News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for FranklinDickson2018

Member Name: FranklinDickson2018
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Tim Minchin on why Groundhog Day Failed in New York  Jan 7 2024, 11:36:31 AM

I was so glad to read this. I adored the show and truly love the score.  The OBC is a delight. I thought that Andy Karl gave one of the finest performances I have ever seen. Iconic. Perfect match of actor to role. 

SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa  Jan 5 2024, 11:26:48 PM

Then they have to cast a standby for the Tuesday nights LOL"

lol - savage but accurate!
"

No.   Just savage.   Can you please give Benanti a break?  Her health problems dating back to Into the Woods are well documented, and they include a broken neck.  I have heard her in every Broadway role since 2001 --- and guess what she has NEVER cancelled and never disappointed.  Am I the only one?  I think

Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?  Jan 5 2024, 11:20:10 PM

In terms of sheer vocal quality and timbre the "Rose's Turn" sounded completely wrong to me.  Both vocally and interpretively.  But this may have been the first time she had performed it?   Has Audra recorded any of the ballads from the show?  Are they better? But of course she could rework her vocal technique and dramatic approach as part of the rehearsal period of the show.  After Angela's revival, has a revival of "Gypsy" ever actua

Straddling the Line Between Baritone and Tenor  Dec 20 2023, 12:04:03 AM

Great question. I like to go back a number of years to singers such as John Raitt (a true BariTenor - from baritone to dramatic tenor), Alfred Drake (true baritone), Howard Keel (more a bass-baritone) and others.   It is interesting that to me, in the 1940s and 50s, I think men's voices were lower for the Broadway stage. Larry Kert of who started in the 1950s, sang higher than a lot of the men who came before him.    I do like the singing style of the earlier singers a

New Hadestown Casting  Nov 29 2023, 07:04:23 PM

hearthemsing22 said: "I would love to see any of you do a Broadway contract without calling out."  

Whatever you do please don't ask that question of an Ethel Merman or Mary Martin or scores of others who did not call out throughout their long careers. Different era I know but still. ...

HARMONY previews  Oct 27 2023, 11:36:42 PM

ardiem said: "Saw this last night and I mostly agree with BoringBoredBoard40 & bwayphreak234. There's a great story here, but as presented it wasn't done justice. One song's melody stuck with me, though, for the wrong reason - the duet between the wives seemed to be lifted verbatim from Chopin's Prelude Op.28 No.4."

Julie mentioned on social media that the duet was based on Chopin.  It was discussed back in May on Playbill.com as well. 

Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl  Aug 8 2023, 06:52:49 PM

Thrilled by the recoup. I wish that the otherwise informative NYT had  mentioned the transfer as Beanie to Julie to Lea. Julie did keep the show open until Lea could so triumphantly take over. And Julie established her own fan base as well for the Thursday crowd. Glad for such a happy ending. 

Broadwaycon 2023  Jul 19 2023, 12:36:09 PM

I haven't seen discussions of this event which is in a few days. I have attended in the past, twice,  as a guest of a presenter and it was less interesting the second time. The lineup this year is a bit meh to me. Not so much star power?  Lots of emphasis on Wicked. And surprisingly at least 10 unfilled slots at least as of last night. Curious to hear back from folks attending.  

CAMELOT (2023) - Reviews  May 31 2023, 06:59:35 PM

Finally get to post my thoughts!  Caught the show mid April, and absolutely loved it.  The new book didn't bother me, and in fact while trying to think what I liked about it, I thought that the concept was a bit "Downton Abbey"  Especially Phillipa Soo who reminded me more than once of Lady Mary --- in her character arc.  From appearing to be uncaring to finally showing her warmth as a person -- she did remind me of Lady Mary.  I found Soo to be quite th

Julie Benko as Fanny - Funny Girl  May 31 2023, 06:51:52 PM

I caught Julie Benko last month with mainly the "standby" cast:  eg both standbys were on for Nicky and Mrs. Brice.

