News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

THE WIZ Final Dress

Act4ever Profile Photo
Act4ever
#1THE WIZ Final Dress
Posted: 6/11/09 at 11:10pm

I just got home from the final dress rehearsal of THE WIZ at City Center. The show is in pretty good shape. Ashanti grew as the show progessed and wasn't as bad as I had anticipated. The standouts were the Scarecrow, Lion, and Tinman (their names escape me at the moment) Overall, it was an enjoyable evening and I would certainly recommend it. I'm sorry that this isn't much of a review, it's been a long night and I'm not even sure where to begin. But if anyone has any questions I'll be happy to answer them.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#2re: THE WIZ Final Dress
Posted: 6/11/09 at 11:10pm

Act4ever, how were the production values? How was LaChanze?

Most importantly- do you think this could merit a transfer?

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

RyToast1
Bar none Profile Photo
Bar none
#3re: THE WIZ Final Dress
Posted: 6/11/09 at 11:17pm

How did they do the Tornado?

Act4ever Profile Photo
Act4ever
#4re: THE WIZ Final Dress
Posted: 6/11/09 at 11:17pm

The production values were great. I had never seen an Encores show so I wasn't really expecting anything. Everything was simple, of course, but still visually beautiful.

The opening has a lovely preset and everything else is, again, simple, yet highly effective. The costumes and lighting design are great. The show becomes about who these people are, what they want, and what this journey is about to them. It's spectacular without the spectacle and I found that to work wonderfully.

I could see this transfering, yes, with a few shuffles here and there (between casting and a couple technical aspects)

I think in the hands on Thomas Kail and his team, the show is brought to a very nice level.

As far as LaChanze -- she was great. However, she's only onstage at the beginning as Aunt Em, and then sings "If You Believe" at the very end (a power house, yes, but I wish Glinda had more stage time...)

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#5re: THE WIZ Final Dress
Posted: 6/11/09 at 11:18pm

Also, how was Tichina Arnold? I assumed she'd definitely be a standout.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

defyingravity07 Profile Photo
defyingravity07
#6re: THE WIZ Final Dress
Posted: 6/11/09 at 11:18pm

How was Tichina as Eviliene? Good to hear that Christian (Scarecrow) is doing good.

Act4ever Profile Photo
Act4ever
#7re: THE WIZ Final Dress
Posted: 6/11/09 at 11:20pm

The tornado, much like the original, is done as a "ballet." Ensemble members come through and with the help of lighting and sound, turn the stage into the middle of a cyclone -- carrying set pieces and doing creative things with furnature moving. There's some interesting "laundry" movement as well as other pieces of material that they use to help signify the wind. Most of it was effective. There were certain moments during the tornado that I wished the stage was larger.

#8re: THE WIZ Final Dress -- Let's consolidate threads
Posted: 6/11/09 at 11:21pm

Dress Rehearsals at Encores don't usually get a standing O....maybe Follies did....but this one got a big ovation...and much of it is deserved.

The Good Parts -- LaChanze, Scarecrow, Tinman, Lion and yes Ashanti's singing. The set is really innovative and if you really dig funky 70's choreography and a great orchestra -- then you will really like the show. If you like the obligatory, but completely unnecessary, shirtless male dancers (an Encores signature) -- then you will be very very happy.

The Okay Parts -- Ashanti's acting....some of it is the part, but she also could have a little more spunk...she comes off more Ms Jackson...than little Janet Jackson. Her voice is not big -- but the notes were solid and the tone is really nice. I think overall she is stronger in this role than Anika Noni Rose was in Purlie (another tough Stephanie Mills part). Orlando Jones -- good, not great -- I really look forward to seeing Coleman Domingo in the role later in the run. Evilene was okay -- but I think there were some sound issues which dulled her big Act II number.

The Bad Parts -- The energy in Act II was off....some of it was the material....but the act never seemed to find its way. The sound still needs work -- but that is not unusual for an Encores Dress.

Bottom Line: I wasn't planning to see it a second time, but it was a lot of fun and I think my 6 yr old nephew will really like it.

Act4ever Profile Photo
Act4ever
#9re: THE WIZ Final Dress
Posted: 6/11/09 at 11:22pm

Tichina was a great. There should be a show a la WICKED to showcase the three witches in this piece. Adapearl, Glinda, and Evilene were all outta control fantastic and each of them a show-stopper in their own way.

defyingravity07 Profile Photo
defyingravity07
#10re: THE WIZ Final Dress
Posted: 6/11/09 at 11:25pm

I can't wait to hear her "No Bad News". What was her costume like?

