News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Most Influential Musicals of the 90's and the new millenium- Page 2

Most Influential Musicals of the 90's and the new millenium

rayoflight104 Profile Photo
rayoflight104
#25re: Most Influential Musicals of the 90's and the new millenium
Posted: 11/4/04 at 5:56pm

You could mention Victor Victoria...It was transferred to stage from the movie back in 1982.. It was Julie's return to Broadway after over 30 years... Very remarkable score by Henri Mancini...(I believe its considered his last)... A favorite show of mine...

There's also Ragtime and Urinetown...

Type_A_Tiff Profile Photo
Type_A_Tiff
#26re: Most Influential Musicals of the 90's and the new millenium
Posted: 11/4/04 at 5:57pm

Are we talking about the 1980s now? (Not a snark, I just was wondering if that was part of the topic.)

"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"Good luck returning my ass!" - Wilhemina Slater

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
Westopher
#28re: Most Influential Musicals of the 90's and the new millenium
Posted: 11/4/04 at 7:20pm

Urinetown is pretty amazing in the sense that what, some college students penned it?

Type_A_Tiff
#29re: Most Influential Musicals of the 90's and the new millenium
Posted: 11/4/04 at 7:21pm

I don't think Urinetown has been that influential, imho.

"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell

adamized88 Profile Photo
adamized88
#30re: Most Influential Musicals of the 90's and the new millenium
Posted: 11/4/04 at 10:46pm

the entering of well known rock composers to broadway trying to find new legitamacy has definitely been a big thing

"Nothing is an accident, We are free to have it all, We are what we want to be, It's in ourselves to rise or fall!!" - "Fortune Favors the Brave" from Aida - the love that never died

Westopher
#31re: Most Influential Musicals of the 90's and the new millenium
Posted: 11/4/04 at 10:47pm

Good call adam, Tommy, Aida, Moving Out, pretty strong list.

adamized88 Profile Photo
adamized88
#32re: Most Influential Musicals of the 90's and the new millenium
Posted: 11/4/04 at 11:05pm

don't know if this was mentioned before but also turning movies into musicals (ex hairspray and producers) or bringing movie musicals to the broadway stage (ex lion king - if you count it as one)

"Nothing is an accident, We are free to have it all, We are what we want to be, It's in ourselves to rise or fall!!" - "Fortune Favors the Brave" from Aida - the love that never died

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#33re: Most Influential Musicals of the 90's and the new millenium
Posted: 11/4/04 at 11:07pm

Rent
Chicago(Revival)
Avenue Q
Wicked

just too name a few.

Link Larkin Wanabe Profile Photo
Link Larkin Wanabe
#34re: Most Influential Musicals of the 90's and the new millenium
Posted: 11/5/04 at 1:18pm

Thanks guys...I thionk I am going to focus on trends mostly, but highlight certain shows taht I feel were quite important, for sure RENT and Lion King.

Now a slightly different question...what trends have you seen develop in Musical Theatre since the 90's?

Akiva

Type_A_Tiff
#35re: Most Influential Musicals of the 90's and the new millenium
Posted: 11/5/04 at 1:24pm

The advent of psychotic WickedElphieDeeDeeChenoinmyheartxoxo3 and the like that infiltrate the theatres and the message boards and talk about Idina's lipstick and Cheno's lopsided boobs and give a bad name to legitimate Broadway fans...as well as the human race, for that matter.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

In all seriousness...do you mean trends in Broadway as an art, or trends in the commercialization of Broadway?

Link Larkin Wanabe Profile Photo
Link Larkin Wanabe
#36re: Most Influential Musicals of the 90's and the new millenium
Posted: 11/5/04 at 1:27pm

I mean

The movies into musicals trend...the "mamma-mia, we will rock you, all shook up, good vibrations, movin' out" band song catalouge trend...stuff like that

Akiva

Type_A_Tiff
#37re: Most Influential Musicals of the 90's and the new millenium
Posted: 11/5/04 at 1:31pm

oh okay...well the movies into musicals trend is only going to be growing with the shrek movie and whatnot coming out...

...just thinking out loud here...maybe musicals--> movies to appeal to an older audience, and movies--> musicals to draw in a substantially younger audience? (ie. Rent, and Shrek, respectively)

Videos