News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for westycenterstagejack

westycenterstagejack Profile Photo
Member Name: westycenterstagejack
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Into the Woods Movie Cast
 Mar 20 2013, 11:45:34 PM
Witherspoon would be incredible, IMO. I like the Kristen Wiig idea, but I don't think she'll be approached in a million years.
Unpopular Opinions
 Mar 19 2013, 11:01:31 PM
- Sutton Foster is great, but was grievously miscast as Reno
- Lynn Ahrens and Stephen Flaherty are the finest composing team in modern theatre
- Audra didn't deserve her most recent Tony, Laura Osnes or Kelli O'Hara did
- Everything about Alice Ripley's N2N performance was perfection
- Wicked is a great piece of musical theatre, it's sentimental and relatable
- Pippin is the only thing I'm excited about on Broadway right now
- Chicago needs to close six years ago, Mamma

SPIDER-MAN Spokesman Says NO Truth to Co-Director Report!
 Feb 20 2011, 10:03:25 PM
I dig your Alanis reference, there, Jordan Catalano.

I agree with what somebody earlier said about the beauty of a small show. Julie Taymor IS a genius (The Lion King is proof). But she just bit off more than any human being could chew for SpiderMan TOTD. I'm really disappointed in her for putting a bunch of really hardworking artists through this for the sake of her vision.

I still have a little faith that she will pull it together. But more and more slips away everyday.

Jenn Damiano as Mary Jane.
 Feb 20 2011, 09:50:27 PM
How is she? I haven't seen the show yet and I really don't want to until it opens (if it ever does), but I think Damiano is a really promising talent (she arguably deserved to win the Tony for N2N) and I've been really interested on how she is in Spiderman.

Any thoughts?

Great Performances and Recorded Plays
 Dec 4 2010, 09:45:28 PM
I second or third or fourth the Next to Normal suggestion. I'm still super depressed its closing.
Matt Shingledecker as new Tony alternate?
 Oct 15 2010, 11:58:02 AM
Anyone see him? Some of the buzz on Twitter has been saying that he was outstanding.
Shows HURT by later revisions
 Oct 6 2010, 07:46:41 PM
SEUSSICAL for sure.

I hate that Frank Galati seemed to just completely misinterpret the entire essence of the show. I hate that MOST directors just completely don't understand the emotional aspect of the show as well as the silly. It really should be a cheap as HELL show to put on, because it really is more impressionistic than most make it out to be.

Also, no matter what, I find myself missing some of the songs from NEXT TO NORMAL that existed Off-Broadway and no longer do (Gr

Jenn Damiano: Mary Jane?
 Sep 9 2010, 09:22:07 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm a HUGE fan of her. (I feel like she arguably deserved the Tony for her absolutely perfect work in Next to Normal.) I guess it's a little early to assume anything, but I feel like its going to be a really meaty vocal role.
Next to Normal, as she has stated, was extremely tough for her, and it was apparent. Some days she would sound perfect, but others you could tell it was straining her voice.
Anyone else agree or disagree?

What do you want to see for Disney's next show??
 Sep 9 2010, 09:17:01 PM
POCAHONTAS POCAHONTAS POCAHONTAS.
The only reason there afraid of it is because they want it to be a HUGE production. In my mind, if I were to stage a production of Pocahontas, it would be entirely impressionistic--no sets, minimal props, etc. Focus on the story.
And putting some crazy good choreographer in there like Graciella Daniele (who would be PERFECT) and a badass lighting designer could make the show exquisitely artistic without even building a single thing.

N2n closing?
 Sep 9 2010, 08:49:48 PM
I desperately hope this isn't true. It's a masterpiece. I see a long life ahead of it if it chooses to continue. I hope it doesn't take the whole Spring Awakening route and "choose" to close.
And plus, I will never get tired of seeing Meghann Fahy as Natalie. She will never beat Damiano, but her voice is MUCH better suited for the role.
I pray it doesn't close anytime soon.

