pixeltracker

MGM plans millions of movie-based musicals

MGM plans millions of movie-based musicals

musicalkid Profile Photo
musicalkid
#1MGM plans millions of movie-based musicals
Posted: 1/14/07 at 8:22pm

"MGM on Stage", is apparantly planning dozens of musicals based on their property.

I never objected to movies being turned into musicals, as long as it was in reasonable proportions with original shows. but this really scares me.
few examples of their professed "upcoming projects" include: Rain man, man in the iron mask, heart breakers, moonstruck.

has anyone heard anything about any of these productions?

source: http://www.mgmonstage.com/

Bring Disney's "Der Glockner Von Notre Dame" To Broadway!
http://musicalkid.multiply.com/
Updated On: 1/14/07 at 08:22 PM

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#2re: MGM plans millions of movie-based musicals
Posted: 1/14/07 at 8:28pm

Oh my goodness.
MORE MOVIES turned MUSICALS!?
Geeze.
I like the idea of HEARTBREAKERS.
The others make no sense.
However, I'm looking forward to LEGALLY BLONDE.

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 1/14/07 at 08:28 PM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#2re: MGM plans millions of movie-based musicals
Posted: 1/14/07 at 8:29pm

Strouse & Adams already wrote Minsky's & Marty. Moonstruck has been mentioned many times.

I would love to see Midnight Cowboy , Rainman & Where's Poppa (needs a DVD release)musicalized

Poster Emeritus

Carl Magnum Profile Photo
Carl Magnum
#3re: MGM plans millions of movie-based musicals
Posted: 1/14/07 at 8:30pm

Heartbreakers and Moonstruck have been in "the works" for years with, as far as I know, no movement being made on either. I'd say don't worry about any of them right now.

I got rid of my teeth at a young age because... I'm straight. Teeth are for gay people. That's why fairies come and get them

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#4re: MGM plans millions of movie-based musicals
Posted: 1/14/07 at 8:34pm

Get Shorty is also "in the works." With a score by Matthew Sklar and Chad Beguelin.

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/97205.html

Personally, of the whole list, MOONSTRUCK is the logical choice. It lends itself to music so well. Why it's been dead in the water for so many years baffles me.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde
Updated On: 1/14/07 at 08:34 PM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#5re: MGM plans millions of movie-based musicals
Posted: 1/14/07 at 8:36pm

I said the same thing re Marty & Minskys

Minskys would be great on Broadway whereas Marty would work better off Broadway I think

Poster Emeritus

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#6re: MGM plans millions of movie-based musicals
Posted: 1/14/07 at 8:40pm

"DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS
Now Playing on Broadway"

I see they update their site...

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#7re: MGM plans millions of movie-based musicals
Posted: 1/14/07 at 8:41pm

Good point

Poster Emeritus

purpleprince101 Profile Photo
purpleprince101
#8re: MGM plans millions of movie-based musicals
Posted: 1/14/07 at 9:02pm

pink panther!? maybe
get shorty?
mermaids- maybe

goofy108 Profile Photo
goofy108
#9re: MGM plans millions of movie-based musicals
Posted: 1/14/07 at 9:16pm

weekend at bernie's could be hilarious. it could be the next dirty rotten scoundrels with the right duo.

purpleprince101 Profile Photo
purpleprince101
#10re: MGM plans millions of movie-based musicals
Posted: 1/14/07 at 9:17pm

most would be good off- broadway

kyle. Profile Photo
kyle.
#11re: MGM plans millions of movie-based musicals
Posted: 1/14/07 at 9:53pm

The Thomas Crown Affair?(?????)

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#12re: MGM plans millions of movie-based musicals
Posted: 1/14/07 at 9:56pm

It looks like they want "Weekend at Bernie's" to be the next "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels." The logo seems eerily similar to "Dirth Rotten Scoundrels" to my eye.

I wish I could form a better opinion on a few of these projects, but I haven't seen any of the movies they have listed as upcoming projects.

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

Raviolisun Profile Photo
Raviolisun
#13re: MGM plans millions of movie-based musicals
Posted: 1/14/07 at 10:02pm

*dies a little inside*

One time, Patti LuPone punched me in the face...

