News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion- Page 49

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion

DEClarke Profile Photo
DEClarke
#1200SMASH
Posted: 3/28/13 at 10:10am

There's still hope:

PC: Are you considering a stage role this summer now that SMASH has wrapped for Season Two?

MH: Well, I'm still not sure what's happening with SMASH, so I can't really make any plans yet - I would love to, though.
----------------------------------------------------------------

PC: Will you be doing some concerts in support of IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME over the summer - maybe a mini concert tour?

MH: Well, I can't actually make any plans like that since I am under contract to SMASH right now, so we will see what happens. I do have a bunch of symphony dates, but those don't have a lot to do with the album or anything, of course. I would love to go out and do some concerts. I am doing Joe's Pub as an album release thing on April 23 - I have two little shows there on the same night. But, that's it for now - hopefully I'll get to plan something else later.
----------------------------------------------------------------

It's not dead in the water... yet...
Read more about InDepth InterView Exclusive: Megan Hilty Talks IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME Album, Plus SMASH, WICKED, LEGENDS OF OZ: DOROTHY'S RETURN & More

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#1202SMASH
Posted: 3/28/13 at 10:16am

SMASH

Abby Lee Miller has a few words about season 3 of SMASH.

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#1203SMASH
Posted: 3/28/13 at 10:21am

Yes! There's still hope for a new season! Thank you Debra and Megan, I'm so excited.

Clyde, I couldn't agree more about the "If I Were a Boy" scene, it was so silly and I feel like its such a ridiculous idea that out of that performance (which was just okay, nothing against Rodriguez, it was just a terrible concept for a number, from the song to the way it was shot to the fact that she sang it at a random bar) she'd all of the sudden get cast in this role. Also, remember when SMASH was supposed to be the adult answer to all the GLEE nonsense? Yeah, that scene was something that even the GLEE writers would discard in the drafting stages.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#1204SMASH
Posted: 3/28/13 at 10:24am

#threeseasonsandaChristmasspecial

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#1205SMASH
Posted: 3/28/13 at 10:29am

Why so much negativity here? Didn't you all read those ratings. Hell, SMASH even beat out "Here Comes Peter Cottontail"!

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#1206SMASH
Posted: 3/28/13 at 10:29am

Ha Wynbish! I wish just going type six seasons and a movie!

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

ray-andallthatjazz86
#1207SMASH
Posted: 3/28/13 at 10:38am

*DOWNTOWN ABBEY SEASON 2 SPOILER AHEAD...though everyone knows about it*

Can Jimmy die like Cousin Matthew? Please? (Though I don't think that happened on a Christmas special but still)

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#1208SMASH
Posted: 3/28/13 at 10:55am

DEClarke - It would be nice if they could get a 3rd season because with all of it's "faults", I still enjoy it. The positives IMO have been Hilty, the original music of "Bombshell" and having a TV series with Broadway as the backdrop.

Gothampc
#1209SMASH
Posted: 3/28/13 at 11:11am

At this point, the only way Smash will get a third season is if Jon Hamm appears nude on the show.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#1210SMASH
Posted: 3/28/13 at 11:17am

If only Ken Davenport was producer... who knows the hijinks and publicity he'd do to ask people to watch it?

AEA AGMA SM
#1211SMASH
Posted: 3/28/13 at 11:17am

I just caught up on the past two episodes and I think I've lost all faith in the show. I don't demand absolute realism in my television, but these two episodes pushed all boundaries of suspended disbelief.

I'll also say that Tom is the type of director that I absolutely dread working with. So far, from what we've seen, his style of directing is to have his cast reference what famous actors/actresses have done in their classic roles. And the director who wants to be best friends with everyone in the cast is the director who will quickly lose all control of his show (which, to her credit, they did have Julia tell him). Then he just starts adding characters and actors to a show that is well into rehearsals without consulting the producer? Yeah, that's not going to go over well with anyone. And any actor who quits a job based on a drunken promise at a party deserves to be out of work.

The whole handling of the Liaisons plot was just wrong. Ivy kept arguing about what a serious drama this show was, a tragedy even, and there was nothing we saw of it, or from what we were told of its history, that indicated that she was right about that. The number we saw in performance sounded like it was plucked from the stage version of History of the World, Part 1, not a song from a serious drama. So basically, judging from her perception of what Liaisons "was supposed to be" I have to question her ability to read and analyze a script.

