pixeltracker

When bad reworkings happen to good shows

When bad reworkings happen to good shows

benjamin_barker Profile Photo
benjamin_barker
#1When bad reworkings happen to good shows
Posted: 1/15/07 at 10:29pm

Okay, so the title of this thread is an incredible exaggeration, but I've noticed on occasion tiny little changes to shows, when they're reworked from out-of-town or for film, that seem to serve no purpose other than to annoy me by deleting a beautiful piece of music.

The quintessential example, for me: "Little Lotte" in Phantom. As anyone who has heard the Original Cast knows, its one of the most haunting, beautiful moments of the score. (Particularly Raoul's voice!) In the film, its spoken.

Then, the one that led me to post this thread, the Sunset Boulevard reworking (for LA/Broadway) cuts a beautiful bit from the original London show, where Artie suggests a few film ideas to Betty and Joe ("how about a brilliant pianist- - " followed by a beautiful little piano run).

Obviously, I understand why shows are reworked, and why changes are made for films; I'm not trying to complain about that. I just wonder, in these cases...

Am I crazy? Or do the people behind productions just not get the beauty of some of the things they write?

(And, yeah, I wish I could've come up with some non-ALW examples, too!)

"Demons are prowling everywhere, nowadays..." - - Tobias, "Sweeney Todd"

husk_charmer
#2re: When bad reworkings happen to good shows
Posted: 1/15/07 at 10:33pm

I actually really enjoyed the Funeral sequnce in "Wicked" that was cut during try-outs...

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#2re: When bad reworkings happen to good shows
Posted: 1/15/07 at 10:33pm

Half the cut A Little Night Music songs.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

Horton Profile Photo
Horton
#3re: When bad reworkings happen to good shows
Posted: 1/15/07 at 10:36pm

Some very funny dialogue from the Odd Couple was cut out of town for its original run.

Mistress_Spouzic Profile Photo
Mistress_Spouzic
#4re: When bad reworkings happen to good shows
Posted: 1/15/07 at 10:40pm

sometimes cool songs/scenes have great material but throw off the timing of the show as a whole. I liked when young tarzan had more toys during previews, especially the wheel, and there was a few witty exchanges between young tarzan and terk that I wish couldve stayed (like a comment about terk not being an alpha male) but the scene ran too long and he barely played with the toys so they served little purpose.

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#5re: When bad reworkings happen to good shows
Posted: 1/15/07 at 10:41pm

It's so tempting to point out the title of the thread to you right now.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#6re: When bad reworkings happen to good shows
Posted: 1/15/07 at 10:43pm

The sanitizing of Annie get Your Gun

Poster Emeritus

Parks
#7re: When bad reworkings happen to good shows
Posted: 1/15/07 at 11:16pm

I know lots of people didn't enjoy the changes made for the Into The Woods revival.

I think it looked cool. I wish I had gotten to see it.

"If it walks like a Parks, if it wobbles like a Parks, then it's definitely fat and nobody loves it." --MA

Mistress_Spouzic Profile Photo
Mistress_Spouzic
#8re: When bad reworkings happen to good shows
Posted: 1/15/07 at 11:20pm

are you talking to me? I havent seen too many shows in previews and thats really the only show reworking Ive seen first hand that I actually disagree with.

The only Hairspray changes I remember from previews were all for the better. Same goes for Light In The Piazza, except maybe some of the entrances and exit locations were more interesting during previews. Ive seen Jekyll & Hyde with Good N Evil and Ive seen it with Bring On The Men, I like both.

SporkGoddess
#9re: When bad reworkings happen to good shows
Posted: 1/15/07 at 11:24pm

The Jekyll and Hyde changes made for Broadway.

I also miss "Only Love" from The Scarlet Pimpernel, even if it did cut down the action, it was pretty much taken right from the book, plus it was a gorgeous song.

And I also miss "Sacred Bird" from Miss Saigon. Supposedly they took it out because it was too stereotypical of Asians, but it was such a beautiful song.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

#10re: When bad reworkings happen to good shows
Posted: 1/15/07 at 11:48pm

Spork waht recording of Saigon has that song? I always get confused which stagings used which finish

Well I don't liek the current "revised" present day script for Company at all though I think there have been some decent productions using this script--I still think the original script works better, I miss tick Tock, I miss it notbeing set in 1970 (and I miss that damn oh so 70s synth in the original orchestrations--not to mention the Vocal Minority singing in the pit)

Likewise I think all the revisions to Follies have weakened James Goldman's originally much more stylized script and making it more literal does the work a disservice--I wish the original script could still be used for productions.

