News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for SoCalDirector

Member Name: SoCalDirector
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Profile: I am no longer on the West Coast or a director. I am now retired from my long time career as a director and acting teacher. I am now an East Coast writer. BW doesn't allow you to change your name but here I am. While I don't love the cold and snow I do love being near Broadway when it reopens.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Boy George in MR  Feb 7 2024, 01:49:45 PM

oh, really? I just read Charles Busch’s  autobiography, Leading Lady.  He wrote the book for Taboo.   He paints a much different portrait.  I’m not going to repeat what he said here, but buy the book.  I will say that he found the entire experience traumatic, and would never do another musical.

HERE LIES LOVE closing November 26  Nov 7 2023, 04:40:00 PM

When I saw Here Lies Love and notice the extensive renovations for the theater. I was thinking if this doesn’t last, this would be a great place to modify for Cabaret.

& Juliet Lottery  Aug 7 2023, 01:46:41 PM

I wanna lottery seat which was front row but all the way on the side. Because I had already seen the show, I didn’t feel I was missing anything that I didn’t know what was happening.
At different parts of the show Stark Sands and Ben Jackson Walker were just a few feet from me.

RIP to Carlin Glynn, Tony winning star of BEST LITTLE WHOREHOUSE... (and mom of Mary Stuart Masterson)  Jul 21 2023, 01:01:55 PM

https://lasttimeisawdotcom.wordpress.com/2015/08/22/thetriptobountiful1985/

Carlin also played Geraldine Page's overbearing daughter in law in the Oscar Winning A Trip to Bountiful directed by her husband Peter Masterson.

Something I didn't know until today is that Carlin went to high school with Tommy Tune who co-directed with Peter and that they all knew the songwriter Carol Hall from a theatre in Texas (I believe.)

Stage Dooring on the West End  Jul 11 2023, 06:01:03 PM

I rarely stage door in New York or anywhere else. When I went to London, I wanted to see Mary Poppins because I was so enthralled with Charlie Stemp having seen him in Hello, Dolly! 

after the show, I was just walking around in the back of the prince, Edward theater had signage from the original name of the theater. And there’s also a plaque that Mozart had written something at that location which I believe was before the theater was there.

Charlie had posted on

Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread  Jul 6 2023, 10:27:06 AM

George in DC said: "I know this won't be popular but if this transfers, I hope Tony Yazbeck will be the lead. I am tired of British actors getting roles that should go to Americans.

"if this show comes to New York, it’s only because of Charlie.

First of all, I saw 64 shows last year, including seeing this in Chichester three times last summer. Charlie’s performance in this is the best I saw the entire year including Broadway in the West End

Walking Out at Intermission - The Thread  May 20 2023, 02:18:18 PM

I have seen a whole lot of shows in my lifetime, but I’ve only walked out of a few.  I’m always optimistic that maybe it will get better and not too much sometimes happens.

I’ve only walked out of one Broadway show, the recent revival of Oklahoma!  The main reason I wanted to see it was to catch Ali Stroker’s Tony award winning performance.  She was out and playing Ado Annie was the dance captain who is clearly cast for her dancing not comed

Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!  May 6 2023, 03:09:49 PM

JSquared2 said: "Alessio2 said: "Saw Oliver on opening night and I thought it was overall excellent. I didn't know the show at all and was surprised how dark it gets in the second act. I am still confused why Raul Esparza got the last bow and not the actor playing Oliver, which is the title character after all."

I think that Benjamin is well known from The Music Man.  While, Annie always got the final bow in the musical Annie I'm pretty sure

Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!  May 4 2023, 01:15:10 AM

I was there tonight and Benjamin Pajak, as Oliver's rendition of Where Is Love? stopped the show  with the biggest ovation. I've heard since Lea Michele's Don't Rain on My Parade in Funny Girl.

Lilli and Raul were also outstanding.  Aside from the sort of odd opening, the audience seemed to be loving the show tremendously.

