pixeltracker

My Re-Visit to ALNM with the Replacement Cast. My friend wrote a review:

My Re-Visit to ALNM with the Replacement Cast. My friend wrote a review:

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#1My Re-Visit to ALNM with the Replacement Cast. My friend wrote a review:
Posted: 8/5/10 at 2:44am

Well, I am actually not going to review it again. I will just say that Aaron Lazar was out and his understudy was fantastic and I enjoyed him better than Aaron himself, AND, Elaine Stricth was actually ALOT better, she forgot some lines but she was feeling a lot more comfortable in the show and made up for it with her smile or cute moments. She was alot better than the 1st time I saw her.
Ramona, Erin, Alexander and Leigh Ann stole the show again for me.
But this is NOT about my opinions. It's about my friend's and he wrote a review I might share with you guys since he doesn't post on this board:

NY Theatre - A Little Night Music Replacement Cast (Walter Kerr Theatre)Share. Tuesday at 11:04pm

So a little preface --- I saw this production in London and apart from a fantastic Henrik and a refreshing different and brilliant Charlotte was completely bored to tears.

I saw it in NY because I was curious to see Catherine Zeta-Jones and was slightly less bored, although I didn't care for Erin Davie or Hunter Ryan Herdlicka and couldn't see what the fuss with them was about.

Now here I am seeing it a third time, because I can't NOT see Bernadette Peters and Elaine Stritch in something. I read in a bunch of reviews that the rest of the cast 'upped their game' but I didn't notice any change in the other performances. The understudy for Magnus was totally boring. Anyway I have five thoughts to share below:

- I completely forgot how much I adored Leigh Ann Larkin's delivery of The Miller's Son. And I feel I may need to buy the recording just to hear it a few more times. Love her.

- I remember thinking Ramona Mallory was a poor man's excuse for Bernadette. And she is even more so when sharing the stage with her. However this generally worked as Frederick's fascination with the younger, prettier (stupider and more annoying) version of the love of his life made some whacked out sense.

- Elaine Stritch. I enjoyed her thoroughly, even though her memory for her lines was worse than Angela's - and she kind of reminded me of John McCain. Although she didn't fit the show at all.

- Bernadette Peters. Yes, her delivery of Send in the Clowns was worth seeing. The rest of the show she was enjoyable but completely overmugged everything, and didn't seem to fit the character at all.

So a little Stritch Peters music. I enjoyed myself far more than I did the first two times, however this was definitely not A Little Night Music. This puts me in a quandary because I tend to be of the opinion that the work comes first...but when a production is as excessively underdirected, and has more pauses than spoken word...sometimes its not so bad to have the stars chew the scenery.

That said if we DO finally get a 'best replacement' tony award this year and it goes to Bernadette (who got ROBBED for gypsy) instead of Marin (who was robbed several times), I will be a bit sick to my stomach.

-Greg-

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-
Updated On: 8/5/10 at 02:44 AM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#2My Re-Visit to ALNM with the Replacement Cast
Posted: 8/5/10 at 2:45am

Why did you need to make a new thread again?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#2My Re-Visit to ALNM with the Replacement Cast
Posted: 8/5/10 at 2:46am

and she kind of reminded me of John McCain.

LMAO. where do you come up with these things?

Well, I am actually not going to review it again.

But you did "review" it again anyway, lol. Updated On: 8/5/10 at 02:46 AM

muscle23ftl
#3My Re-Visit to ALNM with the Replacement Cast
Posted: 8/5/10 at 2:52am

Dear, I said some comments in comparisson with the 1st time I saw the replacement cast. The review was written by my friend Greg.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#4My Re-Visit to ALNM with the Replacement Cast
Posted: 8/5/10 at 2:55am

Oops. Well when I first read it, it was not signed "Greg."

muscle23ftl
#5My Re-Visit to ALNM with the Replacement Cast
Posted: 8/5/10 at 2:58am

I edited it right after I posted it, sorry. I gotta give it to you though, you're quite fast!

metsfan
#6My Re-Visit to ALNM with the Replacement Cast
Posted: 8/5/10 at 3:19am

There's a reason his username isn't "brain23ftl".

muscle23ftl
#7My Re-Visit to ALNM with the Replacement Cast
Posted: 8/5/10 at 4:34am

I didn't even write the review and I'm getting insults?

I think the one that doesn't have a brain NOR knows how to read is you metsfan...

Anyways, I partly agree with me not being smart...I don't even know why I bother sharing my friend's review with a bunch of mean people like yourself.

