News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion- Page 47

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#1150SMASH
Posted: 3/27/13 at 9:40am

I think Ivy is going to miss out on winning a Tony this year. If she is eligible for a Liaisons nomination she will be up against her mother(!), and how could they not give the Tony to Bernadette?

I fear that Hit List will walk away with Best Actor and Actress.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

willep
#1151SMASH
Posted: 3/27/13 at 11:36am

But I think that with the whole plot of her feeling like nothing compared to her mother, the show would give her the Tony and not her mother...to give her some validation. Then her mother has to accept that her daughter is a star.

Or am I misremembering things?

FindingNamo
#1152SMASH
Posted: 3/27/13 at 11:50am

The Tony committee will decide Liaisons is ineligible.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

WhizzerMarvin
#1153SMASH
Posted: 3/27/13 at 11:51am

The ratings are out. Smash goes up to a 1.0

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/03/27/tv-ratings-tuesday-the-voice-tuesday-premiere-dips-but-boosts-go-on-splash-dives-body-of-proof-up/175227/

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

OperaBwayLover Profile Photo
OperaBwayLover
#1154SMASH
Posted: 3/27/13 at 12:12pm

Grrrr. Just found out on 'Seth Speaks' that Megan Hilty was supposed to sing a version of "I Got Love" on the third episode, but it got cut from the episode. She was supposed to show Jennifer Hudson's character (whose name escapes me) how to make it sexy.
Updated On: 3/27/13 at 12:12 PM

PlayItAgain
#1155SMASH
Posted: 3/27/13 at 12:18pm

If I was NBC id keep SMASH where it is, obviously being behind the voice even an hour after it, is helping it.

WhizzerMarvin
#1156SMASH
Posted: 3/27/13 at 12:22pm

The thing is Smash still did very poorly last night with The Voice lead-in. Right now NBC is wasting the lead-in on Go On, New Normal and Smash. A 1.0 after the network's biggest hit is awful, especially in comparison with the cost per episode.

NBC is wise to move it to Saturday and try to nurture a new show that might actually be a hit and stick around for another season. Ready For Love may or may not be that show, but it can't get worse ratings than Smash is getting now, and at a fraction of the cost to produce.

all that jazz Profile Photo
all that jazz
#1157SMASH
Posted: 3/27/13 at 12:24pm

Could this ratings mean a third season?

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#1158SMASH
Posted: 3/27/13 at 12:45pm

As whizzer said, a 1.0 is not worthy of rejoicing or a sigh of relief. It's still abysmal. It's just also less abysmal.

Gothampc
#1159SMASH
Posted: 3/27/13 at 12:50pm

The problem with Smash Season 2 is that they aren't allowing Meagan Hilty to be the breakout star. She's the most interesting person on the show. They're trying to make McPhee happen and it's just not working. And they continue to give Meagan's time to Jennifer Hudson, Sean Hayes, Leslie Odom Jr, etc.

Last night's episode was boring. Tom as director isn't working. The whole switch from "I want to hear your ideas" to "I'm making the decisions" never really gelled.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#1160SMASH

Just to give you guys some context, a show like 30 ROCK which was always under threat of cancellation had just about the same numbers of viewers than SMASH does. Mind you, 30 ROCK was not only a hugely respected show by critics and audiences alike, but it had an Oscar-winning movie star (Alec Baldwin) at his best as the lead and during its run it featured one of the most iconic comedienne's of her time (Tina Fey), the show won three Emmys in a row for Comedy Series and it's considered one of the best sitcoms of modern TV, not to mention the fact that it was a 30-minute series, which means it was a lot cheaper to run than a one hour drama. With that in mind, SMASH is one of the shows that is most reviled by critics and audiences alike, it's made fun of consistently and has terrible writing and a cast that brings no "prestige" to NBC at this point (they did when the show started) because of how bad the show is. The musical numbers are expensive to shoot. The "improvements" in viewership are good in that they'll keep the second season on the air, I don't understand why people are deluding themselves into thinking that there's any chance it'll be renewed.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

AEA AGMA SM
#1161SMASH

According to Whizzer's link The Voice had 12.02 million viewers (I've also seen it now listed as high as 13 in another article). Smash pulled in 3.11 million, and Go On and The New Normal also showed that people were leaving NBC for other stations as the night went on. There's just no way from a business perspective that they could justify giving the show a third season. It's not even as if it's some critical darling like 30 Rock, which of course was also much cheaper to produce.