West end stage door  May 4 2023, 01:07:25 AM

It is not largely a thing in London.  When I went to see Mary Poppins, I was just walking around the block, and I came to the alley behind the stage door, which was interesting because it had the name of the original theater and a plaque that Mozart had written something in the building that used to be there.   There was only a handful of people waiting outside no rails or guards.  Charlie Stemp, who was starring is Bert came out and walked right up to me.   What a darling

Palace Theatre construction  Apr 9 2023, 08:22:53 PM

OuttaTowner said: "A week or two of 1-2 night’ers would be even better! Babs for 2, Bette for 2, Adele for 2 and maybe someone like a Reba for 2. Call it “Showbiz Royalty at the Palace.”

And my vote for a show to follow that week would either be the Crazy for You revival with Charlie Stemp or the hinted-at revival of Kiss of the Spider Woman with some A-listers!
"

I saw Charlie Stemp in Crazy For You in chichester three times, and he was b

SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting  Feb 28 2023, 11:43:25 AM

Someone in a Tree2 said: "Haven’t seen this SWEENEY yet, but I come from a set design background, and my dictum concerning sets is: a brilliant performance with a terrible set will be a disappointing night of theater for me. (The Ahmanson’s current SECRET GARDEN comes to mind.) But a brilliant set housing a substandard performance? (GRIND is a classic example.) There I’ll still leave the theater feeling I got my money’s worth.

I fully understand thi

Soho Cinders by Davis, Stiles & Drewe  Feb 27 2023, 05:35:22 PM

I saw this in London in 2019 and thought it was a mess.   The premise was good enough but the show was basically given to the stepsisters in terms of focus.  It was barebones like an off-off Broadway show.   I don't know what I was expecting but left totally bewildered at what I had just seen.  I can't imagine it coming to the US.  Everyone's Talking About Jamie should come here first.

'Some Like It Hot' Opening Night Is A-LIST  Dec 6 2022, 10:47:10 PM

poisonivy2 said: "A celeb guest list won’t fix the fact that the show is awful."

that's complete BS. I thought the show was fantastic and loved every minute of it and I am glad to be going back on opening night.

what is wrong with these nasty negative people who just make up lies and put them on this message board? All your lives so pathetic that's all you have to do?

You don't have to like a show, but you didn't dismiss the work o

Which Shows Will Perform in the 2022 Macy’s Parade?  Nov 24 2022, 07:13:00 PM

SouthernCakes said: "I feel like tap dancing is … tired"

Hardly..  It is fabulous for a lot of people.  I adored all the tap in Some Like It Hot, Funny Girl and the few musicals that show it off.

What I find tired are the negative Nelly's who have to bad mouth everything.

KIMBERLY AKIMBO Previews  Nov 10 2022, 11:40:54 AM

thinton said: "There have been a couple mentions of language in this thread. About how many f-words would you guess there are in the show? Just trying to gauge whether I should take my kids."

In addition to language Kimberly's criminal Aunt (a wonderful Bonnie Muiligan) offers a sex act on an underage boy for $20.  Not sure if that would be inappropriate for some kids..

KIMBERLY AKIMBO Previews  Nov 9 2022, 07:55:27 PM

At the show tonight.  It opens tomorrow.  Three of the male cast are out and the musical director.  I glanced at the insert quickly before curtain and saw 4 male names  All the 3 male understudies are on tonight.   Interesting.

& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread  Nov 9 2022, 06:12:47 PM

I originally bought a ticket for World. I was notified by the production that the team that seat which was number seven to be obstructed view and they moved me to the second seat in row B on the side. I don't think my original seat is even there anymore. I do think row a is not great because you have to look up. I'm very tall and Robert was pretty good except for some soft will be blocked because of the angle

Merrily tickets  Oct 3 2022, 12:13:28 PM

That was a scary rush.   I entered as most people at 12:00 and was number 1007.  Since so many performances were sold out before this started, so I wasn't sure if I would have any luck.   I came across a performance with limited availability- I ended up with a front row seat.   Too close, maybe.  But better than no ticket at all.  I did see Dan in Equus from the front row and I am assuming that he will have a lot more clothes on in this.

Andrew Lloyd Webber Changing The Title of 'Cinderella'  Sep 21 2022, 12:44:20 AM

I think the best alternative Cinderella title ever was Cindy-Ella (Or I've Got Shoe) -196@'s British musical starring Cleo Laine. I used to have the final version but foolishly purge them all when I thought vinyl is gone forever.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You