News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion- Page 48

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#1175SMASH
Posted: 3/27/13 at 5:08pm

Congratulation!

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#1176SMASH
Posted: 3/27/13 at 5:23pm

Oh, honey. All this wondering fluffery about SMASH getting a third season is just one of the more embarrassing demonstrations of Kubler-Ross, musical nerd-style.

And I can't blame Jordan for the performances he gives in SMASH. He's doing what he can, but this character is a vortex. Ryan Gosling couldn't make Jimmy appealing.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#1177SMASH
Posted: 3/27/13 at 5:28pm

Not all snark: AV Club gives it a B.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#1178SMASH
Posted: 3/27/13 at 6:02pm

But Phyllis, all I gathered from your post is that SMASH is most likely getting renewed! Yes! #SaturdayIsTheNewPrimeTime

Ditto. It's hilarious how some people still think Smash will get a third season.

NBC's moving Smash to the saturday night death slot. The show's dead. Be glad they're airing the remaining episodes.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible

beautywickedlover
#1179SMASH
Posted: 3/27/13 at 6:08pm

"NBC's moving Smash to the saturday night death slot. The show's dead. Be glad they're airing the remaining episodes."

That is all that mattered to me when the ratings drop began to happen. It's just better to wrap things up this season. It was great that NBC tried this idea out, but the program was just not meant to be a long-running show.

"Ditto. It's hilarious how some people still think Smash will get a third season."

I remember TV by the Numbers saying this last week: "To pre-emptively answer those who'll howl that Smash has not been canceled, shows that are moved to Saturday in the middle of their run are canceled. To argue otherwise makes you look silly. Or worse."

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/03/19/nbc-grimm-is-certain-to-be-renewed-why-do-fans-want-it-moved-from-friday/173654/

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#1180SMASH
Posted: 3/27/13 at 6:15pm

Norma Jean's gone. She's moving on.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#1181SMASH
Posted: 3/27/13 at 6:15pm

James and Beautywickedlover, so you're saying it got renewed? Awesome! Can't wait to see what happens next season.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#1182SMASH
Posted: 3/27/13 at 6:18pm

They better put it on after The Voice!

ray-andallthatjazz86
#1183SMASH
Posted: 3/27/13 at 6:21pm

Yes! THE VOICE/SMASH on Saturdays next season, I'll definitely stay home and watch! #LoveTo420WhileSmashingOnSaturdays

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#1184SMASH
Posted: 3/27/13 at 6:22pm

Not only is it renewed, it's been moved to Thursday night at 8! Smash is now Must See TV!

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible

WickedOne2 Profile Photo
WickedOne2
#1185SMASH
Posted: 3/27/13 at 7:47pm

http://www.eonline.com/news/402125/debra-messing-talks-smash-cancellation-rumors-there-s-no-tension-on-set
I find it hard to believe Debra Messing hasn't heard the cancellation rumors

"I wish the stage were as narrow as the wire of a tightrope dancer, so that no incompetent would dare step upon it." Goethe

ray-andallthatjazz86
#1186SMASH
Posted: 3/27/13 at 7:49pm

I bet you the stars of say GREY'S ANATOMY, THE GOOD WIFE or pretty much any show that will definitely not be cancelled didn't do a pilot. Love the Messing to death but girl is lying through her teeth, she's a great actress!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#1187SMASH
Posted: 3/27/13 at 8:00pm

^You can't prove it by Smash!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

FindingNamo
#1188SMASH
Posted: 3/27/13 at 8:31pm

Soooooooo sick of this Saturday Night Deathslot beeswax.

Two words: Fantasy Island. Ever hear of it? Yes you have.

How about a little lady called The Carol Brunette Show?

Mannix? Misison: Impossible? Night Gallery?

Love Boat?

That's right, they all did well in this so called Deathslot. Time to give you Dr. Kevorkian's a one-way ticket to Not the Deathslot.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

dramamama611
#1189SMASH
Posted: 3/27/13 at 8:44pm

Who is this Carol Brunette you speak of?

