News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

TKTS

adampascalgal Profile Photo
adampascalgal
#25re: TKTS
Posted: 7/15/07 at 11:56am

I am with ya theatrelover I just don't get the process! I don't know if it is best to show up early to get good tix or later. Or which booth is better times sq or seaport, it is all just really confusing to me too so don't feel bad.

As far as reading the board goes it is pretty straigtforward if the show is up there it is available, and when it is sold out, I think they list it as sold out or remove it from the list. But I am not sure, also I don't think you know what seats they have available until you get to the window. I hope this helps a little.

"All they say Is "Trust in What Is Writen." Wars are made. And somehow that is wisdom. Thought is suspect, And money is their idol, And nothing is okay unless it's scripted in their Bible." -Spring Awakening

Bee2
#26re: TKTS
Posted: 7/15/07 at 12:53pm

Do people normally queue a lot before the booth opens? I would like to get Curtains, Xanadu and Colour Purple but my husband thinks they will all be sold out?

altoid06 Profile Photo
altoid06
#27re: TKTS
Posted: 7/15/07 at 3:11pm

The TKTS booth is a great way to get discount tickets for many shows. I live out of state (in Ohio) and whenever we come into the city, we buy our tickets through TKTS. If you do your research beforehand it's a great way to see more shows for less money. First off, find a site that will tell you what is on the boards each day. I use https://www.entertainment-link.com/tkts.asp which gives you a day by day listing of what is on and how much off you get. Keeping track of the grosses is also a great way to figure out which shows will be available. Next, as the trip nears, see what seats are available at each of the shows you are seeing, every day you'll be there. Keep note of which shows have better seats availble on certain days. For instance, I did this before my trip so I knew that I had a better chance of getting tickets to see Curtains on Wednesday evening than the matinee, and Les Mis was the other way around. This allows you to get the most bang for your buck.

Since the South Street Seaport location opens earlier, you can sometimes get better tickets to see shows. It also saves you time if you want to see both an evening show and a matinee. The lines here are considerably shorter, but they also have less windows open. We waited around 30 minutes at the TKTS there and around an hour at the TKTS in Times Square. That's an average of showing up when the booth opens. I'm sure it changes based on when you go though.

The boards are easy to read. If the show isn't on the board, it isn't available. A lot of times all the shows will not fit on the screen, so the board will flip back and forth between the two sets. You'll find out what seats are the best available at the counter when purchasing. Remember to pay in cash or traveller's checks, or else you can not buy tickets through the TKTS.

Hope I helped and Good Luck! re: TKTS

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." -- Maya Angelou

yankees1253 Profile Photo
yankees1253
#28re: TKTS
Posted: 7/15/07 at 5:50pm

the guy told me at my tkts window that they update it every monday...but is more updated tuesday morn.
I ,live 20 mins from nyc-manhattan i go through tkts,ticketmaster for mine. if you are a student try student rush also.

Bee2
#29re: TKTS
Posted: 7/15/07 at 6:31pm

Thanks atloid06 that was very informative. One question - you say
"Next, as the trip nears, see what seats are available at each of the shows you are seeing, every day you'll be there. Keep note of which shows have better seats availble on certain days."

Do you mean see what normal full price tickets are available just so you know which days have less tickets sold? Or is there a site that tells you the quality of the half price tickets available?

Jellylorum Profile Photo
Jellylorum
#30re: TKTS
Posted: 7/15/07 at 9:47pm

You can't find out what seats are available. You go up to the window and tell them what show you want tickets for, and what they give you is what you get. From my experience, you either buy them or not - you can't choose what seats you want. Once, I asked what other seats were available, and the guy told me, "If you don't like these tickets, there are plenty of people behind you who are willing to buy them." But that's when the line was long, and they wanted it to move fast. I think they might be more flexible with you when there's no one else in line, but I'm not sure.

"It's a goddamn beautiful day, shut up!"

LondonSean
#31re: TKTS
Posted: 7/15/07 at 9:58pm

Yes, they tend to sell the tickets 'front to back', or whatever they have in order, no choices (thought the staff will sometimes make an exception if they're feeling happy and/or you're cute enough!).

Remember that ticket availibility can fluctuate. By that I mean sometimes shows can send over (transfer or whatever) more tickets as the day goes on. This is only a possibility, so don't take a chance unless you are totally set on a specific show (otherwise the second choice show may not be at TKTS when you come back!).

As for the seats, they are generally all top price tickets (not premium), but I've had slightly cheaper tickets once two years ago in NYC, it all depends on what the theatre can sell themselves. And if there are many full price seats, why offer the cheaper ones (cheaper people, like me, often buy up all the really cheap seats direct with the theatre anyay).

Remember if you are set on a particular show and it's not on TKTS, the theatre may well have full price or single seats for sale. Also as a tourist, I've been offered special deals at a couple of box offices when I've asked a question about prices and availibility and not gone straight to purchace a ticket (one guy said 'are you from out of town' or similar, and gave me a better than TKTS rate!)

We have exactly the same system at the London TKTS booth as the NY one.

altoid06 Profile Photo
altoid06
#32re: TKTS
Posted: 7/16/07 at 8:11pm

In response to Bee2:

I check the full price tickets through the company on their official website. Usually, this allows you to plan out your shows a little more. We were in NYC for three days the last time and scheduled it so we could see a matinee and three evening performances. I had done enough research that I was able to make a list at home of what shows would be the best chance of getting at each performance, and we managed to get the shows in that order.

Now, some shows might release more tickets than others for a particular performance so my methods are not any guarantee. However, I think it's helpful if you are trying to make the most of a trip to the city.

Good luck with TKTS!

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." -- Maya Angelou

Jellylorum Profile Photo
Jellylorum
#33re: TKTS
Posted: 7/16/07 at 9:55pm

TKTS is good if you have a list of several shows you're interested in and can't decide which one to see, or if you are feeling adventurous and want to see something you don't know much about. But if you are absolutely dead-set on seeing certain shows, I recommend using discount codes instead.

"It's a goddamn beautiful day, shut up!"

Videos