RyToast1
#11re: THE WIZ Final Dress
Posted: 6/11/09 at 11:27pm

She kinda looked like a drag queen, but in a good way. haha

Act4ever Profile Photo
Act4ever
#12re: THE WIZ Final Dress
Posted: 6/11/09 at 11:28pm

Her "No Bad News" was great, but I felt like there was a bit of a "punch" lacking in it. The book has some weird slow sections in it at the top of Act II that sadly fall under her belt as well. Maybe it was the staging of "...Bad News" ... I don't know, but there was SOMETHING missing.

Her costume wasn't anything crazy... very classy, awesome, sparkly dress... ha. At one point it got caught a piece of scenery for a moment and she was telling Underling to do something, it got caught and she said "...after I fix my dress..." It was silly.

And a side note: Lin Manuel was sitting an aisle away from me... that was fun seeing him and some other familiar faces there tonight

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#13re: THE WIZ Final Dress
Posted: 6/11/09 at 11:34pm

Does anyone have the Peer 2 Peer code for this? Or is it always the same code? Please PM me. A friend is coming into town and I'd love to take him to this.

RyToast1
#14re: THE WIZ Final Dress
Posted: 6/11/09 at 11:35pm

I saw Lin-Manuel. I was sitting right behind Ashanti's mom and family....you can tell how proud they are of her.

#15re: THE WIZ Final Dress
Posted: 6/11/09 at 11:38pm

Saw the show tonight, lots of fun and a great show, and most everybody did a fabulous job. But I couldn't get past how stupid most of the book is to this show, and think that if it were to transfer, it should undergo a few edits first.

The dancing was amazing and choreography fantastic. Best part of the show was Be A Lion - holy crap. they sang the HELL out of that song. Best one in the show is the lion. He nailed his jokes, managed to be affecting, and his voice is outstanding.

Ashanti did a great, great job. Her acting leaves a little to desire, but her voice was fabulous.

Act4ever Profile Photo
Act4ever
#16re: THE WIZ Final Dress
Posted: 6/11/09 at 11:43pm

I agree, "Be a Lion" was the best number in the show (I also really enjoyed "Brand New Day" -- it was a little odd, but beautifully sung)and the Lion really was fantastic. He just looked so hot in that costume! I was uncomfortable for him...

Ashanti didn't sound so great at the beginning... but as the show went on she sounded much better and she nailed the ending.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#17re: THE WIZ Final Dress
Posted: 6/11/09 at 11:47pm

I'd been waffling about seeing this. I love Encores productions, but I couldn't decide if I wanted to spend the money, since times are tough. but good word of mouth and a $21 orchestra seat? couldn't pass that one up. plus I've never seen The Wiz before!

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

BroadwayBound115 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound115
#18re: THE WIZ Final Dress
Posted: 6/11/09 at 11:51pm

I am SO GLAD everyone likes this. Honestly, what are the chances of it transferring? I really would like to see The Wiz when I come to NY in October.

Act4ever Profile Photo
Act4ever
#19re: THE WIZ Final Dress
Posted: 6/11/09 at 11:51pm

I'd totally say it's worth it. If anything to see a couple fantastic performances. The piece itself it so-so... it's really fun, but parts of the book are trite and slow. But it's really what these actors (and director/choreographer) pull out of this material that is wonderful. It's a high-class production.

pli1018
#20re: THE WIZ Final Dress
Posted: 6/11/09 at 11:52pm

Did that cut that other Glinda song, "A Rested Body is a Rested Soul" (or something)? That would give LaChanze more time to show off her chops.

Act4ever Profile Photo
Act4ever
#21re: THE WIZ Final Dress
Posted: 6/11/09 at 11:54pm

Cut. (I didn't know it ever existed...)

RyToast1
#22re: THE WIZ Final Dress
Posted: 6/11/09 at 11:56pm

"A Rested Body is a Rested Mind" is still in there, it's the first song LaChanze sang as Glinda, right before "Belive in Yourself"

Act4ever Profile Photo
Act4ever
#23re: THE WIZ Final Dress
Posted: 6/12/09 at 12:00am

Ahhhhh! Right. --- Shows how memorable that song was. (I suppose I found it unnecessary. Thanks RyToast!

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#24re: THE WIZ Final Dress
Posted: 6/12/09 at 4:00am

Nobody got around to answering my question in the other thread, so I figure I'd pose it here: Is Coleman Domingo slated to take over for Orlando or something? I've read "...later in the run" a few times tonight. Did I not get the memo?

Videos