News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for benjamin_barker

benjamin_barker Profile Photo
Member Name: benjamin_barker
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Sweeney Todd Set Design ideas...
 Mar 26 2007, 05:36:00 PM
Those pictures are great!

And, lightguy06222, it's for Australian National University (ANU). It's an inter-college production, and I'm hoping it'll be pretty big, but I figured I'd check out just how easy a set I could get away with...

Sweeney Todd Set Design ideas...
 Mar 26 2007, 02:08:43 PM
I'm (hopefully) directing a production of Sweeney Todd at my university... in preparation for it, I was wondering if anyone had seen community theatre/college productions and how they went about the greater challenges of set design/scenery... particularly Sweeney's chair and its links to the bakehouse.

I have a few ideas, but I'd love to go for the most entertaining (and not too minimalist) idea, without - obviously - having to construct a huge set ala professional productions.

When bad reworkings happen to good shows
 Jan 15 2007, 10:29:09 PM
Okay, so the title of this thread is an incredible exaggeration, but I've noticed on occasion tiny little changes to shows, when they're reworked from out-of-town or for film, that seem to serve no purpose other than to annoy me by deleting a beautiful piece of music.

The quintessential example, for me: "Little Lotte" in Phantom. As anyone who has heard the Original Cast knows, its one of the most haunting, beautiful moments of the score. (Particularly Raoul's voice!) In the film, its s

re: A Chorus Line Bows
 Jan 15 2007, 10:09:10 AM
"Dont Snow White and Sleeping beauty double in parts, so the actor bows for both?"

I'm not sure what they do on stage, but at least on the DVD they appear to be people who have no other role in the performance, at least that I could tell.

re: A Chorus Line Bows
 Jan 15 2007, 09:38:08 AM
Just tonight, watching Into the Woods DVD, I noticed that Snow White and Sleeping Beauty - two incredibly incredibly minor parts - weren't included in the bows at the end.

Maybe getting credited in the playbill is enough for them? I'm not sure, it is a little strange...

re: CLUE: The Musical
 Jan 15 2007, 08:57:00 AM
Bumping this thread, cause I too would really be interested in any clues as to how to get a hold of this.
re: Bring Megan Mullally to Broadway!
 Jan 15 2007, 02:43:39 AM
jimnysf, I think you have a point - but admittedly that's harder to speculate about!

"Can you imagine if Doyle got a hold of Grease?"

Hee hee hee, now I'm imagining Sandy reimagined as a jukebox.

"She has the comic timing and Voice to pull of an Amazing Reno Sweeney."

Reno is SO Megan. I'd kill to see her sing Blow, Gabriel, Blow.

re: MGM plans millions of movie-based musicals
 Jan 15 2007, 02:27:56 AM
Completely agree, Rentboy. And if David Hyde Pierce and Sarah Paulson reprised their roles, it would be even better!
 Jan 15 2007, 02:22:08 AM
B3TA07, I'll pay that!

And yes, is it worth seeing Grease revived again just for her?

Well, maybe...

Jan 15 2007, 02:16:30 AM
Charlotte or Desiree in Night Music?

Okay, now I'm just fantasising to suit my own sick tastes...

re: Official Video/DVD of musicals
 Jan 15 2007, 02:09:43 AM
I guess this was the answer I was expecting. Well, I guess I'll just hope for a more musically-minded future then, to dust off these old recordings and get them out there.

Or I'll have to sleep with someone in the biz, and get them for free. Either way!

Jan 15 2007, 02:06:51 AM
(keeping in mind she's almost 50, although she doesn't look it)

Mama Morton?

Dolly?

Dorothy Brock in 42nd Street?

Reno Sweeney in Anything Goes?

Lilli in Kiss Me, Kate?

re: Official Video/DVD of musicals
 Jan 15 2007, 01:35:30 AM
Exactly! To echo Elaine Stritch, once a production is over, new generations should still be able to see this work!
 Jan 15 2007, 01:21:26 AM
"She is probably very contented living in LA, after all she would hardly need the money and eight shows a week is a hell of a slug week in, week out."

I think you can like both though! I mean, Mary-Louise Parker or Blythe Danner have been increasingly prominent in LA the last few years, but neither of them have dropped their connection with the stage. I think that, now that Megan has a name for herself in the west, she could take some time to come back and have fun on stage. I mean, she

re: Great off-Broadway plays & musicals that never made the transfer to Broadway...
 Jan 15 2007, 01:19:04 AM
"Do you think it's possible for L5Y to have a successful run in a Broadway house, despite it's being "small?"

I think that L5Y is one of the bet musicals to come out this decade, and I do think some of these should have a chance to have a greater run.

But you're right: not only is it relatively short, but also has a small scope in an era that appreciate the big nature of Wicked, Phantom and Les Miz. (Although admittedly shows like Grey Gardens and DRS focus more on a core grou

Official Video/DVD of musicals
 Jan 15 2007, 01:13:17 AM
Having recently gone through a buying blitz and getting all the Sondheim shows available on DVD, I'm wondering:

Given that we live in an age that is increasingly aware of capturing the magic of the stage (in things like PBS' great performances, and the aforementioned Sondheim), are most (or many) new Broadway shows filmed? Obviously not with intent to sell, but by directors for posterity? Or just as a matter of habit?

I ask partly because I wanna know why more aren't available

re: Will Broadway always be 'gay'?
 Jan 14 2007, 10:39:55 PM
"Dance divas? You can have 'em. But Aussie foot ball? I got my dancin' shoes strapped on for that. "

Well, let it never be said that Aussie football doesn't have a *few* things to make it worth watching :p

re: gay charecters' coming out
 Jan 14 2007, 10:35:26 PM
Well it is talked about in A Chorus Line, although its hardly a focal point like, say, Falsettos.
re: Will Broadway always be 'gay'?
 Jan 14 2007, 12:17:55 AM
Sadly, I tend to get the opposite of this bias... when people find out that theatre-loving-little-ol-gay-me is a die-hard baseball fan, they look at me funny.
 Jan 13 2007, 10:43:50 PM
If you've listened to her albums, I personally think she's got a pretty strong voice... she tackles a range of songs, and she's definitely not about to sell out! (She sings everything from "Lonely at the Top" to "Johanna").

I honestly think she could tackle any part she tried, but I might have a tiny crush on her...

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You