News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for MayAudraBlessYou2

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
Member Name: MayAudraBlessYou2
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/19/24
 May 23 2024, 01:23:13 PM

Yes, I understand your point entirely. But finding success in regional markets is almost always easier when the show has spent time on Broadway (even as a flop). There will be more press, more powerful industry figures will have seen it, you can advertise it as a Broadway musical which has pull for the general public, etc. Disaster was famously upfront in admitting that they knew they would not be a success on Broadway, but they needed to produce it there for licensing.

While I'm s

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/19/24
 May 23 2024, 10:30:28 AM

I'll note again about Heart of Rock and Roll: Broadway really isn't their end goal. This is a show that will do well with a tour, it would be super popular on a cruise ship, and regional theaters will be happy to scoop it up once those rights become available. That's ultimately where they see the money. 

So getting it to this week's road conference was of the utmost importance to them. It was never going to close before this week, or ever announce a closing prior t

Anyone Watching Elsbeth?
 May 19 2024, 10:03:30 PM

I couldn't get through the first episode of this one. It's incredibly tedious and reminded me why I steer clear of broadcast networks these days. 

If I want a modern day Colulmbo, then I'll bring up Poker Face. That's a brilliantly performed, directed, shot episodic crime story. Elsbeth is silly to the point of absurdism. Really want to get into this for the Broadway guest stars but I don't think it's for me. 

What is the worst production you have ever seen on Broadway? What is the worst show?
 May 19 2024, 09:42:00 AM

Amazing Grace, The Snow Geese, Be More Chill, The Parisian Woman, KPOP.

The current Cabaret at the Kit Kat Club and Uncle Vanya revivals both made me want to leave at intermission, though I stayed to suffer through act 2.

Dame Judi : Trigger Warnings
 May 15 2024, 10:02:19 AM

In her answer, it's clear that she had absolutely zero context about trigger warnings or how they are applied. So without context I can understand why someone would be confused about the whole thing. But they can be useful for a wider percentage of the population than one would think.

The most prime example is with autism friendly performances. Many theater companies have been broadening the scope of these offerings, retitling them to sensory friendly. Because it turns out ther

Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
 May 14 2024, 04:18:09 PM

With Kristine Nielsen as Dainty June and Sigourney Weaver as Herbie.

Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
 May 14 2024, 03:03:10 PM

He is! But it's actually THREE writers. Most insiders only know about the David Mamet vs. Harvey Fierstein battle for the new book. But few know that Christopher Durang secretly wrote a treatment of Gypsy before he passed away and had it delivered directly to Audra. Sentiment will tip it his way for sure. Can't wait until the 2025 Tonys!

Nicki Cochrane! Nicki Cochrane!
 May 14 2024, 10:06:06 AM

The rudest and most disrespectful person in NYC. It is absolutely mind boggling that some folks are still trying to turn her into some adored figure.

She once refused to get up out of front row seats (plural because she took up an additional seat with her heaps of garbage) which had been reserved for military veterans who were getting a special callout at the performance. She only moved when one of them got in her face and I threatened to call the police on her.

And remember the

2024 Outer Critics Circle Nominations & Awards
 May 13 2024, 11:54:43 AM

I know Odom isn't nominated here. I'm considering all the smaller theater awards. I've been talking to folks with Drama Desk, OCC, Dorian, and Drama League. They all have de-gendered categories for acting, and while their ultimate slate of nominees differs (DL is obviously not a direct comparison and doesnt quite fit here given their acting prize) it has been quite interesting hearing similar trends that emerge. One of those trends is that when lead actor and actress in a play are

2024 Outer Critics Circle Nominations & Awards
 May 13 2024, 10:53:31 AM

Kara Young is incredibly strong for Featured Actress. It will definitely be between her and Sarah Pidgeon, but I'm talking to a lot of people leaning towards Young, and they still vividly recall her performance.