Updated On: 8/5/10 at 04:34 AM

ArtMan
#8My Re-Visit to ALNM with the Replacement Cast
Posted: 8/5/10 at 10:14am

Muscle....I don't know you nor ever spoke to you. I have read various threads where some people were down right nasty to you. My advice to you is ...don't let a bunch of pimply bullies ever second guess yourself. By admitting to what you may feel is not one of your strengths..is allowing them to win. The best way to deal with bullies is to stand up to them. Just my opinion. Art

theeatah Profile Photo
theeatah
#9My Re-Visit to ALNM with the Replacement Cast
Posted: 8/5/10 at 10:53am

Interesting review. Thanks for posting :)

#10My Re-Visit to ALNM with the Replacement Cast
Posted: 8/5/10 at 11:05am

So you see a show you disliked THREE times so you can bitch about how much you dislike it....

Theater queens!!!

muscle23ftl
#11My Re-Visit to ALNM with the Replacement Cast
Posted: 8/5/10 at 2:04pm

"So you see a show you disliked THREE times so you can bitch about how much you dislike it....

Theater queens!!!"

I LOVED the show! I never once said I disliked the show? Why don't you READ?

#12My Re-Visit to ALNM with the Replacement Cast
Posted: 8/5/10 at 4:58pm

"completely bored to tears...was slightly less bored...couldn't see what the fuss with them was about....Now here I am seeing it a third time, because I can't NOT see Bernadette Peters and Elaine Stritch in something."

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#13My Re-Visit to ALNM with the Replacement Cast
Posted: 8/5/10 at 5:03pm

It appears Greg, who wrote the review, saw the show 3 times. Not muscle.

Just give the world Love.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#14My Re-Visit to ALNM with the Replacement Cast
Posted: 8/5/10 at 6:16pm

Muscle has seen it three times. Once with the original cast, twice with the replacement.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

#15My Re-Visit to ALNM with the Replacement Cast
Posted: 8/5/10 at 6:35pm

Either, both, whatever. Seeing a show you hate-dislike-are bored by-three times is insane.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#16My Re-Visit to ALNM with the Replacement Cast
Posted: 8/5/10 at 6:42pm

Why do you expect from Muscle??

westycenterstagejack Profile Photo
westycenterstagejack
#17My Re-Visit to ALNM with the Replacement Cast
Posted: 8/5/10 at 7:45pm

I'm a gigantic, monstrous fan of A Little Night Music (especially this BEAUTIFUL revival) and a huge fan of Bernadette Peters, but she just does NOT feel right at ALL at Desiree.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#18My Re-Visit to ALNM with the Replacement Cast
Posted: 8/5/10 at 7:47pm

^ Did you see her yet? Or just basing your opinion on clips and pictures? Just curious.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#19My Re-Visit to ALNM with the Replacement Cast
Posted: 8/6/10 at 1:18am

I had to see the original Broadway Cats 5 times because my best friend was in it.

But the last two times I popped a Quaalude, so they don't count.

(It was the 80s. What can I say?)

muscle23ftl
#20My Re-Visit to ALNM with the Replacement Cast
Posted: 8/6/10 at 3:17am

I saw the show 3 times, one time with CZJ because I could barely afford to pay what they charged with her...and twice with BP. I LOVE the show.
My friend Greg saw it in London, and then saw it twice on Bway. I have never been to London unfortunately.

Guys, learn to read...it's about time!

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#21My Re-Visit to ALNM with the Replacement Cast
Posted: 8/6/10 at 11:27am

I saw CZJ twice and thought she was wonderful in the role, but I have now seen BP and think she is simply perfect, so I certainly don't agree that she "doesn't feel right" in the part. But, this is art, and we're all entitled to our own opinions. To me, Bernadette brings so much of the realization, as ths show proceeds, of how the important things in life have passed her by, exactly as they had passed her mother by, as evidenced by Mme.'s "wooden ring" speech at the end. Ah, but then...sublime and uplifting.

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

muscle23ftl
#22My Re-Visit to ALNM with the Replacement Cast
Posted: 8/7/10 at 3:58am

I felt that BP was reading her lines, there was no feeling.
Catherine might have overacted, but her lines were said with great pizzahzz, and that is gone with her replacement.
Thankfully for me, I have proof and I listen to it on a regular basis. The CD with CZJ is wonderful!

muscle23ftl
#23My Re-Visit to ALNM with the Replacement Cast
Posted: 8/7/10 at 1:43pm

I want to say that the best part of this show are the ensemble...great voices, the opening part and the vocalizing it's my favorite part. It steals the thunder from some of the big numbers.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#24My Re-Visit to ALNM with the Replacement Cast
Posted: 8/8/10 at 1:01am

I would love to hear Mc Cain singing "Liasons"

Poster Emeritus

Videos