My Re-Visit to ALNM with the Replacement Cast
 Aug 5 2010, 07:45:24 PM
I'm a gigantic, monstrous fan of A Little Night Music (especially this BEAUTIFUL revival) and a huge fan of Bernadette Peters, but she just does NOT feel right at ALL at Desiree.
Make a giant-cast show tiny
 Aug 5 2010, 04:35:08 AM
Well, technically, its written entirely ensemble. Here's an example of how the script is written:

STORYTELLER (Asaka) or STORYTELLER (Ti Moune) for every line as I recall.

But yes, I suppose you are right. Its a very intimate show.

Lion King cutting songs - anyone know if legit?
 Jul 15 2010, 09:22:44 AM
Grasslands Chant, Morning Report, and Chow Down need to GO. I've always thought this. It is a PHENOMENAL show, and with them gone it could be perfect.

And as to someone earlier saying they should cut Madness of King Scar...NO. Just...just NO.

Make a giant-cast show tiny
 Jul 15 2010, 09:09:46 AM
I don't know how much this counts, but cutting the ensemble from some shows can work to cut casts. Once on This Island may be able to be done without one (although it would suck), that would be like eight actors or something...
Most overrated shows?
 Jul 15 2010, 09:06:07 AM
WICKED: Fantastic, absolutely epic music but a completely and utterly overdrawn and boring book.

LES MIS: I don't know if I've always felt this way, but it just feels really overdone.

AIDA: Pretty much the same as Wicked...beautiful music but an awful book...maybe a little too much tenor, too, if that's possible. Where are the low parts?

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST: Never, ever did anything for me onstage. No matter the production, the direction always feel so contrived and s

Once on This Island revival.
 Jun 24 2010, 06:02:48 PM
I'm bumping this because I still love the idea. It never really got the acclaim I feel it deserved, and if it got the right director behind it (Julie Taymor, perhaps?) it could grow into something even more beautiful.

Its been twenty years since the original production. I think its time. Its become one of the Ahrens and Flaherty's most well loved musicals. I think it would be outstanding on Broadway. It could be a bit of a rejuvination on a somewhat dead season.

Scarlett Responds To Tonys Backlash!
 Jun 23 2010, 07:41:27 PM
Which is pretty much exactly my point.

It was the only category that I disagreed on, but that doesn't make Zeta-Jones any less deserving. I guess I worded that portion strangely. What I should have said was...

"I think the only person who I would have rather seen win than Catherine Zeta-Jones, who in my opinion, should have lost to Montego Glover. However, they both would have deserved it."

The Past 5 Tony Awards Voting Thread
 Jun 23 2010, 07:36:31 PM
BEST PLAY
Red (2010)
God of Carnage (2009)***
August: Osage County (2008 )
The Coast of Utopia (2007)
The History Boys (2006)

BEST MUSICAL
Memphis (2010)
Billy Elliot (2009)
In the Heights (2008 )
Spring Awakening (2007)***
Jerset Boys (2006)

BEST REVIVAL OF A PLAY
Fences (2010)***
The Norman Conquests (2009)
Boeing-Boeing (2008 )
Journey's End (2007)
Awake and Sing! (2006)

BEST REVIVAL OF A MUSI

Scarlett Responds To Tonys Backlash!
 Jun 23 2010, 07:33:19 PM
I think the only person who didn't deserve their Tony was Catherine Zeta-Jones, and that's only because I thought Montego Glover deserved it MORE.

I will pick theatre over film ANY DAY and I was not the least bit upset that the acting Tonys went to primarily film actors. We all have to 'pound the pavement,' as Scarlett put it. Everyone gave huge, awe-inspiring performances and should be rightly rewarded.

2010 Drama League Nominations Announced!
 Apr 25 2010, 08:41:26 PM
The Miracle Worker was robbed almost entirely. Its my pick for revival of a play, best actress in a play for Alison Pill and best featured actress in a play for Abigail Breslin.
BOO.
I wouldn't complain if John Gallagher, Jr. walked away with the performance award, however. I hope he wins the Tony. American Idiot is pretty decent, but he is fantastic.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You