News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

WONDERLAND to Close on Broadway; Plays Final Show May 15- Page 3

WONDERLAND to Close on Broadway; Plays Final Show May 15

GatorNY Profile Photo
GatorNY
#50WONDERLAND to Close on Broadway; Plays Final Show May 15
Posted: 5/10/11 at 9:39pm

Wow, it's hard to believe that something lasted less time than Cry-Baby did at The Marquis, but I believe that this run will have been even shorter. I guess Cry-Baby at least had Best Musical and Best Choreography nominations, hence a reason to stick it out until the Tony Awards.

"The price of love is loss, but still we pay; We love anyway."

After Eight
#51WONDERLAND to Close on Broadway; Plays Final Show May 15
Posted: 5/10/11 at 10:16pm

"Wow, it's hard to believe that something lasted less time than Cry-Baby did at The Marquis"

Nick and Nora had a run of just nine performances at that theatre. It also managed to receive a Tony Award nomination for best score, long after it had closed.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#52WONDERLAND to Close on Broadway; Plays Final Show May 15
Posted: 5/10/11 at 10:25pm

Is the "a tour will follow" what they always say to soften the blow?

Credit to Wildhorn for tenacity, all his shows hsve flopped on Broadway. He must have some sort of record.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

hyperbole_and_a_half Profile Photo
hyperbole_and_a_half
#53WONDERLAND to Close on Broadway; Plays Final Show May 15
Posted: 5/10/11 at 10:28pm

I think blaming the book for this disasterpiece is a little too easy. This was not Wildhorn's worst score, but by all accounts the book for the Broadway production was written around the music instead of vice versa. If the music had served a purpose, told a story, deftly illustrated a moment, or done any of the dozens of other things great musical theatre songs do, it would've been a strong enough skeleton to hang an evening of theatre upon. Instead, we got lots of generic ballads (no surprise there, Wildhorn), and an endless parade of nauseatingly sly multi-culti pastiche.

It's foolish to expect Wildhorn to work with the same notoriously focused collaborative energy as, say, Sondheim, but at this point it's pretty clear that whatever method he's been employing for the past fifteen years isn't working. You can't just show up for an afternoon, **** out 15 melodies, fling them at a show doctor, collect your paycheck and leave *cough WILLIAM FINN BONO THE EDGE cough*

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#54WONDERLAND to Close on Broadway; Plays Final Show May 15
Posted: 5/10/11 at 10:35pm

"I wonder how much moola Wildhorn's shows have lost collectively on Broadway?"
Jekyll & HYDE lost $1.5 million (over the course of 4 years), and together with 3 productions of The Scarlet Pimpernel on Broadway and The Civil War on Broadway all lost combined $20 MIL. (There's a NY Times article about this)

DRACULA lost around $7-10 MIL I believe, and WONDERLAND caps out at $13 MIL of the top of my head.

I'm surprised it didn't last around to the end of June at the least, very shocking but an overall huge disappointment to me was this production!

PopAria Profile Photo
PopAria
#55WONDERLAND to Close on Broadway; Plays Final Show May 15
Posted: 5/10/11 at 10:48pm

I think it's stupid that the WONDERLAND ppl are closing it without knowing how it'll do in the busy Summer/Tourist season.

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#56WONDERLAND to Close on Broadway; Plays Final Show May 15
Posted: 5/10/11 at 10:55pm

Kind of surprised as well--- would have thought they would have given it until Memorial Weekend/Summer to see how it would do-

They must be losing boatloads of dough.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#57WONDERLAND to Close on Broadway; Plays Final Show May 15
Posted: 5/10/11 at 10:57pm

I think it's stupid that the WONDERLAND ppl are closing it without knowing how it'll do in the busy Summer/Tourist season.

They know, love. That's why they're closing it, yeah?

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#58WONDERLAND to Close on Broadway; Plays Final Show May 15
Posted: 5/10/11 at 11:01pm

The idea of a musical about Wonderland is a great one, but I can't help but wonder if the concept they took with it is just way off. Why would they modernize Alice and her story? That would be like Wicked taking place in modern day. I guess I just don't see the reason for modernizing something that is fine as it is.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#59WONDERLAND to Close on Broadway; Plays Final Show May 15
Posted: 5/10/11 at 11:06pm

The show was never meant to be a faithful adaptation... original scripts had Alice related to Alice Liddell (before and surprisingly during the first Tampa run), but it was scraped because of Janet Dacal (workshops conducted with Brandi Burkhardt & Lauren Kennedy).

