A Chorus Line Bows

pianoman215 Profile Photo
pianoman215
#1A Chorus Line Bows
Posted: 1/15/07 at 9:20am

Why don't the dancers that are the first ones to be eliminated in A Chorus Line not included during the bows? Aside from children who don't stay until the end of a show, is this the only time members of a company do not take bows with the other cast members?

benjamin_barker Profile Photo
benjamin_barker
#2re: A Chorus Line Bows
Posted: 1/15/07 at 9:38am

Just tonight, watching Into the Woods DVD, I noticed that Snow White and Sleeping Beauty - two incredibly incredibly minor parts - weren't included in the bows at the end.

Maybe getting credited in the playbill is enough for them? I'm not sure, it is a little strange...

"Demons are prowling everywhere, nowadays..." - - Tobias, "Sweeney Todd"

Horton Profile Photo
Horton
#2re: A Chorus Line Bows
Posted: 1/15/07 at 9:41am

Dont Snow White and Sleeping beauty double in parts, so the actor bows for both?

mijofly19
#3re: A Chorus Line Bows
Posted: 1/15/07 at 10:05am

All four of them are included now, but in the very first preview of Spring Awakening the ensemble members on-stage weren't included in the bows. I went to see the show for my second time 5 (or so) days later and the four of them were included. I just found it odd that they would start previews without everyone getting a bow.

benjamin_barker Profile Photo
benjamin_barker
#4re: A Chorus Line Bows
Posted: 1/15/07 at 10:09am

"Dont Snow White and Sleeping beauty double in parts, so the actor bows for both?"

I'm not sure what they do on stage, but at least on the DVD they appear to be people who have no other role in the performance, at least that I could tell.

"Demons are prowling everywhere, nowadays..." - - Tobias, "Sweeney Todd"

TWSFan4Ever Profile Photo
TWSFan4Ever
#5re: A Chorus Line Bows
Posted: 1/15/07 at 10:36am

So, currently, are the people in A CHORUS LINE eliminated at the very beginning in the Finale?

BtMartin25
#6re: A Chorus Line Bows
Posted: 1/15/07 at 11:02am

Well, having been "The Boy In The Headband", it really does suck not getting any bows. Of course we had to quick change the cast, and then go to the backstage mics to belt out the last number.

bt

TWSFan4Ever Profile Photo
TWSFan4Ever
#7re: A Chorus Line Bows
Posted: 1/15/07 at 11:05am

Are the people that get kicked out at the very beginning in the Finale, but just offstage (as said in the complete Book of the show).

pianoman215
#8re: A Chorus Line Bows
Posted: 1/15/07 at 11:34am

Only the principles get to wear the "One" costume and take their bows. The ones that are cut at the beginning of the show do not appear at the end.

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#9re: A Chorus Line Bows
Posted: 1/15/07 at 11:52am

Think of the cut dancers as understudies who get to dance on stage every night with the regular cast. once they are cut, they go backstage, and sing part of the montage and finale, while they are offstage.

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

pianoman215
#10re: A Chorus Line Bows
Posted: 1/15/07 at 3:17pm

Pippin, good way to look at it. I am surprised that Equity doesn't have rules or guidelines associated with curtain bows however.

Bdwy24
#11re: A Chorus Line Bows
Posted: 1/15/07 at 4:25pm

That's a Michael Bennett choice. Im sure he has a good reason. The cut group dance the opening and sing backstage for the rest of the show.

pianoman215
#12re: A Chorus Line Bows
Posted: 1/15/07 at 4:31pm

I am certain it was a Michael Bennett choice, but just wondering if other shows have done this and am surprised that Equity doesn't have a rule that if you appear on stage during a production, you should be included during the bows.

By the way, I loved the show - saw it Saturday. I originally saw the show when I was a kid and enjoyed it, but was very surprised how emotional I was during it. I cried alot!

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#13re: A Chorus Line Bows
Posted: 1/15/07 at 4:49pm

In Les Miz the actress playing young Cosett and young Eponine don't bow. The only times they do bow is after an afternoon preformance. Only because they have to stay around till the evening one. But, I think that duringan 8 PM show after they do thier parts they go home.

Also, it's not unommon to have people who are understudies and standbys backstage singing as part of the chorus. There are a lot of shows that need more voices then are on stage and so they hve the understudies and standbys sing off stage.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

pianoman215
#14re: A Chorus Line Bows
Posted: 1/15/07 at 5:03pm

Right, but these people are part of the show, part of the opening number. I presume that if one of them call out, there is another to take their place. These aren't backstage voices.

LANYC
#15re: A Chorus Line Bows
Posted: 1/15/07 at 5:04pm

Im sorry but Equity doesn't need to poke their noses in curtain bows. I'm sorry but finding that to be some equity rule instead of an artistic choice is a little frightening

Broadway Matt Profile Photo
Broadway Matt
#16re: A Chorus Line Bows
Posted: 1/15/07 at 8:23pm

I posted about this at length (a little too much length) in a similar thread a few weeks back:

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?boardname=bway&thread=921212

"The last train out of any station will not be full of nice guys." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"I wash my face, then drink beer, then I weep. Say a prayer and induce insincere self-abuse, till I'm fast asleep"- In Trousers

FutureElphie Profile Photo
FutureElphie
#17re: A Chorus Line Bows
Posted: 1/15/07 at 8:45pm

In Jersey Boys, I don't remember Frankie Valli's daughter coming out to bow. She did have a pretty small part though

-I couldn't help it Janet! She was just like you, only french... ~Robert-The Drowsy Chaperone~

FindingNamo
#18re: A Chorus Line Bows
Posted: 1/15/07 at 9:17pm

But what about the people who are cut at the beginning of the show? Do they get to bow?

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Horton Profile Photo
Horton
#19re: A Chorus Line Bows
Posted: 1/15/07 at 9:40pm

ummmm see above?

Videos