News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Jersey Boys 8/9 Matinee review

SCBWannabe Profile Photo
SCBWannabe
#0Jersey Boys 8/9 Matinee review
Posted: 8/9/06 at 7:29pm

So I got into the city and up to the theater by 6:30 today and was first in line! Woo-hoo A5&7. The show was great. I was excited to see Michael's take on Frankie, because I had previously seen both John & Dominic (twice each). Michael was awesome! He did a great job. I am glad I was finally able to see him as Frankie. Was definitely worth my sick day from work! This has to be the crappiest review ever!

Did the stage door thing and got pics with a bunch of the cast. Will post them in my fan photos section later. I have a question for you guys....do you think this is rude....People were telling Michael how disappointed they were when they saw John Lloyd Young's name on the board as being out, but he completely won them over. He said he hears that often. Isn't that a somewhat backhanded compliment? We all know how much I love JLY and I understand people's initial disappointment, but shouldn't that really be kept to yourself? Michael shouldn't have to have that added pressure of worrying about what others perceptions are of him...especially since he was so good. He actually had me tearing up during Fallen Angel. So, Michael (or any of his friends) if you are reading this....you made that role your own up there and if you give 10% of what you gave today, you will have the audience eating out of the palm of your hands.

Updated On: 8/9/06 at 07:29 PM

JamesMacon Profile Photo
JamesMacon
#1re: Jersey Boys 8/9 Matinee review
Posted: 8/9/06 at 7:54pm

I think that he knows that many people will be somewhat dissapointed when they see that JLY will not be in the performance. But when audience members say "yes, we may have been dissapointed but you were awesome!", I think that that can be okay. I think that this is common routine for understudies. I mean people see understudies, are dissapointed they did not see the main person, and hated the understudy. So to have someone say that you surprised them with your performance really, when it comes down to it, is a nice compliment.

mikem Profile Photo
mikem
#2re: Jersey Boys 8/9 Matinee review
Posted: 8/9/06 at 7:57pm

I don't think it's rude or a backhanded compliment at all. JLY's a Tony winner with a lot of critical acclaim, and the average theatergoer has never heard of Michael, so it's pretty understandable that some people will be initially disappointed. It's not like people are saying that they knew Michael's work beforehand and were hoping to avoid seeing him.

Also, you might want to consider spoiler tagging the end of your post, since you tell what happens to one of the characters towards the end.

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"

SCBWannabe Profile Photo
SCBWannabe
#3re: Jersey Boys 8/9 Matinee review
Posted: 8/9/06 at 8:01pm

Edited it MikeM....thanks

popular_elphie Profile Photo
popular_elphie
#4re: Jersey Boys 8/9 Matinee review
Posted: 8/9/06 at 9:51pm

Glad to hear the show was great! A5&7 are my fave seats.

I don't really think it's a backhanded compliment - I mean, people aren't going to say, "I was so excited when I saw your name up there, Michael!" because most of these people have never seen the show before, and would like to see it with the lead Tony winner their first time.

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#5re: Jersey Boys 8/9 Matinee review
Posted: 8/9/06 at 10:45pm

I agree with mikem.

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher

Lori2 Profile Photo
Lori2
#6re: Jersey Boys 8/9 Matinee review
Posted: 8/10/06 at 1:13pm

I'm glad you had a good time SCBWannabe re: Jersey Boys 8/9 Matinee review thats horrible that people said they were disappointed not seeing JLY up there. How could they say that to him, that is just rude re: Jersey Boys 8/9 Matinee review I'm sure Michael would understand, I want to see him play Frankie now lol! But yes I want to see JLY before he leaves, even thought I met him already I still need a picture with him lol!

http://www.myspace.com/jrobertspencer
Can you keep the cup from tipping Can you keep the grip from slipping In despair, for just another day ~Next To Normal

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#7re: Jersey Boys 8/9 Matinee review
Posted: 8/10/06 at 1:18pm

The night I saw the show must have been a nice change for Michael Longoria...when I saw him at the stage door I told him that I knew he was going to be on that night and specifically came to the show to see him as Frankie Valli. He was so grateful and appreciative...and he was an excellent Frankie Valli!

bwaylvsong
#8re: Jersey Boys 8/9 Matinee review
Posted: 8/10/06 at 1:19pm

I do not find that rude at all. In fact, that is a MUCH bigger compliment IMO than simply saying he was great.

worrell4077
#9re: Jersey Boys 8/9 Matinee review
Posted: 8/10/06 at 3:10pm

I'm going in a couple of weeks and even though I'm hoping that everyone is in that day, I really wouldn't mind seeing Michael as Frankie Valli.

