Jenn Damiano: Mary Jane?

westycenterstagejack Profile Photo
westycenterstagejack
#1Jenn Damiano: Mary Jane?
Posted: 9/9/10 at 9:22pm

Don't get me wrong, I'm a HUGE fan of her. (I feel like she arguably deserved the Tony for her absolutely perfect work in Next to Normal.) I guess it's a little early to assume anything, but I feel like its going to be a really meaty vocal role.
Next to Normal, as she has stated, was extremely tough for her, and it was apparent. Some days she would sound perfect, but others you could tell it was straining her voice.
Anyone else agree or disagree?

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#2Jenn Damiano: Mary Jane?
Posted: 9/9/10 at 9:27pm

I agree completely.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2Jenn Damiano: Mary Jane?
Posted: 9/9/10 at 9:46pm

Honestly? I don't have nearly enough knowledge of what's going on with Spider-Man to have an opinion. (but I do know what you mean of her N2N performances -- which I loved.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
#3Jenn Damiano: Mary Jane?
Posted: 9/9/10 at 9:51pm

Well considering we know absolutely nothing about the score of Spiderman, I don't see how you can make a judgment.

hannah_bway
#4Jenn Damiano: Mary Jane?
Posted: 9/9/10 at 10:10pm

Will she be a part of the performance on GMA tomorrow? Some articles said she would, others just said Carney.

backwoodsbarbie Profile Photo
backwoodsbarbie
#5Jenn Damiano: Mary Jane?
Posted: 9/10/10 at 12:38am

This may be an unpopular opinion but I'm going to say it anyway. I think that a majority of contemporary composers are ruining actors' voices. The belting that some of these singers are asked to do is insane and nobody knows the affect it will have on their voices in the future. I have not heard the Spider Man score yet so I cannot pass judgement, but as it is a rock musical, I can only expect high belting.

http://backstagebarbie.blogspot.com

Baileyboo
#6Jenn Damiano: Mary Jane?
Posted: 9/10/10 at 12:29pm

I don't think Julie would ask her to do anything she wasn't capable of or comfortable with. I also saw her in N2N, and also noticed she was straining at times. But with a rock score, it should be easier to hide any voice issues she may or may not have.

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#7Jenn Damiano: Mary Jane?
Posted: 9/10/10 at 8:25pm

I think I read last year that Spider-Man is the only character that sings? (Which seems very strange that Taymor commissioned BONO to write an entire score for ONE person.)

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#8Jenn Damiano: Mary Jane?
Posted: 9/10/10 at 8:35pm

1.) I COMPLETELY agree with you backwoodsbarbie. Sad what composers are doing to voices nowadays.

2.) We haven't heard the Spiderman score. Wasn't the show described as more of a "play with music" ala Lord of the Rings? Im not sure how much singing there will be and I have a sneaking suspicion there will be pre-recorded or enhanced vocals especially with the high notes and when singing over the rock band.

I think there will be plenty of vocal sweetening in the mix and plenty of vocal "effects". This seems like more of a Vegas show than a Broadway musical. Plus, it will win favor with all the people who like the vocal sweetening on GLEE.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

singer73192 Profile Photo
singer73192
#9Jenn Damiano: Mary Jane?
Posted: 9/10/10 at 8:36pm

If that's the case, it is Reeve Carney we should be worried about. He showed no signs of technique in his performance this morning. While this is appropriate for the style of the score, most "rock" performers work on finding a balance of hiding their technique, but still using it to last for eight performances a week. He could not even get through the whole song this morning. (Many cracks which progressed throughout)

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#10Jenn Damiano: Mary Jane?
Posted: 9/10/10 at 8:43pm

Like I said, after seeing Reeve perform this am, I am pretty sure his singing will be enhanced or autotuned through his mike.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

backwoodsbarbie Profile Photo
backwoodsbarbie
#11Jenn Damiano: Mary Jane?
Posted: 9/10/10 at 8:45pm

Bettyboy...I'm glad we see eye-to-eye. There is a reason that our older generation of Broadway performers' (i.e. Barbara Cook & Angela Lansbury) have enjoyed such longevity and that is because they have technique and because they came up through the Broadway ranks singing the music of composers who understood how to write for the voice. I'm afraid that most of today's singers may not last that long. It will be interesting to see how long all of today's "Elphabas" last in their careers.

http://backstagebarbie.blogspot.com

kchenofan Profile Photo
kchenofan
#12Jenn Damiano: Mary Jane?
Posted: 9/11/10 at 11:35am

I 100% agree with backwoodsbarbie. With the trend of rock musicals, composers are forgetting how to write a voice part that is healthy for the singer. None of the singers that are belting now are going to be able to sing later in life. Technique is one of the most important aspect of singing in my opinion.

I had the privilege of going to Camp Broadway this summer and was shocked to see that 75% of the teens there chose to belt their song despite teachers advising against it. The next generation of Broadway is going to be all belting, all the time.

kchenofan's computer is broken right now. This is her fridge. Now, you can leave a message, but say it slowly, so I can write it on a post-it note and stick it to myself.

Videos