News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Your Ideal New York City Vacation: with REVIEWS (page 16!)- Page 2

Your Ideal New York City Vacation: with REVIEWS (page 16!)

jenna2 Profile Photo
jenna2
#25re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/11/07 at 4:05pm

That would depend on how much walking you're up for. When I went, I stayed on 45th & 8th (I think) and walked back and forth to Central Park every day. The train is a likely option too (and probably faster than taking a cab).

Call the understudy / I can't go on tonight / I'm drinking with my buddy / I'm getting good and tight / Before they raise the curtain I'll be higher than a kite / So call the understudy I can't go on tonight

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#26re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/11/07 at 4:21pm

So, a cab will be necesary to travel to Times Square and Rockefeller Center, correct?

Ditto jenna2- totally depends on how much walking you're up for.

Fyi, this is the way that I learned it when I first moved out here, which used to totally help me figure out if something was walkable for me or not: 1 long block = 2.5 minutes of walking, 1 short block = 1 minute of walking. (long = avenue, short = street). So if you're staying on 57th St btwn 9th/10th Aves, that's roughly 15-20 minutes walking to get you from there to either Rock Ctr. (50th St btwn 5th/6th Aves) or Times Square (42nd St/Bway).

Or take the train on 57th one or two stops to either one.

But a cab is totally not necessary- again, depending on how much you're used to walking.

Mrs.B
#27re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/11/07 at 4:29pm

The Hotel is between 9th and 10th Ave. at 57th Street. Times Square is at 7th Ave. and 42nd Street. So, you've got 15 blocks south and 2-3 east. Rockefeller Center is between 5th and 6th Ave at 50th.

I'm 52 and I walked and took the subway everywhere while in the city 2 years ago. You know your parents--we don't. You need to decide what they can handle.

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#28re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/11/07 at 4:36pm

Tuesday August 7th

• Plane Lands: 3:30 pm (LaGuardia)

• Hotel Check- In Time: 3:00 pm

• Unpack bags/ settle/ rest

• Walk to Central Park/ possible cab

• Walk through Central Park

• Dinner: Tavern on the Green (reservation time pending)

• Walk/ cab back to hotel

Wednesday August 8th

• Breakfast: Mangia
50 W 57th St, New York 10019
Btwn 5th & 6th Ave

• Cab to Times Square

• Madame Tussaud’s Wax Museum (opens at 10 am, reservations pending)

• Walk around Times Square, shopping

• Lunch: Times Square Deli
168 Madison Ave, New York 10016
Corner of 33rd St

• Legally Blonde the Musical- The Palace Theatre, 1564 Broadway, NY NY, 2 pm

• Dinner: Bubba Gump Shrimp Co.
1501 Broadway, New York 10036
At 44th St

or

John's Pizzeria
Times Square
260 W 44th St, New York 10036
Btwn 7th & 8th Ave

• Mary Poppins the Musical- New Amsterdam Theatre , 42nd Street and Broadway, 8 pm

• Cab back to the hotel after the show

Thursday August 9th

• After an early rise, a cab/ subway ride to SoHo/ Little Italy

• Breakfast: Vesuvio Bakery & Café (SoHo)
160 Prince St, New York 10012
Btwn W Bway & Thompson St

• Walk around SoHo, look around NYU

• Walk to Little Italy

• Lunch: Pomodoro Ristorante
Of Little Italy
51 Spring St, New York 10012
At Mulberry St

• Subway/ cab to Rockefeller Center

• NBC Studios Tour (reservations pending)

• Walk around Rockefeller Center

• Walk to West 48th Street/ Theatre district

• Dinner: La Masseria
235 W 48th St, New York 10036
Btwn 8th Ave & Bway

• Grey Gardens the Musical- Walter Kerr Theatre 219 W 48th Street, 8 pm

• Cab back to hotel after the show

That's my itinerary so far. I am just a little confused about when I should plan on walking, when to take a cab, and when to ride the subway (and what subway... and how!). My parents can stand quite a bit of walking, but not miles on end.

americanboy99
jenna2 Profile Photo
jenna2
#30re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/11/07 at 4:56pm

As far as planning out trains vs. cabs, I say it's almost better to wait until the day to figure it out. Your hotel will likely have maps and be able to provide you with a ton of information. We tried to plan a ton before we left, but everything changed once we actually saw what we'd gotten ourselves into.

Didn't you say you're not leaving until August? You've got some time to figure out the little details. Don't get stressed out... yet. :)

Call the understudy / I can't go on tonight / I'm drinking with my buddy / I'm getting good and tight / Before they raise the curtain I'll be higher than a kite / So call the understudy I can't go on tonight

americanboy99
#31re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/11/07 at 5:05pm

Haha. I know. I am not too nervous. Just getting excited.

Okay. Random question: are the train and the subway the same thing?

jenna2 Profile Photo
jenna2
#32re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/11/07 at 5:07pm

Yep, 'train' and 'subway' are generally interchangable. For the most part, people will let you know if they're talking about something different (Taking the train in from out of town, etc.)