Just now posting my thoughts.   To me it was a textbook example of how to keep a broadway show tight and fresh.  The energy level was incredibly high, the audience extremely enthusiastic. Julie was superb, and she had great chemistry with Jeremiah James.  The show was polished and an example (to me) of how to maintain quality during a Br

Walking Out at Intermission - The Thread  May 26 2023, 01:38:49 PM

I keep seeing this thread as "working" out at Intermission  I think I need to go more often to the gym.  My walkouts are few.  "King David" at the New Amsterdam.  It was past midnight and the show didn't appear to be ending anytime soon.  "Barnum" on tour with Stacy Keach.  After he fell off the tightrope 3 times, and then started singing off key I left.  And "Falsettos"  - local production.  The actors h

Shapoopi  May 26 2023, 01:33:09 PM

Was the spelling of the song changed for the revival?  I have always known it as "Shipoopi"

There was a thread on another group some years ago, and 4 people spelled it differently.  I guess the title lends itself to that?

Musical songs about warnings  Apr 3 2023, 07:35:26 PM

I personally like "Fair Warning" from Harold Rome's "Destry Rides Again." (1959) and would "Just you Wait Henry Higgins " also be a warning song?

Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway  Mar 10 2023, 01:50:59 PM

Thanks, love.  I appreciate your response.  Helpful, welcoming and kind.

Big hugs to you! 

PS  Don't dimiss the value of single ticket purchases!!!  Lots of singles out there add up to a lot of seats sold.  Again I really welcomed your response.  

Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway  Mar 10 2023, 12:53:03 PM

Was about to hit "click" to buy a ticket and then I read that Lancelot sings "I Loved You Once in Silence."   If I can't hear Phillipa Soo sing this --- one of my favorite Lerner and Loewe songs --- I am not sure I want to see this . That is a major change for me.  Other changes I can more easily live with.  I admired Donica's intensity in "My Fair Lady" -- -but I find his singing too pitchy to want to hear him in yet another slow ball

SUNSET BOULEVARD at the Kennedy Center  Jan 31 2023, 09:32:05 PM

SJB continues to perplex me . After "Falsettos" was a huge fan. Voice and acting.    But then her concert from Lincoln Center (PBS) was less than glorious. I felt she was shouting the highest notes -- no flip to a more warmer sound.  I also attended a program where she spoke of Crest Strips and Cher for what seemed like an eternity.  (It was how she found her "Cher" voice).  It was a lot about a little.   When she did the "Stars"

Would love to see a revival of Bells are Ringing with Beanie  Jan 11 2023, 03:46:12 PM

Hello, and since you asked.   I did see the Faith Prince revival twice.  I saw it in Stamford(freezing cold rain that day as I recall) and up entering the theater I remember a lady whacked me with her cane because I think she thought I had cut in line to get in. I didn't!  LOL  So, I was on the front row.  And another lady comes up and asks me if I can move over.  I said "sure" especially because Comden and Green ended up sitting next to me.&nb

Would love to see a revival of Bells are Ringing with Beanie  Jan 10 2023, 08:19:05 PM

I saw this idea mentioned on another website and it struck me as a perfect role.  I rewatched video footage of Beanie in Funny Girl, and I was struck by her radiant smile, big heart, and obvious love of performing and of her audience.  All of the qualities that Judy Holiday had -- and a terrific sense of humor and comic timing which they both share.   I think vocally Ella's music would be perfect for Beanie.  I don't know if Bells are Ringing is a show that fo

SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread  Dec 24 2022, 06:32:28 PM

Was "Sugar" renamed "Some Like it Hot, the Musical" for anything other than the 2002 Tony Curtis tour?  I think it was referred to as "Sugar"  for subsequent productions.   So not an official title change except for this one touring production? 

“The Hours” at The Met - Renée Fleming, Kelli O’Hara, & Joyce DiDonato  Dec 17 2022, 12:13:33 AM

Hello all.  I am a huge fan of Fleming, and I was surprised how worn her upper voice sounded at times, at least on the HD (on Demand)  Did it sound like this in the house ? Several times, at the end of Act I, and the trio in Act II, she appeared to be off the mark as far as intonation.  Did they mention anywhere that she might have been under the weather.  Perhaps at this point in her long and important career, the high lying parts of the role are no longer comfortable for

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You