SCBWannabe, What time would you say that the rush line got filled?

SCBWannabe Profile Photo
SCBWannabe
#10re: Jersey Boys 8/9 Matinee review
Posted: 8/10/06 at 3:42pm

I would say the line was filled by @ 7:45. That is a guess. In a few weeks, colleges will be back in session, so the wait times may reduce. Good luck!

jpwintergreen Profile Photo
jpwintergreen
#11re: Jersey Boys 8/9 Matinee review
Posted: 8/10/06 at 5:38pm

I am glad to hear that the show is still going well even with all the cast changes and stupid rumors.

What time does the box office open? 10am? How many seats are available each day? Are there always seats?

Thanks for the help.
Updated On: 8/10/06 at 05:38 PM

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#12re: Jersey Boys 8/9 Matinee review
Posted: 8/10/06 at 6:01pm

So, on a Wenesday, the line fills up by 7:45? What time do they start selling the tickets?

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

popular_elphie
#13re: Jersey Boys 8/9 Matinee review
Posted: 8/10/06 at 7:23pm

They sell them at 11 on Wednesdays.

SCBWannabe Profile Photo
SCBWannabe
#14re: Jersey Boys 8/9 Matinee review
Posted: 8/10/06 at 7:24pm

I don't know about every Wednesday, but that is how it was yesterday. They sell tickets at 11:00.

jpwintergreen Profile Photo
jpwintergreen
#15re: Jersey Boys 8/9 Matinee review
Posted: 8/10/06 at 8:32pm

Thank you. How many times have you seen it? 5?

kenmarksnj Profile Photo
kenmarksnj
#16re: Jersey Boys 8/9 Matinee review
Posted: 8/10/06 at 8:55pm

i'm not really sure how many times i've seen jersey boys. probably about 10 or 11.

i love michael longoria as frankie valli. that's all i'm sayin'

SCBWannabe Profile Photo
SCBWannabe
#17re: Jersey Boys 8/9 Matinee review
Posted: 8/10/06 at 9:00pm

Yeah I have seen the show five times, but I didn't student rush each time. I saw John Lloyd Young twice, Dominic Nolfi twice and Michael Longoria once.

jerseyboyslover Profile Photo
jerseyboyslover
#18re: Jersey Boys 8/9 Matinee review
Posted: 8/10/06 at 9:10pm

Thanks for the review SCBWannabe!

Ok this is a little of topic but John was back in the show to night.

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

smashingasian
#19re: Jersey Boys 8/9 Matinee review
Posted: 8/10/06 at 9:55pm

I thought Michael was fantastic!

That's great to hear jerseyboyslover! Glad to know John is feeling better. Wait, is this for the 8/9 evening show or today's evening?

jerseyboyslover
#20re: Jersey Boys 8/9 Matinee review
Posted: 8/10/06 at 9:59pm

The reivew was for the 9th.

John was back in the show tonight.

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

TennesseeTwang
#21re: Jersey Boys 8/9 Matinee review
Posted: 8/10/06 at 10:12pm

I'm surprised he's back so soon. You'd think he'd need more recovery time.

So how'd he do?

smashingasian
#22re: Jersey Boys 8/9 Matinee review
Posted: 8/10/06 at 10:48pm

Took the words right out of my mouth Tennessee. I thought he'd be out until at least Saturday.

Anyone see the show tonight?

jerseyboyslover
#23re: Jersey Boys 8/9 Matinee review
Posted: 8/11/06 at 12:17am

So how'd he do?

I was not there, a little bird told me that he was going to be there, I cant say who.

popular_elphie
#24re: Jersey Boys 8/9 Matinee review
Posted: 8/11/06 at 12:20am

I thought John was going to take off the whole week! Nice to hear that he's back, Kathryn :).

Videos