News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

WONDERLAND to Close on Broadway; Plays Final Show May 15- Page 2

WONDERLAND to Close on Broadway; Plays Final Show May 15

BroadwayBen
#25WONDERLAND to Close on Broadway; Plays Final Show May 15
Posted: 5/10/11 at 7:18pm

Weren't all the investors from Tampa? How much did they lose?

shaydedenigma
#26WONDERLAND to Close on Broadway; Plays Final Show May 15
Posted: 5/10/11 at 7:21pm

Wow that truly is a shame.....I saw the show the week it opened and my mom, sister, and I had such a great time watching it....of course I had not so great expectations from the show due to reading some of the reviews before hand but I ended up liking it a lot as I watched it. I personally don't think Wildhorn is a bad composer....I feel like he just has the worst luck with finding the right collaborator....I'm a little bit saddened by this news especially since it definitely is so sudden

96000ith
#27WONDERLAND to Close on Broadway; Plays Final Show May 15
Posted: 5/10/11 at 7:22pm

Do you really think that Janet won't play the last performance? I'm hoping she will, but who knows what she's doing in L.A and if she can cancel it.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#28WONDERLAND to Close on Broadway; Plays Final Show May 15
Posted: 5/10/11 at 7:27pm

Weren't all the investors from Tampa? How much did they lose?

Everything. The show never had a profitable week.

ahhrealmonsters
#29WONDERLAND to Close on Broadway; Plays Final Show May 15
Posted: 5/10/11 at 7:28pm

"You can't put the blame for this on Wildhorn. It's the book to this show that's awful, not the music."

Agreed. The book and lyrics bring the show down far more than the music.

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#30WONDERLAND to Close on Broadway; Plays Final Show May 15
Posted: 5/10/11 at 7:30pm

I still don't know why they didn't try to hold into the summer. During spring break, they grossed over 900k dollars that week so I don't see why it would have been any different during the summer.

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#31WONDERLAND to Close on Broadway; Plays Final Show May 15
Posted: 5/10/11 at 7:32pm

"Sad for the fact that we were planning to take a group of 35 students, most of whom it was their first Broadway show to it on the 25th."

At least now, the chances are the students first Broadway show is going to be positive. Take 'em to 'Book Of Mormon' instead, they love it, 100% guaranteed.

However this premature closure of 'Wonderland' might not be anything to do with the show, it could be the famous curse of the Marquis!
Updated On: 5/10/11 at 07:32 PM

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#32WONDERLAND to Close on Broadway; Plays Final Show May 15
Posted: 5/10/11 at 7:42pm

Although I do have to wonder if Wildhorn can ever learn from his mistakes. I mean after three out of town try outs, one would think he would have something more to show for it.

Didn't sound like Wildhorn was the primary problem.

I personally don't think Wildhorn is a bad composer....I feel like he just has the worst luck with finding the right collaborator....

With the exception of Dracula, I'd agree. Too many cooks spoiled the Broadway productions of Jekyll and Hyde and Scarlet Pimpernel. Civil War was an interesting concept that was poorly executed. Dracula was the only Broadway score I found just tedious and dull.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#33WONDERLAND to Close on Broadway; Plays Final Show May 15
Posted: 5/10/11 at 7:47pm

I wonder how much moola Wildhorn's shows have lost collectively on Broadway?
If he has worked with so many collaborators and they have all failed, he has to take some of the blame.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#34WONDERLAND to Close on Broadway; Plays Final Show May 15
Posted: 5/10/11 at 7:54pm

For some reason I was under the impression that Wildhorn had more to do with the show than just the music, which I happen to like. I stand corrected!

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

After Eight
#35WONDERLAND to Close on Broadway; Plays Final Show May 15
Posted: 5/10/11 at 8:03pm

"Sad for the fact that we were planning to take a group of 35 students, most of whom it was their first Broadway show to it on the 25th."

That is sad. I feel bad for those students.

I feel bad too for the performers in this show. A lot of good people are in it.

It's sad too that they couldn't get this right. The tale is a classic that lends itself to humor and enchantment. If Disney was able to do it, why can't anyone else? Perhaps the secret is not to modernize it in any way. And not to make Alice an adult!

trentsketch Profile Photo
trentsketch
#36WONDERLAND to Close on Broadway; Plays Final Show May 15
Posted: 5/10/11 at 8:14pm

This just makes me sad. In spite of the awful second act (Dear God, that was terrible), I did enjoy myself at this show and hoped it would find an audience as a family friendly musical with a lot of style and impeccable sound design. I knew it would be eaten alive in that theater. Shoot, I was shocked The Drowsy Chaperone ran as long as it did there.

