News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Your Ideal New York City Vacation: with REVIEWS (page 16!)- Page 3

Your Ideal New York City Vacation: with REVIEWS (page 16!)

suzannefabulous
#50re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/11/07 at 8:58pm

I like eating at the Edison Cafe on 47th - I always see a broadway performer or two while I'm in there!

siny
#51re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/11/07 at 10:28pm

I would try to get out of Midtown and see other parts of the city. I personally hate Midtown - it's so crowded. I would skip MSG - there is nothing to see there, unless you are on a tour.

If you do venture downtown and the weather is nice, try riding Staten Island Ferry for the best view of Manhattan. And it's free too.

Rotel1026
#52re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/12/07 at 12:13am

Have you tried going over to TripAdvisor.com and surfing their NYC board? I did a lot of reading up there before I went to NYC and they have a lot of great recommendations for stuff to see/do and places to eat, etc.

And as someone else said, MSG is really just an arena, not much of a site to see. If you've been in other arenas, you're not all that likely to be impressed by anything there.

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#53re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/12/07 at 12:30am

So, I am thinking about skipping BUBBA GUMP'S before MARY POPPINS. What would you suggest that is near Times Square/ the New Amsterdam and is relatively quick.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#54re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/12/07 at 12:57am

Any of the Playwrights (there are 3). They have pre-theatre fixed price meals, and thier food is good. That's the only sit down place I've been around there. On 42nd Street with the New Masterdam there's an Applebee's, Dallas Barbeque, Chevy's... There may be some others, but I'm not sure. My budget isn't really sit-down place happy right now.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

americanboy99
#55re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/12/07 at 10:54am

Okay. What are (like when on that restaurant search thing) is Times Square? East 40's? West 40's?

siny
#56re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/12/07 at 12:18pm

Times Square is between 6th and 8th Ave. & West 40th and West 53rd St.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#57re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/12/07 at 12:21pm

My ideal NYC vacation? While in town, I win the Powerball Lotto and go pick out my new condo on the East side with a terrace overlooking Central Park.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

americanboy99
americanboy99
#59re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/12/07 at 12:29pm

How about the Belly Delly Deli in Times Square? Any good?

americanboy99
#60re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/12/07 at 12:37pm

What about Cafe 0 42 (which is near the New Amsterdam)?

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#61re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/12/07 at 12:52pm

Whats the name of the restaurant-its more of a diner-where the people are like broadway actors and they sing while they are serving you and stuff?

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#62re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/12/07 at 1:04pm

Whats the name of the restaurant-its more of a diner-where the people are like broadway actors and they sing while they are serving you and stuff?

Ellen's Stardust Diner- I received the worst service ever, at any restaurant, there, and would not wish that tourist trap of an experience on *anyone.* Two thumbs way down.

siny
#63re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/12/07 at 1:04pm

Yes, it's in the West 40's

americanboy99
WickedRentEder Profile Photo
WickedRentEder
#65re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/12/07 at 1:25pm

If you're interested, MSG (Madison Square GARDEN) has tours available to the public. You get to see the dressing rooms, etc and most likely there'll be a WNBA game around that time.

There's nothing to see at NYU (since, like someone said, it's all over the place) but you may want to go to Washington Square Park and see the big arch. That's as "NYU" as it gets.

As for places to eat...there's (around Times Sq/Theater area): Virgil's BBQ, Joe Allen, Sardi's, Carmine's, Bubba Gump's (always packed). Then there's the usual stuff near Times Sq (Mary Poppins): Appleby's, BB Kings, etc...and I LOVED Ellen's Stardust Diner...maybe I'm the only one! LOL!

Have fun!

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#66re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/12/07 at 1:45pm

Bubba Gump's - Ok food at 3x the price. Run, Forrest, Run!

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

americanboy99
#67re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/12/07 at 2:01pm

WickedRentEder-

Which of those is the quickest in Times Square?

I need a quick, relatively cheap, dinner restaurant in Times Square for before MARY POPPINS.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#68re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/12/07 at 2:16pm

Applebee's.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

americanboy99
#69re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/12/07 at 2:18pm

Well, that isn't a chain...

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#70re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/12/07 at 2:34pm

Pretty much anything in the Times Square area, especially around 42nd, is going to be pretty busy. That's why I usually do something like Europa Cafe ~ sandwiches and salads. It's easy, and the food's portable if there aren't any tables.

LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

gymdudeva
#71re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/12/07 at 2:52pm

Every time I go to Washington Square, someone tries to sell me weed!

There are so many restaurants in NYC, I usually just ending making mental notes and checking out the menus as I run around during the day, then go back to one of them at night, and I have never been disappointed. (Everything tastes better in NYC!!!) You'll probbaly get lots of suggestions from locals too, if you ask...so I wouldn't spend too much energy planning every last meal.

I agree not to spend too much time in Times Square....it will sap your energy!

americanboy, where do you live? I am curious.

siny
#72re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/12/07 at 3:09pm

Personally, I prefer falafel, souvlaki and gyros from a street vendor to a restaurant. They are very tasty and you get an extra two hours exploring NYC rather than sitting in a restaurant.

Yero my Hero Profile Photo
Yero my Hero
#73re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/12/07 at 3:17pm

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Chill.

Rule number 1: A taxi is NEVER necessary in New York. Tourists and millionaires are the only people who take them everywhere. The only time I ever take a taxi is when I need to get somewhere quickly and the fastest subway route would require at least two transfers, or if I'm carrying something too heavy to lug onto the train.

20 blocks = about one mile. If you take a cab from your hotel to Times Square, you'll be paying about $6 to be driven a quarter of a mile. Anywhere that's too far to walk can be VERY easily reached by subway. Every single train stops at 42nd Street, and most of them go all the way up and down Manhattan. Unless it's raining and you have five minutes before your show starts, do not take a cab.

Also, skip Tavern on the Green. It's nothing but a tourist trap. Anyone I know who has eaten there says that the food is awful for what you're paying (about $40 per person). Walk by it and check out the animal-shaped topiaries, but then go to Pongsri or the Rainbow Room or Sardi's for dinner.

Also, I hated Bubba Gump and I love Ellen's Stardust. Their burgers are the best I've had, and the singing always puts me in such a good mood. It's my standard after-show spot. It's a bit pricey, but it's so much fun.

Nothing matters but knowing nothing matters. ~ Wicked
Everything in life is only for now. ~ Avenue Q
There is no future, there is no past. I live this moment as my last. ~ Rent

"He's a tramp, but I love him."
Updated On: 6/12/07 at 03:17 PM

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#74re: Your Ideal New York City Vacation: What to See, Where to Eat, What to D
Posted: 6/12/07 at 3:29pm

Rule number 1: A taxi is NEVER necessary in New York. Tourists and millionaires are the only people who take them everywhere. The only time I ever take a taxi is when I need to get somewhere quickly and the fastest subway route would require at least two transfers, or if I'm carrying something too heavy to lug onto the train.

Or if someone else is paying. :) My aunt refuses to go down the steps to stand on a subway platform, let alone get on a train, because "that's where all the killers and gang members live" (seriously), and so whenever she's in town I am always in cabs.

And it's possible I am the only person (well- myself and the 9 people I was with that night) to have had bad service at Ellen's Stardust Diner, but I still have to say don't do it...
The Ellen's experience, if anyone's interested

Videos