Also of note...I think Jeremy Strong fans will be disappointed on Tony night. Leslie Odom Jr. could also pull out a win and has been an extremely popular choice in these early awards. In an all gender category, the women are reigning though. I'm told Lange, Paulson, and

Is Cabaret the next Chicago?
 May 13 2024, 01:14:51 AM

This is absolutely out at 18 months. Or a little sooner. Word of mouth is poisonous. The entry into the space is fun and everyone wants an instagram shot of the green neon eye...but then what do you have? $29 cocktails, rough music, a story told on a tiny stage with little in the way of "spectacle" for the tourists, directorial choices that baffle and alienate the established theater fans. I don't see it winning any Tonys either (Bebe could be possible, but both Lindsay Mendez a

Update on the Times Square Theatre
 May 8 2024, 01:28:30 PM

It is not "beyond a new life". There have been plenty of interested parties with legit, feasible plans for the building. Including the current one. It has just had an unfortunate string of bad luck with tenants. It's a major piece of (very expensive) real estate. Sometimes it takes years to find the right fit for such a property. It is a very common occurrence in the city. Take the 7 or N out to Queens and take a look at the array of vacant buildings littering the streets, some

May 8 2024, 12:33:50 PM

For the 1000th time....if you raise the theater the loading dock would still be on 42nd St. It doesn't work. Multiple interested parties have looked into making it a Broadway theater. It has been deemed unfeasible every. single. time. It will not now, or ever, be a Broadway theater.

Raising the building is also not an option. It is historically landmarked. And it is one of 7 theater spaces that the city has charged New 42 with revitalizing and finding new life for. The Times Square

May 8 2024, 11:22:56 AM

Construction is on a bit of a pause right now. I'm told the tenants ran into a bit of a money issue with one of their sources of funding pulling out.

The building is set to house several stores with one larger "flagship" store...but supposedly the business lined up for said flagship is no longer interested, hence some funding dropping out. They are potentially rethinking the main floor layout as there is a chance they might eliminate the flagship space in favor of several

If Stereophonic didn’t transfer…
 May 8 2024, 11:12:30 AM

I'd add Michael Imperioli for a potential Featured Actor nomination. It's a big scene chewy role. And since Stereophonic has 3 men in the category, I think Imperioli, Keen, and Esper would be next in line to take their spots. 

I was shocked that Francis Benhamou was omitted from featured actress. That monologue was crazy. As for the second woman here, I think perhaps Natalie Gold (Appropriate) or Zenzi Williams (Jaja's) would have made the cut.

And I think you&#

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/5/24
 May 7 2024, 02:34:15 PM

Heart of Rock and Roll producers are likely going to push the thing through the end of May most likely, in order to run during the spring road conference. They need those presenters to see the show as that is their actual goal for the musical. I predict it will run through 5/26.

2024 Pulitzer Prize Predictions
 May 6 2024, 11:36:01 AM

Since part of the criteria for the Pultizer is depicting American life, plays with a strong message about the current state of our culture can have a leg up here. Something to keep in mind.

I think The Comeuppance is the likeliest choice. But these folks surprise us every year. 

Other options: (pray), Wet Brain, Stereophonic, The Ally, Flex, Manahatta, Primary Trust

77th Tony Awards Performance Predictions
 May 6 2024, 11:30:47 AM

Last year the Tonys had 4.3 million live viewers. While this number is far behind many pre-pandemic years and behind other awards shows, it is still an excellent advertising opportunity for Broadway productions. Live TV numbers are down across the board, so this is still an incredible amount of people to get in front of at once (and most of that audience are people who would be potential ticket buyers). Plus its a major event that will receive TV and online coverage in the following days, and

Insert name of show : posting closing notices
 Apr 30 2024, 12:36:07 PM

I think Heart of Rock and Roll likely announces closing this evening. The only caveat is that they clearly have other plans for this one: it's built for a tour and cruise ships, directly appealing to middle America (I mean the plot...do I follow my dreams of working a great factory job or follow my dreams of playing with my friends in a band?). I think those markets really are their end goal, so there's a chance they throw money into it for a few more weeks if they need to get more ro

2024 Tony Predictions
 Apr 29 2024, 06:04:16 PM

Wow, Greg Evans (Deadline) is yet another journalist super strong on Lempicka...and I don't think I buy it. Eden could still get in, and there's a sliver of a chance for score because of the memorable songs. I just don't see it landing anywhere else given the reactions to it.

Evans' article is also full of inaccuracies, often with number of slots per category (he lists 5 shows for Revival of a Musical, for instance). So I'm not taking it too seriously.

I'

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You