#1
Posted: 3/4/07 at 12:32am
I was researching Jerry Herman's Tony Awards and found some very interesting gaps in the handing out of the "Best Score" award. Namely, 1952-1959, 1961, 1969, and 1970. Why as no award given for "Best Score" in those years? Between . . .
-1961-
-Irma La Douce (Monnot and Breffort)
-Tenderloin (Bock and Harnick)
-The Unsinkable Molly Brown
-Camelot (Lerner and Lowe)
-Do Re Mi (Styne, Comden and Green)
-The Happiest Girl in the World (Offenbach and Harburg)
-Carnival! (Merrill)
-Wildcat (Coleman and Leigh)
-1969-
-1776 (Edwards)
-Hair (MacDermot, Rado, Ragni)
-Zorba (Kander and Ebb)
-Promises, Promises (Bacharach and David)
-Dear World (Jerry Herman)
-Celebration (Schmidt and Jones)
-1970-
-Oh! Calcutta! (Dennis,Schickele,Walden)
-Coco (Previn and Lerner)
-Purlie (Geld and Udell)
-Applause (Strouse and Adams)
. . . it would seem they had plenty of worthy scores to nominate and pick from. Well, at least the in the first two years, I can sort of understand in '70, but if we had that season today, I think the award would still be presented. And then the award wasn't presented from 1952-1959, which I'm also very curious about. The only other year the award wasn't presented was in 1989, and I know that was due to a lack of good original scores.
I know its a long question, but I felt it was better than starting 4 different threads.
-1961-
-Irma La Douce (Monnot and Breffort)
-Tenderloin (Bock and Harnick)
-The Unsinkable Molly Brown
-Camelot (Lerner and Lowe)
-Do Re Mi (Styne, Comden and Green)
-The Happiest Girl in the World (Offenbach and Harburg)
-Carnival! (Merrill)
-Wildcat (Coleman and Leigh)
-1969-
-1776 (Edwards)
-Hair (MacDermot, Rado, Ragni)
-Zorba (Kander and Ebb)
-Promises, Promises (Bacharach and David)
-Dear World (Jerry Herman)
-Celebration (Schmidt and Jones)
-1970-
-Oh! Calcutta! (Dennis,Schickele,Walden)
-Coco (Previn and Lerner)
-Purlie (Geld and Udell)
-Applause (Strouse and Adams)
. . . it would seem they had plenty of worthy scores to nominate and pick from. Well, at least the in the first two years, I can sort of understand in '70, but if we had that season today, I think the award would still be presented. And then the award wasn't presented from 1952-1959, which I'm also very curious about. The only other year the award wasn't presented was in 1989, and I know that was due to a lack of good original scores.
I know its a long question, but I felt it was better than starting 4 different threads.
I have several names, one is Julian2. I am also The Opps Girl. But cross me, and I become Bitch Dooku!
Updated On: 3/4/07 at 12:32 AM