pixeltracker

Speed-the-Plow excitement thread...

Speed-the-Plow excitement thread...

Morgaine885
#1Speed-the-Plow excitement thread...
Posted: 9/4/08 at 4:39pm

I think this is going to be a knock-out production.

And I can imagine all the Entourage and Mad Men fans that are going to flock to the show for Jeremy and Elisabeth and come out discovering another star...Raul Esparza.
Updated On: 9/4/08 at 04:39 PM

AlgonquinProd2 Profile Photo
AlgonquinProd2
#2re: Speed-the-Plow excitement thread...
Posted: 9/4/08 at 4:47pm

I saw the original and, even though I am not the biggest David Mamet fan, I thought it was terrific, even with Madonna. I'll probably see this the first week.

HollyDiver
#2re: Speed-the-Plow excitement thread...
Posted: 9/4/08 at 5:14pm

I am such a sucker for Raul, his performances are always so emotional. Can't wait!

...and there is something about Jeremy Piven that screams "douchebag" to me. I hope I am wrong.

I'd rather be reckless than rockless.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#3re: Speed-the-Plow excitement thread...
Posted: 9/4/08 at 5:15pm

So excited to see this...

Ed_Mottershead
#4re: Speed-the-Plow excitement thread...
Posted: 9/4/08 at 6:01pm

Joe Mantegna and Ron Silver were terrific in the original; Madonna was execreble. Hope the balance is better this time (I don't think it could be worse, but . . . . )

BroadwayEd

BustopherPhantom Profile Photo
BustopherPhantom
#5re: Speed-the-Plow excitement thread...
Posted: 9/4/08 at 6:11pm

I wrote this, for myself, after the casting announcement:

So Raul Esparza, confirming his status as the get-this-guy-working-again-actor of recent years, has been cast in the upcoming Broadway production of David Mamet's Speed-the-Plow, in the role of Charlie Fox. Opening is schedueld for October 23 (previews start October 3).

Later in the season, David Hyde-Pierce will be starring in a revival of the Samson Raphaelson comedy, Accent on Youth: opening is scheduled for April 29, 2009 (previews start April 7).

Wait a minute.

Woah, deja vu.

Something terrible just happened.

Wait.

David Hyde-Pierce and Raul Esparza. Both in the Leading Actor category.

David Hyde-Pierce vs Raul Esparza.

(pause)

Oh God... OH GOD...

But seriously, after all the fuss last year (mostly started by mwa), I'm just happy to be happy whenever Raul gets cast in another show. It isn't worth it to get all worked up again.

"Y'know, I think Bertolt Brecht was rolling in his grave."
-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#6re: Speed-the-Plow excitement thread...
Posted: 9/4/08 at 6:17pm

HollyDiver, trust that instinct.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

scaryclowns223 Profile Photo
scaryclowns223
#7re: Speed-the-Plow excitement thread...
Posted: 9/4/08 at 6:17pm

I am more excited for this show than I have been for any other show in a long long time.

I'll be there, and I'll be pumped up. I just pray they do a good job with it, because it would be really hard to mess this up at this point.

keen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
#8re: Speed-the-Plow excitement thread...
Posted: 9/4/08 at 9:57pm

I watched part of ENTOURAGE tonight, my first contact. Not my cup of tea but since Piven plays a douchebag in that he should be perfect for his role in STP. And since Elisabeth Moss plays a clever and not entirely innocent secretary in MAD MEN, she is perfect for her STP role. And since Raul chews scenery, his is great for Charlie Fox. They certainly didn't go outside anyone's comfort zone in casting this.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#9re: Speed-the-Plow excitement thread...
Posted: 9/4/08 at 10:04pm

Very excited for this production. For both the cast AND the play. Tickets should be on sale soon!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#10re: Speed-the-Plow excitement thread...
Posted: 9/4/08 at 10:11pm

The AMEX pre-sale already started. General public sales start next Saturday.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#11re: Speed-the-Plow excitement thread...
Posted: 9/4/08 at 10:22pm

Very excited. I'm not big on Mamet, but I've only ever read his work, and not seen it performed. His writing is the kind for which a stage and gifted actors can make all the difference. I think I'll really enjoy seeing Speed-the-Plow performed.