I like the idea of a modern Alice, I have always loved the concept, and I will say agian - this production does no justice to what the original message and concept of the piece was. It never tried to be some sort of huge meaningful piece either - just some great tunes, an interesting story and a heartwarming ending about learning to balance youself, your loved ones and your ambitions!

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#60WONDERLAND to Close on Broadway; Plays Final Show May 15
Posted: 5/10/11 at 11:10pm

^ This is true! I really wish I could have seen the show evolve and all the changes it went through. I was planning on catching the show this summer, but sadly I won't be able to. I love the music, and there are a lot of great songs. I would definitely take the music from this over Wicked ANY day!

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Moneyspider
#61WONDERLAND to Close on Broadway; Plays Final Show May 15
Posted: 5/10/11 at 11:34pm

I'm glad I saw it but I did want to take my family to see it over the summer too.WONDERLAND to Close on Broadway; Plays Final Show May 15

I've heard a Broadway run is a selling point for a touring version, but this was a pretty short run.

LitesofBway89
#62WONDERLAND to Close on Broadway; Plays Final Show May 15
Posted: 5/10/11 at 11:36pm

What do you think they'll put in the Marquis next??

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#63WONDERLAND to Close on Broadway; Plays Final Show May 15
Posted: 5/10/11 at 11:37pm

The First Wives Club

LitesofBway89
#64WONDERLAND to Close on Broadway; Plays Final Show May 15
Posted: 5/10/11 at 11:45pm

Is that serious or sarcasm?

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#65WONDERLAND to Close on Broadway; Plays Final Show May 15
Posted: 5/10/11 at 11:46pm

The show must have a very small advance for them to close it so quickly. I join with a few others here in saying I thought it would last through the summer, at best. It's a shame that another theatre will be dark this summer.

as for it's next tenant, anyone else think Elf should take the Marquis if it returns.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#66WONDERLAND to Close on Broadway; Plays Final Show May 15
Posted: 5/10/11 at 11:46pm

The First Wives Club

WONDERLAND to Close on Broadway; Plays Final Show May 15

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#67WONDERLAND to Close on Broadway; Plays Final Show May 15
Posted: 5/10/11 at 11:56pm

Jump for Joooooooooooooy!!!

bwayfan7000
#68WONDERLAND to Close on Broadway; Plays Final Show May 15
Posted: 5/11/11 at 12:00am

I still don't understand why they even bothered bringing this to Broadway. Its fate was inevitable.

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#69WONDERLAND to Close on Broadway; Plays Final Show May 15
Posted: 5/11/11 at 12:03am

Because when the show opens to critical success in Europe it sounds fantastic to say "straight from Broadway!"

The show in previous incarnations was literally so different in so so many ways. The Broadway production was open cold turkey!

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#70WONDERLAND to Close on Broadway; Plays Final Show May 15
Posted: 5/11/11 at 12:03am

Well, they needed an opener for the First Wives Club.

massofmen
#71WONDERLAND to Close on Broadway; Plays Final Show May 15
Posted: 5/11/11 at 1:21am

i am pretty sure the Drowsy Chaperone made money there...so what curse are you talking about?

bwayfan7000
#72WONDERLAND to Close on Broadway; Plays Final Show May 15
Posted: 5/11/11 at 1:31am

Drowsy closed a flop, even though it had a great run there. This has been brought up in many other threads, but if a show didn't make back its initial investment, it's a flop, regardless of how good a run it had.

And I sort of don't understand why shows in the Marquis have such a difficult time. It has a very central location in Times Square and isn't horribly big. Perhaps it really is just bad luck of what shows ran there.

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

Feldzieg
#73WONDERLAND to Close on Broadway; Plays Final Show May 15
Posted: 5/11/11 at 1:37am

@wendilin622

For the 35 student group:

think with these musicals there should at least be a chance to get the whole group in for a halfway decent price:

- Catch Me If You Can
- Memphis

With these it is basically guaranteed:

- Million Dollar Quartet
- The People in the Picture

I would probably go for Memphis, if possible. It's an entertaining, well-meaning show with a lot of energy.
And I am aware that many people don't have a high opinion
of Memphis. But basically all people I know really liked it.

Updated On: 5/11/11 at 01:37 AM

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048

Videos