pixeltracker

What should I take my brother to?

What should I take my brother to?

Shirley Hemphill Profile Photo
Shirley Hemphill
#1What should I take my brother to?
Posted: 1/2/08 at 4:01am

My brother's visiting for 2 weeks -- what plays should I take him to? Any suggestions on how to rank this list? (or any alternate ideas?)

1. November
2. Rock & Roll
3. Is He Dead?

I would love to take him to Xanadu but I just don't think he'll appreciate the campy fun. (He's straight).

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#2re: What should I take my brother to?
Posted: 1/2/08 at 4:09am

I think you took the term "straight theatre" too far, dear. Take him to 'little mermaid'

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#2re: What should I take my brother to?
Posted: 1/2/08 at 8:40am

JUST- FYI- I knew straight guys who like Xanadu. Its not limiting to gay audience only re: What should I take my brother to?

BTW-The plays you mentioned specially Rock N Roll is not for everyone. I have seen 65 shows last year which most of it are 'straight' plays (straight meaning -not musical) and I am still struggling with Tom Stoppard's plays.

If he does not like campy - The 39 Steps & Spamalot are out. I'd suggest Disney's , Jersey Boys or Young Frankenstein for musicals...and any plays...

Hope you guys have a great time at the theater!

J*

Updated On: 1/2/08 at 08:40 AM

mominator Profile Photo
mominator
#3re: What should I take my brother to?
Posted: 1/2/08 at 8:52am

Stoppard as genius as his works are really is not for everyone (gay or straight, young or old)
Xanadu is funny as heck, and a campy good time.
Spamalot and YF, are good safe choices as are Jersey Boys and Curtains.

"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien
Updated On: 1/2/08 at 08:52 AM

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#4re: What should I take my brother to?
Posted: 1/2/08 at 8:53am

Since when does Straight = No Sense Of Humor?

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

mominator Profile Photo
mominator
#5re: What should I take my brother to?
Posted: 1/2/08 at 8:55am

Very good question WBAF, my husband liked Xanadu a lot.

"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien

artscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
#6re: What should I take my brother to?
Posted: 1/2/08 at 8:58am

I'm gay and I hated Xanadu. The only thing being gay makes me love is sex with men.

Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.
Updated On: 1/2/08 at 08:58 AM

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#7re: What should I take my brother to?
Posted: 1/2/08 at 9:08am

LOL- WBaF ! & Artscallion- LOL too-dont we all?

BTW- I think there's a misconception about Xanadu-The main characters in Xanadu are straight (Sonny & Kira)

The muses are sex-less (IMO) though they call themselves "sisters" ..two were played by men.. and they are not gay... they can be women or men.. they are mythical creatures.... thought I think ..there's 1 gay character in Mt. Olympus....(for comical relief) that said.... B*tch... I dont know your life? and another one which is a spoiler.

Click this fANADu photo thread on their website and you will be suprise how many STRAIGHT MEN with wife and kids that love Xanadu...
http://xanaduonbroadway.com/fanblog/index.php

J*

Updated On: 1/2/08 at 09:08 AM

mominator Profile Photo
mominator
#8re: What should I take my brother to?
Posted: 1/2/08 at 9:41am

"Click this fANADu photo thread on their website and you will be suprise how many STRAIGHT MEN with wife and kids that love Xanadu... "

***jumping up and down and waving hand*** Count my family in

SpellingBeeFan4Ever Profile Photo
SpellingBeeFan4Ever
#9re: What should I take my brother to?
Posted: 1/2/08 at 11:47am

Selling Bee! See it before it closes!

He's a faker, and you've been taken in by his con. And in doing so, you are enabling him. He is doing more damage to aspergers than papa's words ever could. -Chane/Liverpool on me having asperger syndrome.

Wanna Be A Foster
#10re: What should I take my brother to?
Posted: 1/2/08 at 11:51am

Actually, I would agree on SPELLING BEE. I have taken so many family and friends to this show over its run, and every single one has had a complete blast. It is SO much fun.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."

SpellingBeeFan4Ever
#11re: What should I take my brother to?
Posted: 1/2/08 at 2:05pm

I actually took a bunch of family members once and they all loved it!

He's a faker, and you've been taken in by his con. And in doing so, you are enabling him. He is doing more damage to aspergers than papa's words ever could. -Chane/Liverpool on me having asperger syndrome.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#12re: What should I take my brother to?
Posted: 1/2/08 at 2:13pm

A whorehouse.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#13re: What should I take my brother to?
Posted: 1/2/08 at 2:47pm

I would suggest either Spelling Bee or Is He Dead?

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

george95
#14re: What should I take my brother to?
Posted: 1/2/08 at 2:51pm

Take him to CHICAGO; lots of women in underwear, and men in tight shirts too if he hasnt decided yet : )

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#15re: What should I take my brother to?
Posted: 1/2/08 at 3:13pm

"Selling Bee! See it before it closes!"
Ya! Selling Bee, they sell lots of stuff. Great for gifts...
I kid.. I kid...

SpellingBeeFan4Ever
#16re: What should I take my brother to?
Posted: 1/2/08 at 7:25pm

DRS, we all know you hate spelling bee.

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#17re: What should I take my brother to?
Posted: 1/2/08 at 8:41pm

That's totally not true. Its a new found love, after disliking it my first time. Cannot wait to go to closing night.
Updated On: 1/2/08 at 08:41 PM

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#18re: What should I take my brother to?
Posted: 1/3/08 at 12:27am

Shirley H. poster... what is your brother's age? RC in Austin, Texas

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Shirley Hemphill Profile Photo
Shirley Hemphill
#19re: What should I take my brother to?
Posted: 1/3/08 at 6:53pm

Just to clarify from my original post at the start of this thread, I never said my brother had no sense of humor, but you're right, you don't have to be gay to enjoy Xanadu. (and p.s. he loved Spamalot & I'm pretty sure he'd enjoy Xanadu too, but I just don't think I can convince him - and he's 42 for those who asked).

We've already seen on this & various other visits:

The Farnsworth Invention
Spamalot
The Drowsy Chaperone
Jersey Boys
Wicked
Rent
Grey Gardens
Fat Pig
In a Dark Dark House
Some Girl(s)
Avenue Q
Spring Awakening
Hairspray
Proof
(and more but this is all I can recall)...

Anyway just trying to decide if we'll check out any shows (musical or play) while he's here this visit...

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#20re: What should I take my brother to?
Posted: 1/3/08 at 8:40pm

what about YF

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#21re: What should I take my brother to?
Posted: 1/3/08 at 9:57pm

AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY.

dear god it's amazing.

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

pushdabutton Profile Photo
pushdabutton
#22re: What should I take my brother to?
Posted: 1/3/08 at 10:04pm

I would also suggest Chicago or how about The Lion King.

MerMaggieGalinda
#23re: What should I take my brother to?
Posted: 1/3/08 at 10:22pm

My straight, musical-hating teenage brothers actually enjoyed Wicked. Well, they enjoyed it a lot more than Phantom, which they fell asleep during along with my dad.

Wanna Be A Foster
#24re: What should I take my brother to?
Posted: 1/3/08 at 10:24pm

NAKED BOYS SINGING!

-Kad