It was awesome.
- theaterkid1015

FindingNamo
#14re: MGM plans millions of movie-based musicals
Posted: 1/14/07 at 10:03pm

Desperately Seeking Susan: The Into the Groove Musical

"At last, musicals are fun again!" LaVerusso.net

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

RentBoy86
#15re: MGM plans millions of movie-based musicals
Posted: 1/14/07 at 10:03pm

"Weekend At Bernie's" ---> Could work with Yazbek. It seems like they're catering to the same "frat guy" crowd as DRS.

"Thomas Crown Affair" ---> What a horrible idea for a musical. Who's in charge of this stuff? It sounds horrible. Why not put some money into something new.

MotorTink Profile Photo
MotorTink
#16re: MGM plans millions of movie-based musicals
Posted: 1/14/07 at 10:08pm

This really scares me.

BroadwayBoobs: I'll give all of you who weren't there a hint of who took the pictures ...it rhymes with shameless

SOMMS: I knew it was Tink!

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#17re: MGM plans millions of movie-based musicals
Posted: 1/14/07 at 10:17pm

I'm intrigued by a musical of MIDNIGHT COWBOY. I sure hope they give this to an Adam Guettel and not to a Frank Wildhorn.

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#18re: MGM plans millions of movie-based musicals
Posted: 1/14/07 at 10:17pm

SUSAN was mentioned in a recent thread and apparently is to be a jukebox musical based on Blondie songs. Why theyre not using Madonna eludes me. I mean, I can see the thing working, but Blondie??? Heck, who was in the movie, fer cryin' out loud...

http://docandraider.com

jimnysf
#19re: MGM plans millions of movie-based musicals
Posted: 1/14/07 at 10:32pm

Where's Poppa (needs a DVD release)

It's already on DVD. I have it. It's $12.99 on Amazon.com

As for the upcoming MGM on stage projects, please get me some extra barf bags! "The Pink Panther"?!! Are they kidding? Maybe "Mermaids" could play across the street from "The Little Mermaid" and then we could have Siren, the mermaid from "Passions" in a new musical, too. It could be an all mermaid season.

I think Jerry Herman needs to write the scores for "Midnight Cowboy" and "Rain Man"!

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

buffyactsing Profile Photo
buffyactsing
#20re: MGM plans millions of movie-based musicals
Posted: 1/14/07 at 10:33pm

Mermaids the Musical sounds like it would be fun. I was just watching it earlier today.

I can imagine:

"Dear God, Save Me Please
My mother, is a sleezy
whore, all she wants to do is score
and I can't take it anymore!

Me, I want to be a nun,
gee I think it would be fun
to be part of the brether-un.

But this guy, see I think he's really cute
and he doesn't mind my boots
Stop! Don't wanna be of ill-repuuuuttteee!!!"

Oy

"This ocean runs more dark and deep than you may think you know...I'll be the fear of the fire at sea." -Marie Christine

jimnysf
#21re: MGM plans millions of movie-based musicals
Posted: 1/14/07 at 10:40pm

Well, Siren the Mermaid is engaged to Frank Wildhorn. Imagine the possibilities.

Siren says, "...I started off as a piano player, but then I changed my talent to singing, which worked out a lot better for me. Coincidentally, for Miss America, I sang “Take Me As I Am,” which is one of the songs I sing on “Jekyll & Hyde: Resurrection.”

re: MGM plans millions of movie-based musicals

Brandi Burkhardt aka Siren The Mermaid

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

Dibbledl01
#22re: MGM plans millions of movie-based musicals
Posted: 1/14/07 at 11:00pm

omg, jimnysf, are you serious about her being engaged to frank wildhorn? i went to a master class of his and he pointed her out and i was like "where did she come from?". thanks for the info

musicaltheater1 Profile Photo
musicaltheater1
#23re: MGM plans millions of movie-based musicals
Posted: 1/14/07 at 11:03pm

I'd like to see a musical version of "Joy Luck Club."

"I love acting. It is so much more real than life." Oscar Wilde
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Huxley

RentBoy86
#24re: MGM plans millions of movie-based musicals
Posted: 1/15/07 at 2:24am

After watching "Down With Love" I think it would work well in a musical. I like how it's stylized.

Videos