Well, that just means that the rights for amateur groups will get released sooner (pwease?) and this becomes as popular as All Shook Up for high schools to do. There are worse fates for cute family shows than that.

broadwaydevil Profile Photo
broadwaydevil
#37WONDERLAND to Close on Broadway; Plays Final Show May 15
Posted: 5/10/11 at 8:29pm

Why are they launching a national tour?

Sad to see it close so soon - but it's lost money everywhere, don't get how a tour helps anything.

Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.

bryan
#38WONDERLAND to Close on Broadway; Plays Final Show May 15
Posted: 5/10/11 at 8:31pm

boo i thought that this show would be like the addams family of the senson.

PitPro2004 Profile Photo
PitPro2004
#39WONDERLAND to Close on Broadway; Plays Final Show May 15
Posted: 5/10/11 at 8:52pm

Re:Tampa investors.

Gads, I hope that's not the case because I am really looking forward to Bonnie and Clyde and have close attachments to that show. I'm going to feel super terrible if that show doesn't make a go of it this summer/fall. I've heard pretty good things about it.

Sorry to see Wonderland close because of a pit musician friend that I know in it. He was so proud to have his first run on Broadway and now brokenhearted that it's not going to last. That's the suckiest part of any show's closing...having to provide dry shoulders for dear friends to weep on.

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium!"

Pan_Am_L-1011
#40WONDERLAND to Close on Broadway; Plays Final Show May 15
Posted: 5/10/11 at 8:55pm

Well that's too bad. Surprisingly, I quite enjoy the CD. I listened to snippets of the concept and didn't like what I heard. After listening to snippets of the OBC, I bought it and really like the recording. I didn't see the show though, but it's really too bad when something original closes.

wendilin622 Profile Photo
wendilin622
#41WONDERLAND to Close on Broadway; Plays Final Show May 15
Posted: 5/10/11 at 8:58pm

They were so excited. I'm not looking forward to breaking the news to them tomorrow. Also very sad for all those involved with the show.

Were going to try to get tickets for another show (according to Ticketmaster, CMIFYC has almost the entire balcony empty. We shall see. Hoping it all works out for their sake.

bwaylvsong
#42WONDERLAND to Close on Broadway; Plays Final Show May 15
Posted: 5/10/11 at 9:04pm

I actually think it would have made some money back during the summer.

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#43WONDERLAND to Close on Broadway; Plays Final Show May 15
Posted: 5/10/11 at 9:07pm

They managed to find us 40 seats to another show the Friday Tale of Two Cities announced they were closing early and had a show set by Monday for Wednesday.

jovie27 Profile Photo
jovie27
#44WONDERLAND to Close on Broadway; Plays Final Show May 15
Posted: 5/10/11 at 9:09pm

"Ive heard much much worse."

Oh, Jordan, so you must of heard his other shows!

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#45WONDERLAND to Close on Broadway; Plays Final Show May 15
Posted: 5/10/11 at 9:20pm

I agree with Jordan - the score for this show is NOT nearly as bad as the book. And there have been WAY worse scores on Broadway than Wonderland.
I still haven't made it through the whole cast album of Memphis...

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#46WONDERLAND to Close on Broadway; Plays Final Show May 15
Posted: 5/10/11 at 9:21pm

Take them to BOM instead?
1. You can't get discounts even for groups for this show.
2. They were getting a crazy cheap rate for Wonderland.
3. You can barely get single seats for BOM 6 weeks from now, let alone 35 seats only 15 days away.

Obviously, their advance must be incredibly weak, with no movement since the reviews. Their gross vs POTENTIAL was incredibly low...under 40% of their potential if I remember correctly -- average ticket price in about 55 bucks, I think.

Still -- am suprised they aren't sticking around for the summer as well.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

wendilin622 Profile Photo
wendilin622
#47WONDERLAND to Close on Broadway; Plays Final Show May 15
Posted: 5/10/11 at 9:30pm

"Take them to BOM instead?
1. You can't get discounts even for groups for this show.
2. They were getting a crazy cheap rate for Wonderland.
3. You can barely get single seats for BOM 6 weeks from now, let alone 35 seats only 15 days away."

4. I do not think that is an approved BOE approved musical.

Blockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
#48WONDERLAND to Close on Broadway; Plays Final Show May 15
Posted: 5/10/11 at 9:30pm

Janet will be back for the final show but she's missing Friday and Saturday per Morgan James' twitter

ReggieonBway Profile Photo
ReggieonBway
#49WONDERLAND to Close on Broadway; Plays Final Show May 15
Posted: 5/10/11 at 9:35pm

Yeah, I'm not gonna blame this one on Wildhorn. The music in the show wasn't terribly inspired, but save for the fantastic breakout performance of Miss Sinclair, it was the only thing that kept me in the theatre for the second act.

Videos