Sure, previous to the 90s, many shows did well on Saturday nights...but what is the last hit that ran on 8-11 time slot on Sat night?

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

FindingNamo
#1190SMASH
Posted: 3/27/13 at 8:51pm

Allow me to heave a dramatic sigh before I begin a list:

Walker, Texas Ranger.

Twin Peaks.

48 Hours.

Hunter

Profiler.

Sisters.

The Commish.

And those are all just 10pm. Smash will be on at 9.

Updated On: 3/27/13 at 08:51 PM

dramamama611
#1191SMASH
Posted: 3/27/13 at 8:55pm

While I know the titles of those shows, I don't I ever knew any of them (sans Twin Peaks) was a big hit. I never would have thought they were anywhere in the same league as your previous post. (I'm not saying they WEREN'T, just that I have no knowledge of it -- which I guess is why MY mind didn't think of any of them.)

FindingNamo
#1192SMASH
Posted: 3/27/13 at 8:59pm

I'm just pointing out that, received wisdom to the contrary, there is a long and varied history of shows that ran for a good number of seasons on Saturday nights.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#1193SMASH
Posted: 3/27/13 at 9:11pm

But that was before Saturday was considered the death slot. That's when networks scheduled new shows for a Saturday slot and didn't show procedural reruns and shows they were burning off there.

FindingNamo
#1194SMASH
Posted: 3/27/13 at 10:19pm

Right. But these are new Smashes. Voila.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#1195SMASH
Posted: 3/27/13 at 10:40pm

Goodbye, Norma Jean, though I rarely watched you at all,
You had the grace to hold yourself, while all the ratings fall,
They fell each week like clockwork, yes, that's a mixed metaphor
(I stole that one from "Hit List," 'cause it's the best line in the score)
And it seems to me that this whole show was a candle in the wind,
That the wind completely blew out, soon as it was lit,
I would have liked to see more, but this year was schit,
Your candle blew, but luckily, the score to "Bombshell" rarely did.
Updated On: 3/27/13 at 10:40 PM

FindingNamo
#1196SMASH
Posted: 3/27/13 at 11:12pm

The tense disagreements really confused me. Maybe have Julia take another pass at it.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#1197SMASH
Posted: 3/27/13 at 11:15pm

I tried, I gave her the lyric and said it needs work, but apparently there's a new male character on the show and she needs to do belligerent sexual tension with him.

fingerlakessinger Profile Photo
fingerlakessinger
#1198SMASH
Posted: 3/27/13 at 11:41pm

Anyone else think the "love to hate her" line was a reference to Ms. Rachel Berry?

"Life in theater is give and take...but you need to be ready to give more then you take..."

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#1199SMASH
Posted: 3/28/13 at 9:09am

That episode was pretty boring. Next week looks unbearable with all of Jimmy's drug habit nonsense.

Don't even get me started on Krysta who I HATED in Spring Awakening, In the Heights and Addams Family. Although Beyoncé is obviously a diva, I would never have chosen that weird version of "If I Were a Boy" to prove that characterization. Derek would never conceivably see that performance and just hand the part over to her. I, like many others, don't even understand what that role in the show even is. Does Karen's character transform into the diva once she steals all of Jimmy's songs?

I sort of get why Jimmy thinks HIT LIST is his show (because it apparently has NO book scenes) but let Derek do his flippin job. I don't think you've won any Tonys so maybe shut up about whatever your problem is. Also the problem with the HIT LIST songs is that they're written by so many people and it shows. None of the songs sound like they are from the same (or any) show. It's more like a jukebox musical of fairly generic pop songs that never were.

Leslie Odom Jr had no purpose in the episode and the "I'll just quit the BOM tour...just kidding" stuff was beyond ridiculous. And since someone mentioned it, no I will not contribute to your Kickstarter because that is basically a crutch for everyone to use nowadays and it's getting out of hand. But that's a rant for a totally separate occasion.

Also I get what everyone is saying about the Tonys being split between HIT LIST and BOMBSHELL but what kind of miracle is going to happen that gets HIT LIST on Broadway so quickly.

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

Videos