Zorba--an extremely underated Hal prince/Kander and Ebb work (it may be my 3rd fave of their shows, and I think is an important step in the concept musicals of Hal Prince between Cabaret to Company often forgotten). the revisions again removed much of the brilliant concept and framing device for a more literal version, the happier revisions to script and lyrics (and added song) don't work for me, etc...

I *love* the Chicago revival even if people are starting to take it for granted but I do miss some of the edited to script from the original production.

I don't really get the RSC revival of Secret Garden--yeah it's closer to the book but I think (at least on paper and CD) it misses much of what I loved about the original production.

Back to Sondheim--I think *some* of the changes made to Merrily We roll Along work but I do miss a lot of elements from the original

Kevinoes Profile Photo
Kevinoes
#11re: When bad reworkings happen to good shows
Posted: 1/16/07 at 12:14am

- The new reworking to the recent revival of 3PENNY OPERA.

jimnysf
#12re: When bad reworkings happen to good shows
Posted: 1/16/07 at 12:17am

"Spanish Rose" from "Bye Bye Birdie". It's either revised or replaced when the show is performed.

"Living in the Shadows" from "Victor, Victoria" was missing from the Raquel Welch version.

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#13re: When bad reworkings happen to good shows
Posted: 1/16/07 at 12:31am

The Broadway version of Grey Gardens.... I loved the offbroadway version. Well the music.

SporkGoddess
#14re: When bad reworkings happen to good shows
Posted: 1/16/07 at 12:15pm

EricMontreal22: I believe that they changed it for the Broadway production. The OLC has it, whereas the CSR has the new finale. IIRC before they got the final version of the new finale, they used a song called "Little God of My Heart" which was also quite pretty, but oh well.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

FrontRowFirst Profile Photo
FrontRowFirst
#15re: When bad reworkings happen to good shows
Posted: 1/16/07 at 2:10pm

The reworking of Big for the US tour was horrible. I really enjoyed the Broadway version and it got decent reviews. Not sure why they chose to change everything. I really disliked the tour.

That's just one that jumps out at me.

MaronaDavies
#16re: When bad reworkings happen to good shows
Posted: 1/16/07 at 3:59pm

You know, I wonder that too sometimes...if occasionally the creators just don't see some of the best aspects of their shows.

I remember seeing "Bombay Dreams" in London right as it was opening. It was brilliant. Then they brought it to B'way, made it a happy show, took out all the good songs, changed the characters, changed the script, storyline, ending, opening...I still can't believe how badly they screwed it up.

purpleprince101 Profile Photo
purpleprince101
#17re: When bad reworkings happen to good shows
Posted: 1/16/07 at 4:05pm

i liked the funeral sequince in wicked when i saw it out of town

bwayfan4life
#18re: When bad reworkings happen to good shows
Posted: 1/16/07 at 4:36pm

Same with Jekyll and Hyde. I saw the pre-Broadway tour. It was impressive. It was suspensfull, thrilling and at times a little scary. The death scenes were incredible, it was truly a gothic thriller. I then saw the Broadway version a few years later, it was like watching a really great movie, edited for television. I don't get it.

It's gonna be a happy new year.......RENT

theminutepast
#19re: When bad reworkings happen to good shows
Posted: 1/16/07 at 4:44pm

Most of the changes done to the Les Miserables score for the revival.

keen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
#20re: When bad reworkings happen to good shows
Posted: 1/17/07 at 7:43pm

The entire translation of the revival of 3Penny Opera. Meant to shock and distress the audience - it did that, it just left the characters with nothing human to work with.

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#21re: When bad reworkings happen to good shows
Posted: 1/17/07 at 8:00pm

Most of the changes made to the La Cage revival. Why?

The_Jackal2 Profile Photo
The_Jackal2
#22re: When bad reworkings happen to good shows
Posted: 1/17/07 at 9:18pm

What was the funeral sequence in the out of town Wicked tryouts? That sounds slightly familiar, but I've only seen the current tour.

sondheimboy2 Profile Photo
sondheimboy2
#23re: When bad reworkings happen to good shows
Posted: 1/18/07 at 9:31pm

How about the last revival of "Damn Yankees"?

The show didn't need re-writing.

The only good things that were done to it were making "Close To You" a trio and Greg Jbarra's butt shot.

"A coherent existance after so many years of muddle" - Desiree' Armfelt, A Little Night Music "Life keeps happening everyday, Say Yes" - 70, Girls, 70 "Life is what you do while you're waiting to die" - Zorba

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#24re: When bad reworkings happen to good shows
Posted: 1/18/07 at 9:39pm

When they cut, "We'd Like to Thank You" from the '98 Annie revival. Then again, that entire revival was a mess in comparison to the wonderful original production.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Videos