Like I said, I don't demand 100% realism, but I do want them to avoid stupidity and pandering.

Owen22
#1212SMASH
Posted: 3/28/13 at 1:00pm

It amazes me me how you people will bend over backwards trying to defend the HORRIBLE "Smash" while at the same time dissing the much, much better "Glee".

FindingNamo
#1213SMASH
Posted: 3/28/13 at 1:02pm

How long ago did you suffer that head injury?

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

all that jazz Profile Photo
all that jazz
#1214SMASH
Posted: 3/28/13 at 1:08pm

Owen, I'm as Gleek as they come, but I'm obsessed with SMASH as well. While I prefer Glee, because it was the original, there's no denying the brilliance of SMASH, and I don't think you have to choose between this two wonderful shows, which so delightfully (when Jordan is not on screen) celebrate Theatre.

AEA AGMA SM
#1215SMASH
Posted: 3/28/13 at 1:12pm

I gave up on Glee about three or four episodes in to the first season. I couldn't even muster up enough interest to hate watch that show.

Owen22
#1216SMASH
Posted: 3/28/13 at 1:57pm

Except for the songs for Bombshell (and those couple for Liasons) "Smash" is, for the most part badly written, acted, conceived and plotted. While "Glee" can be less than brilliant at times, at times it achieves brilliance. "Smash" has never come close.

kyl3fong2 Profile Photo
kyl3fong2
#1217SMASH
Posted: 3/28/13 at 2:04pm

Do any of you watch Nashville? I think what that show does right is balance its music and make it "make sense" in the context of the storylines that exist in the world of that show.

A part of me wishes that SMASH did what Nashville has been doing, which I believe some other posters have mentioned on here... "a soapy drama with a Broadway backdrop"

ray-andallthatjazz86
#1218SMASH
Posted: 3/28/13 at 2:24pm

So basically, judging from her perception of what Liaisons "was supposed to be" I have to question her ability to read and analyze a script.

AEA, this is one of my biggest problems with SMASH, I think I mentioned it earlier but it just bothers me how many of the characters are so bad at their jobs. We are told over and over that these people are brilliant but McPhee can't go without autotune for a single bar of music and disappears on camera/stage, Julia's book was a mess for the longest time, Tom does things as a director that would easily get him fired on day one, Eileen uses mob money to pay for her first show alone, and Ivy has that moment where she apparently completely misses the mark on what LIAISONS should be like, not to mention her random inconsistent behavior in the last episode trying to change the show. It's one of the many reasons the show is a disaster.
And I'd like to know when was the last episode GLEE achieved brilliance, I hate-watch it but when you have Rachel singing "Torn" as a duet with herself, and one of the characters turns out to be a gigolo (and they refer to him as such), it's time to throw in the towel.

Idiot Profile Photo
Idiot
#1219SMASH
Posted: 3/28/13 at 2:32pm

That number from HIT LIST? Dreadful, dreadful, dreadful.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#1220SMASH
Posted: 3/28/13 at 2:34pm

Julia's book was a mess for the longest time

I was never got clear on what was so great about the workshop book, particularly since that would have been the one the Boston book (which was universally panned, right?) was based on.

Owen22
#1221SMASH
Posted: 3/28/13 at 2:36pm

It achieved some brilliance on the episode after that.

And I beg to differ, no matter how much auto-tune and acting lessons Kat McPhee needs, there is no denying the camera completely loves her. And, unfortunately, it doesn't the more talented Megan Hilty.

AEA AGMA SM
#1222SMASH
Posted: 3/28/13 at 2:42pm

And I won't say it with 100% certainty, but I doubt the cast has much say in whether or not the music producers decide to auto-tune them. It was used last night on Jeremy Jordan just as much as it was for Katherine McPhee and I don't hear anyone jumping all over him for it the way they are on her.

FindingNamo
#1223SMASH
Posted: 3/28/13 at 2:50pm

"... there is no denying the camera completely loves her. And, unfortunately, it doesn't the more talented Megan Hilty..."

I'm denying it right now. So there is some denying it.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

broadwayfever
#1224SMASH
Posted: 3/28/13 at 2:52pm

The Directors and the Writers did a terrible job this season.

Videos