Updated On: 6/11/07 at 05:07 PM

americanboy99
#33re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/11/07 at 5:08pm

HAHA! Ok. Good.

Is the subway system pretty easy to master?

jenna2 Profile Photo
jenna2
#34re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/11/07 at 5:11pm

I had it figured out to the point where people were asking me for directions within two days. :) It all depends on how well you adapt to urban surroundings. There are signs and maps everywhere, so it's relatively easy.

avab802 Profile Photo
avab802
#35re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/11/07 at 5:11pm

Whether you take a cab, subway, or walk will definitely depend on your mood (and your parents) that day. The closest subway station to your hotel is Columbus Circle, which has the A,C,B,D, and 1 trains. From there you can take the 1 to Times Square, and the B or D to Rockefellar Center. Both of those places are walkable as well, but as someone mentioned previously it will be a good 15-20 minute walk.

americanboy99
#36re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/11/07 at 5:29pm

How about a subway from SoHo to Rockefeller Center?

How about walking to Tavern on the Green from our hotel?

How are subways after shows, like at 11 pm?

americanboy99
ChecksintheMayo
#38re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/11/07 at 6:06pm

http://www.mta.info/nyct/subway/index.html

Was it really necessary to bump a thread not even a half hour after your last posting?

americanboy99
#39re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/11/07 at 6:12pm

Probably not. But the board is crazy today. And threads can get lost. Sorry.

Anyone ever had breakfast at Mangia on W 57th St.?

TIGGOSAURUS Profile Photo
TIGGOSAURUS
#40re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/11/07 at 6:47pm

I would second John's Pizzeria on 44th as a great place for a pre-show meal. I also got a real buzz out of the revolving restaurant atop the Marriott Marquis in Times Square. There's a v. reasonable buffet menu available on the 47th floor (savoury or sweet or both) and, failing that, there's a more up-market 'a la carte menu' on offer on the 48th floor.

Go to Maxie's Deli in Times Square for the best cheesecake selection in Manahttan.

And Joe Allen's is fabulous for post-theatre / post-mortem discussions!

Above all: ENJOY! Go to Central Park, see a few shows, walk through the various neighbourhoods (they're a LOT closer together than London), see a few more shows and have a great time! :)

Seen some shows in my time....
Updated On: 6/12/07 at 06:47 PM

americanboy99
americanboy99
jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#43re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/11/07 at 7:04pm

If you have your stops planned out (or if you've got access to the internet at your hotel), go to http://www.hopstop.com before you come and it'll plot out your travels for you. Be sure it's set to "subway only" or it'll give you bus routes too, but it's AWESOME!!!!

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

Clarinetbiter135 Profile Photo
Clarinetbiter135
#44re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/11/07 at 7:16pm

It seems you have most of your meals planned out. However, I would recommend getting AWAY from Times Square for food. Head over to about 9th ave. and walk for some really great food at much cheaper. If you want to stay around times square (which, I can't blame you too much because you have a busy schedule and the city can be overwhelming) I would recommend Ollie's on 44th between broadway and 8th. Its noodles meets diner. And there usually isn't a long wait and the food is $12 or less. (and the portions are HUGE and good to share)

Its my fav. place to eat before a show re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#45re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/11/07 at 7:19pm

I would recommend Ollie's on 44th between broadway and 8th.

fyi this Ollie's doesn't exist anymore.

eta: if you're looking for breakfast place recommendations I *love* Sarabeth's- $12 french toast is something I only do once in a while, but it is SO delicious.

Sarabeth's: Central Park South Updated On: 6/11/07 at 07:19 PM

Clarinetbiter135
#46re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/11/07 at 7:21pm

Are you kidding me??? I JUST moved from NYC less than a month ago and they closed down?

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#47re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/11/07 at 7:27pm

Yeah, it closed like 3 weeks ago or so now (?)...there's now an Olie's at, I wanna say it's at like 42nd and 9th or 42nd and 10th, there's a sign on the emptied out 44th St locale saying where the new location is.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#48re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/11/07 at 7:29pm

My favorite sandwich-type place is Say Cheese over on 9th between 45th and 46th. YUMMY!!!

Oh, and just keep in mind, Bubba Gump's one of those touristy places that's always PACKED. So you might be rushed to get a table, eat and get to your evening show. (I ate at the one in Chicago because my dad wanted to, and none of us were impressed. You can get the same basic food at Red Lobster. Which is down on 41st with the twirly lobster in front. LOL.)

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!
Updated On: 6/11/07 at 07:29 PM

Clarinetbiter135
#49re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/11/07 at 7:33pm

That stinks.... I was all about some ollie's..... But yeah. Go find it! And go to 9th! There is a chain of cheap sushi restaurants called Go Sushi and a *smaller* location on 51st and 9th. Its extreme low key but my one of my fav lunch locations when I worked at MTV.

Of course, I say that and it might be closed down too, LOL

Videos