WhizzerMarvin
#1162SMASH
Posted: 3/27/13 at 12:51pm

In a way it's more abysmal because when it was garnering 0.9s and 0.8s it was coming off of Betty White's Off Their Rockers. The Voice should have been a MAJOR boost.

There is no third season. There hasn't been for a long time. Everything will be wrapped up at the end of this season and it will be over.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#1163SMASH
Posted: 3/27/13 at 1:41pm

It truly shocks me that some people still think SMASH could get a third season. We have nine episodes left - eight of them airing on SATURDAY NIGHTS (the burnoff death slot) - and that's it. No season three.

FindingNamo
#1164SMASH
Posted: 3/27/13 at 2:05pm

If SMASH could just hang on til the Tonys and we get the word of mouth out, I think it could get a season three.

all that jazz Profile Photo
all that jazz
#1165SMASH
Posted: 3/27/13 at 2:35pm

^PLEASE!!

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1166SMASH
Posted: 3/27/13 at 2:49pm

personally, I think it would have been best if NBC moved Smash to 9pm on Tuesdays to follow The Voice and move Go On & The New Normal elsewhere.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

trixigold
#1167SMASH
Posted: 3/27/13 at 2:50pm

The only ratings right now are the overnights, and TVBytheNumbers is giving the numbers for 18-49 demo. So, that 1.0 is for 18-49 year old viewers, not total viewership. It only got a .7 rating among that age group last week, so that's an improvement. However, The Voice got over 3.0 in that demographic group. I'm not sure why advertisers are still so keen to go after that demographic, because they just don't watch much TV of any kind anymore. At least not live. "Smash" does better with older than 49 year old viewers, but they don't count for much.

DEClarke Profile Photo
DEClarke
#1168SMASH
Posted: 3/27/13 at 3:08pm

Is that Daphne Rubin-Vega?!

It sure was, and she looked great! Why didn't she look that good in Wild Things?

P.S. I'm pretty sure I heard Jordan Catalano enjoyed her cameo!

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#1169SMASH
Posted: 3/27/13 at 3:57pm

I guess my continued complaints about Megan Hilty's complete lack of screen time would just be white noise at this point? I am so angry that she has been pushed aside so we can focus on Hit List which I am just completely uninvested and uninterested in. Oh Smash just when I think you can't disappoint me any further.... You give Megan Hilty 30 seconds to sing. And that's all.

FindingNamo
#1170SMASH
Posted: 3/27/13 at 4:28pm

But Jamey Sheridan was there and I have always wanted to give birth to his K-Y babies.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#1171SMASH
Posted: 3/27/13 at 4:40pm

Jamey Sheridan from The STand?

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

ray-andallthatjazz86
#1172SMASH
Posted: 3/27/13 at 5:01pm

Whatever 30 seconds we got from Hilty singing "Let Me Be Your Star" are better than any time McPhee shows up for anything, is it me or have her line readings only gotten worse and more stale? It's like she knows the show is canceled so she's not even trying anymore. Well, that or maybe it's in protest of the fact they gave her Jimmy as her main scene partner, and let's not even talk about how bad of a character poor Krysta Rodriguez got stuck with, could she be more irrelevant?

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#1173SMASH
Posted: 3/27/13 at 5:03pm

personally, I think it would have been best if NBC moved Smash to 9pm on Tuesdays to follow The Voice and move Go On & The New Normal elsewhere.

The point of giving shows a strong lead in show is the hope that when the show moves away from the lead in, it will retain as much of its audience as possible. Smash was losing half of The Voice's audience last year. There is no logical reason to make The Voice Smash's lead in again.

ray-andallthatjazz86
#1174SMASH
Posted: 3/27/13 at 5:05pm

But Phyllis, all I gathered from your post is that SMASH is most likely getting renewed! Yes! #SaturdayIsTheNewPrimeTime

Videos