News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Shirley Hemphill

Shirley Hemphill Profile Photo
Member Name: Shirley Hemphill
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Speed-the-Plow excitement thread...  Sep 10 2008, 04:15:39 PM
I saw the original twice in the summer of 1988 and Madonna was just fine in the role... getting the people in the audience to shut up & listen to her without talking about her constantly was the problem. (and i do mean constantly -- it was ridiculous "wow she's so tiny!" "i can't believe that's her right there!", people shouting her name, OUT LOUD, DURING THE SHOW, people commenting on her hair, her make-up, her clothes -- throughout the ENTIRE show)
re: 9 to 5 song list and order!  Sep 10 2008, 04:12:48 PM
I cannot believe there's not an "Atta Girl" number!?!??!
re: What should I take my brother to?  Jan 3 2008, 06:53:25 PM
Just to clarify from my original post at the start of this thread, I never said my brother had no sense of humor, but you're right, you don't have to be gay to enjoy Xanadu. (and p.s. he loved Spamalot & I'm pretty sure he'd enjoy Xanadu too, but I just don't think I can convince him - and he's 42 for those who asked).

We've already seen on this & various other visits:

The Farnsworth Invention
Spamalot
The Drowsy Chaperone
Jersey Boys
Wicked
Rent
Grey G

What should I take my brother to?  Jan 2 2008, 04:01:39 AM
My brother's visiting for 2 weeks -- what plays should I take him to? Any suggestions on how to rank this list? (or any alternate ideas?)

1. November
2. Rock & Roll
3. Is He Dead?

I would love to take him to Xanadu but I just don't think he'll appreciate the campy fun. (He's straight).

re: Review of Grease 8/7/07  Aug 8 2007, 09:52:46 PM
I'm so glad I finally unloaded my tix to this hot mess. I think i'd rather gargle my own dung than have to sit through it & at least now I didn't waste any $$$$.
Hilarious Comments...  Aug 6 2007, 08:48:06 PM
yesterday on line for Jersey Boys, I overheard a couple directly behind me in line - they were looking across the street at Hairspray and the man says "What's that about? What's the big deal?" -- the woman responds: "Oh it's a silly show about a gay hairdresser... it's supposed to be REALLY funny though!"

oy.

re: Rosie's Opinion of Hairspray, I Finally Disagree With Her.  Jul 22 2007, 12:12:13 PM
She was one of the biggest mainstream B'way supporters over the years on both her own show & The View. She is known around the world as a HUGE B'way fan -- and whether you like it or not, she has a lot of people's ears... She's certainly not trashing the show, merely answering someone's simple question on her blog.

I suppose you think more people care about the opinion of a bunch of teenage b'way wannabes?

wed matinee dress code  Jul 22 2007, 11:43:09 AM
i'll dress up for the theater again when they put in comfortable seating with legroom & stop trying to cram us all in to a tiny little space that may have felt roomy & comfy back in the 1930's when people had smaller frames.

and no, i am not fat -- but i am short (5'5) & I cannot believe the trouble I have with legroom, I cannot imagine what it's like for normal height & taller folks...

re: Hairspray Box Office Tracking Thread  Jul 22 2007, 11:37:19 AM
The weekend estimates at DeadlineHollywoodDaily.com put HAIRSPRAY at #3 for the weekend as expected.

#1 I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry - $34.7 Million
#2 Harry Potter/Order of the Phoenix - $33.2 Million
#3 Hairspray - $28.7 Million

Hairspray's numbers dropped from Friday to Saturday, where Potter's numbers jumped presumably due to kids & family's matinees.

Still a nearly $30 million opening for a musical is nothing to be ashamed of.

Even with bad r

re: Fantasia / Color Purple question  Jul 11 2007, 09:10:53 AM
thanks so much! Getting tix for my mom & trying to decide if i should join her - saw the show with Lachanze, but would love to see Fantasia...
Fantasia / Color Purple question  Jul 11 2007, 08:53:45 AM
what's the best way to find out how long Fantasia is scheduled to perform in The Color Purple?

Also, does anyone know how often she's out (or when it's most/least likely for her to be out)?

re: Who was that young boy on TONYS?  Jun 11 2007, 12:00:17 AM
He's MARK INDELICATO -- star of Ugly Betty (he plays her nephew) -- he & his Ugly Betty character are HUGE Broadway fans, he even performed an entire number from Hairspray on an episode earlier this year. His character is loved & embraced by his family on the show just for being himself. Frankly, I find it wonderfully refreshing to see how totally accepted this kid can be these days... How awesome that he can be HIMSELF!
re: Defying Gravity Dance Mix  May 1 2007, 11:15:01 PM
It's so weird to see how many of you so-called music fanatics have absolutely no clue what "techno" music is. By describing Tracy Young's mix of "Defying Gravity" or any of the officially commissioned Rent remixes as "Techno" or "Technofied", it just proves you don't know what you're talking about.

Techno is what you may have heard on certain nights at the Limelight in the early 90's. It sounds nothing like what is considered dance music today -- which grew out of house music in the 8

times article regarding eating in the theatre  Jan 7 2007, 09:56:30 PM
All those obnoxious FAT tourists most of you seem appalled by PAY your favorite actors' DAMN BILLS. Remember that.

Anytime I've been to London, they allow people to bring food to the seats and it's never been a problem for me.

re: The Grease reality show and what I'm going to do...  Jan 3 2007, 12:39:49 AM
Can't anyone appreciate the attention this "trashy" series is gonna focus onto Broadway? The overall longterm benefit of getting young people, all over the country, excited about a Broadway show?

It's not like untalented hacks are gonna make it through -- so what difference does it make if they are cast through a talent contest?

Wake up -- Tickets need to be sold to keep all the people you worship working.

re: Oscars won't 'Listen' — Beyonce disqualified in song race  Jan 2 2007, 10:02:57 PM
Does anyone know for sure IF the rules have actually changed? Or is it just possible that the REAL truth about who wrote (or didn't write) "Listen" is coming out now?

Did Beyonce just get a co-writing credit & publishing on the song but not actually do any writing?

That would really suck -- I'm a big supporter of Beyonce, especially right now when it's become so fashionable to HATE ON HER... but I've always been suspect of her actual involvement in this particular song.
<

re: Dreamgirls  Jan 2 2007, 02:30:33 PM
I thought he was great & totally cute. Don't kill me for this, but something about his face -- his eyes & his smile especially -- reminded me of what Michael Jackson might've looked like had he not mucked with face via repeated nosejobs, chin implant, permanent eyeliner tattoos, etc. or suffered from vitiligo. If the cute little Michael had just grown up -- i think that's what he might've looked like.
re: Did anyone see Jennifer Hudson at Hammerstein?..Comments  Jan 2 2007, 12:59:17 PM
The song is NOT eligible for the Oscars -- ONLY songs written specifically for a film are eligible. Thus, only "Listen", "Love You I Do", "Patience", and "Perfect World" are eligible.

So those rumors about Hudson being contractually obligated not to sing THE song until the Oscars are absolutely horsecrap.

re: Life After Tomorrow (Annie Orphans Documentary) Airs on Showtime  Jan 2 2007, 12:34:10 PM
I Tivo'd the documentary over the holidays & finally watched it last night and thought it was really quite entertaining. I loved hearing all the behind the scenes stories and even the darker stuff didn't cloud my opinion or memories of the show.
re: Did anyone see Jennifer Hudson at Hammerstein?..Comments  Jan 2 2007, 01:40:32 AM
who knows? She did NOT perform it the other night & disappointed so many fans.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You