24
Posted: 4/20/05 at 5:42pm

god why do people have to be so mean. and this show has to have a cast ablum before in fade into the sunset.

keggss23 Profile Photo
keggss23
#55re: Good Vibrations says farewell 4/24
Posted: 4/20/05 at 5:48pm

"Sea World San Diego might need a new show for this summer.... "

Sea World always has auditions posted in the paper for "entertainment". Not a bad idea!

"When you're a Jet, / You're a Jet all the way, / From your first pirouette / To your last grand jete." --Brian Kaman

VivaLsVgs
#56re: Good Vibrations says farewell 4/24
Posted: 4/20/05 at 6:15pm

Can someone please give me a synopsis of the 2nd act who saw the show ? I went to the city today to catch Good Vibrations because I heard it was closing and had to leave after the first act because of a family emergency. I actually liked the 1st act, the cast was talented, the tunes were familiar and it was fun. Not earth shattering theatre but not nearly as bad as expected after reading some of the posts on this board. Thanks for the info.

AlienOnBroadway
#57re: Good Vibrations says farewell 4/24
Posted: 4/20/05 at 10:36pm

Sure VivaLsVgs. This is from my head. I don't have my Playbill with me right now. But this will kind of give you an idea, even if I didn't include all the songs.

And not that it matters, this is a spoiler alert. I figure everyone who cares has already seen it, but just in case... don't read it if you don't want to know.

Act 2 starts with Jan and Dean singing Cali Girls, which really has nothing to do with the plot but one of my personal faves because...of the wetsuits.
Anyway, Caroline basically spends a while blossoming, going out with Jan (Darlin) then turning him down for a 2nd date, while Bobby looks on longingly at her and tries to thwart the surfer guys from dating her too. (Surfer Girl) Meanwhile Rhonda has tracked poor Eddie down and attemps to help him "get over Marcella" (Help Me Rhonda) but to no avail. Marcella pops into Eddie's head at every turn, so Rhonda eventually ditches Eddie on the bumper cars. (All Summer Long)
Caroline hides her true feelings for Bobby (My Imagination) while Bobby finds HIS true feelings for her (Caroline No.)

Poor Eddie is still missing Marcella so he travels to his nearest Giggles to find Marcella working there!! She, apparently, had dreams of seeing Cali too, so she figured she'd work her way through Giggles. And 'she knew he'd show up there eventunally.'

And Dave. Well Dave has a problem. And he goes to Caroline for help with his problem. The problem? He can't swim! He's just been carrying the surfboard for looks this whole time. So Caroline teaches him to swim, in secret of course. They are talking about how it would be bad for 'Bobby to find out' 'cuz he wouldn't understand. And who do you think shows up? BOBBY, of course. He thinks Dave has made a play for Caroline. But Dave tells him he just doesn't understand.

Eddie and Marcella decide to get married, so they have a beach party send off. (In the best number in the show without question Sail On Sailor) The gang says goodbye to summer and honors Eddie and Marcella (Sloop John B done really really well by Sebastian) They go their seperate ways, much to Bobby's dismay. Apparently he didn't realize one should make plans for after the summer. Caroline is attending Brown in the fall, but Jan (glancing over his shoulder at Dave) decides to 'catch some major waves at Zuma!' Thinking Dave and Caroline want to be alone, Bobby offers to go make sure Jan doesn't kill himself, but Dave quickly volunteers to go instead. They disagree for a minute and Dave tells Bobby, he just doesn't get it. Bobby tries to tell Caroline that he wanted to do the right thing and go with Jan. He mentions that Dave had said he was 'in love for the first time in his life.' But Caroline confesses that she knows Dave isn't in love with her. So Bobby poses the $64,000 question: Then with who?

...Dave and JAN come frollicking across the stage together...

Nope. Nobody else saw it coming either.

But anyway, they part ways (Good Vibrations) and Caroline tells Bobby to call her when he gets life figured out.

The show ends on the subway in NY , five years later, with Caroline jumping to catch a train to find Bobby there. They talk for one stop or 2 and then she disappears after having told him she 'lives in the village.' Eventually Bobby tracks her down and they kiss and hug and sing (God Only Knows). Eddie and Marcella join in. So do Dave and Jan.

Then there is the mega mix finale that involves beach balls and reprises of some of the songs.
I really like the 2nd Act more than the first. I am sorry you had to miss it. The show is fluff, but it's fun. The cast is great and I really think lots of them are going to go on to bigger and better things.

VivaLsVgs
#58re: Good Vibrations says farewell 4/24
Posted: 4/21/05 at 6:36am

Thanks for the great recap, I am so sorry I had to miss it. I might try to run in to the city tonight again so I can see the whole show.

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#59re: Good Vibrations says farewell 4/24
Posted: 4/21/05 at 8:18am

Wife and I saw the show twice, enjoyed it, it was fun. "God Only Knows" was played at our wedding....

Took home a beach ball. I wish the cast the best in their future endeavors - they do have talent!

EddieVarley Profile Photo
EddieVarley
#60re: Good Vibrations says farewell 4/24
Posted: 4/21/05 at 8:33am

I'm happy to say I enjoyed it, the cast is quite wonderful, my best to them all!

Videos