I just started watching Entourage and I, despite my expectations otherwise, really like it. Piven's definitely well-cast. I don't know anything about Mad Men, but I'm excited to see Elisabeth Moss since people seem to really like her. And that other guy... yeah, I guess I'll take him. re: Speed-the-Plow excitement thread...

I'm planning on going to the first preview. Super excited.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

heathurr2 Profile Photo
heathurr2
#12re: Speed-the-Plow excitement thread...
Posted: 9/4/08 at 10:26pm

I'm coming to New York for a weekend, and although I know I won't have time to cram this play in - I am still going to try!
I LOVE Raúl. I'm indifferent about Piven, and only know Moss from West Wing - yet, I feel this is a solid cast.
Very exciting.

"As we all should probably have learned by now, to be a Stephen Sondheim fan is to have one's heart broken at regular intervals" - Frank Rich

"I think it's appropriate: iSondheim - a Sondheim for the new generation! (wailing guitar riff) Get your kids hooked early on Sondheim, so they'll grow up to be just as emotionally stilted and self-conscious as we are! - BustopherPhantom

keen on kean
#13re: Speed-the-Plow excitement thread...
Posted: 9/5/08 at 1:21pm

I believe they started rehearsals this week?

JenNYferTheatrical Profile Photo
JenNYferTheatrical
#14re: Speed-the-Plow excitement thread...
Posted: 9/5/08 at 2:14pm

Not a big Mamet fan, but the cast has me sold. I can't wait!

keen on kean
#15re: Speed-the-Plow excitement thread...
Posted: 9/5/08 at 5:37pm

I am wondering if they will do it without intermissions. It is really short, and we have some fast talking actors in this production!

Morgaine885
WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#17re: Speed-the-Plow excitement thread...
Posted: 9/10/08 at 12:07pm

I agree. Raul looks fantastic...and by fantastic, I mean HOT!

Shirley Hemphill Profile Photo
Shirley Hemphill
#18re: Speed-the-Plow excitement thread...
Posted: 9/10/08 at 4:15pm

I saw the original twice in the summer of 1988 and Madonna was just fine in the role... getting the people in the audience to shut up & listen to her without talking about her constantly was the problem. (and i do mean constantly -- it was ridiculous "wow she's so tiny!" "i can't believe that's her right there!", people shouting her name, OUT LOUD, DURING THE SHOW, people commenting on her hair, her make-up, her clothes -- throughout the ENTIRE show)

BustopherPhantom Profile Photo
BustopherPhantom
#20re: Speed-the-Plow excitement thread...
Posted: 9/15/08 at 11:38am

I love the background music for that video: a gentle, lovely guitar that has NOTHING TO DO WITH DAVID MAMET.

"Y'know, I think Bertolt Brecht was rolling in his grave."
-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum

humbugfoto Profile Photo
humbugfoto
#21re: Speed-the-Plow excitement thread...
Posted: 9/15/08 at 11:51am

LOL Raul!

"I like the language, I like the kick-ass nature of Mamet’s writing….getting to do something where you get to throw your balls up against the wall….I like that."

Sarcasm is an allergic reaction to stupid people.

Morgaine885
#22re: Speed-the-Plow excitement thread...
Posted: 9/19/08 at 10:28am

Elisabeth and Raul are going to be on Playbill Radio next week.

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/121501.html

Playbill Presents
Sept. 24: Multiple Tony nominee Raúl Esparza and "Mad Men" co-star Elisabeth Moss talk to host Robert Viagas about Speed-the-Plow on Broadway.

This week's "Playbill Presents" debuts at 7 PM (ET) Wednesday, with repeats scheduled for (all times ET) 2 AM Thursday, Sept. 25; 11 PM Thursday, Sept. 25; 2 PM Friday Sept. 26; 4 PM Saturday, Sept. 27; and 11 AM Sunday, Sept. 28.

Edited versions of the "Playbill Presents" programs are available as podcasts.

RentBoy86
#23re: Speed-the-Plow excitement thread...
Posted: 9/19/08 at 10:32am

They put the marquee up - it looks great.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#24re: Speed-the-Plow excitement thread...
Posted: 9/19/08 at 10:32am

Two weeks!!

A work of art is an invitation to love.